SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Sage User

Poor quality DivX Playback via MVP

Hi,

When I view DivX videos on my pc it is fine but when I play back through the MVP it's jumpy and pixelated. If I stream MPG2 the quality is fine. Any suggestion as to where I should start looking.

Ebkid
Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 AM
SageTVaholic

How powerful is your server? The MVP is only capable of direct playback of MPEG 2 video. Anything else must be transcoded in realtime to be played. The quality you can adjust in the server settings. But if your playback is choppy it could be that your server isn't powerful enough to do the transcoding.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:04 AM
Sage User

Thanks for yor reply.

When I playback directly on the server it is fine. It's only when I watch via the MVP that the problems start. The server is a Sempron 3000 with 1G DDR memory.

Andy
Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 AM
SageTVaholic

If you have the Divx decoder loaded on the server that is why you can play it on the server with no issues. A Sempron is not a good enough processer to transcode the Divx file to mpeg2 and send it to the MVP. You'll need at least a P4 3GHz or a Duo core or AMD x64.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

The MVP can not play DVIX files natively. The only formats the MediaMVP can play natively is Mpeg1 and Mpeg2. This means that anything otherwise, Sage has to convert on the fly to an Mpeg2 format. Since you work with Dvix files, I am sure you have converted videos before and you know how long this can take and how processor intensive this process is. Basically you have to have a processor that can convert a 1 hr DVIX recording to an MPEG2 recording in 1 hr or less. If it can't complete it in real time, then it won't play back without choppiness on the MediaMVP. This converting is called transcoding (on the fly). The best way to see if this is a processor limitation, is start the DVIX vide on the MVP, and then check your server's CPU usage. If it is pegged at 100% (or regularly hits 100%), then your server is not powerful enough to transcode on the fly for playback on the MVP.

I have never tested DVIX files on my MediaMVP, so I can't say how much "power" it takes to accomplish what you want, but I can say that an HD MPEG2 stream converted to an SD MPEG2 stream on the fly takes a 2.0+ ghz Core 2 process to accomplish (the transcoder is single threaded so therefore multiple cores will not make a difference).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Sage User

Sounds like it's time for an upgrade. I didn't want to spend out for a new server and all the hassel that goes with moving over unless I really needed it. It will also be a good reason to move over to SAGE TV v6.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Andy
Old 06-10-2008, 11:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebkid View Post
Sounds like it's time for an upgrade. I didn't want to spend out for a new server and all the hassel that goes with moving over unless I really needed it. It will also be a good reason to move over to SAGE TV v6.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Andy
I suggest you spend $200.00 and get an STX-HD100 extender it should be able to play your file without transcoding. BUT check the playback specifications before you purchase - I've been wrong before! If this works your existing server will be fine since it does not have to transcode the video for the MVP then.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

I second the HD extender idea
Old 06-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Sage User

I have the same problem but other than you I didnt seem to have had the problem before my format. It is either the newer version of SageTV or a different codec pack or something I installed. I have a 4600x2 and cpu usage never go near 100percent although my picture "shakes" and quality is not good. If I play back movies it looks like the movie has been recorded with a hand cam and the guy who recorded it was shaking alot.

Anybody have an idea? Please dont say buy a HD device cause I am skint
Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

I noticed on the website it said MPEG-1, 2, and DivX files could be played by this unit. Then later down the page it says it has dedicated MPEG hardware decoders only. So I am guessing even if you use the Hauppauge software on the back end, it is that back end PC doing the transcoding. Do I have that right?

So what would be the best format to use with DVD's, if I wanted to rip a DVD to the server's hard drive and play it on the extender? I had been using DivX but I won't if the extender doesn't play it well. I haven't purchased an extender yet but plan to when they are in stock.

thanx!
Old 06-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Sage User

DivX and Media Extender in 2008

Most of the comments I see in this thread are from years gone by. I have a pretty extensive DivX collection, and want to ensure that if I buy a Media Extender, I can view my collection without hassles.

MythTV works well (for playback), so I know it's technically possible to stream DivX with my current hardware.

Hopefully the Media Extender technology has improved over the last few years and DivX playback is no longer a problem.

Could someone let me know if this issue has been resolved?

Thanks,
Arpotu.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:20 AM
SageTVaholic

What do you mean from years gone by? This thread was started under a month ago. But anyway...

As long as you get a SageTV HD Extender it will play practically anything without issue. No transcoding required. However, if you get a Hauppauge MediaMVP as your media extender SageTV must transcode anything that is not MPEG1/2 into that so the MVP can play it. This is a limitation in the MVP and NOT SageTV. This would have to be done regardless of the software you're using for the MVP, whether it be MythTV, Hauppauge's own software or SageTV itself.

But, again, if you stick with SageTV's own HD Extender you won't have any of the limitations of the MVP. You even gain a few things like menu animations that were unavailable on the MVP.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Sage User

Eh, guess I saw some older messages. Not important; I just want to make sure my DivX collection would be playable with the SageTV Media Extender. I already have Media Center and PlaceShifter, and they work WONDERFULLY.

On a technical side, just so I can get my head around which component does what, I presume that Media Center decodes the DivX and streams it to the Media Extender. Or, does the Media Center just send the file to the Extender, who in turn runs it through a built-in DivX decoder?

Thanks,
Arpotu.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpotu View Post
On a technical side, just so I can get my head around which component does what, I presume that Media Center decodes the DivX and streams it to the Media Extender. Or, does the Media Center just send the file to the Extender, who in turn runs it through a built-in DivX decoder?

Thanks,
Arpotu.
There are two answers to this and I think this is your disconnect on it.

There are two Media Extenders:
1. Hauppauge MediaMVP
2. Sage STX-HD100

The Hauppauge MediaMVP can only play Mpeg1/2 videos and therefore any other video type your Server will have to convert the video to an Mpeg2 stream and send it to the MediaMVP. This is processor intensive, but the mediaMVP is about half the cost of the STX-HD100.

The STX-HD100 is about twice the price of the MediaMVP, but has the advantage that it can play most video types without the server help. It has built in decoders to do all the work and your Sage server just sends the stream as is. The other big advantage is that it is an HD capable device. It is well worth the additional 100 dollars IMHO. I have 3 MediaMVP's and 2 HD100's and I can tell you that the STX-HD100 kills my MediaMVP's in capabilities.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Sage User

That does explain it more clearly, thanks

I'm almost there, with regards to going ahead with the purchase of the SageTV STX-HD100. I don't have to be sold on cost; I just need to be convinced it can do the job. If I'm going to go with a SageTV solution, it will be all Sage, not a mix of Hauppage and Sage (well, except for the PVR-350 card ).

Just to make it through my thick head, is there a list somewhere of media types the STX-HD100 can play?

When I look at the specifications page (http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=HD), I see these supported formats:

MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264 up to 1080p, AVI, VOB, WMV9/VC-1 up to 1080p

...but DivX isn't listed there, although you say it "can play most media types". I also have some RMVB recordings - is that supported? Basically, if I could review an official list of STX-HD100 native codecs/formats, and DivX is on the list, I'll click the "purchase" button.

Thanks,
Arpotu.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Divx and Xvid are considered MPEG4. It is a single standard under MPEG4 part 2. So yes, it will play those. SageTV sees both of them as "MPEG4".
Old 06-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Sage User

Awesome, time to click the "purchase" button FYI, I reviewed some other forum discussions where there were issues with DivX/XviD playback, but it looks like they have been resolved. It also looks like SageTV provides semi-regular firmware updates to the STX-HD100, so I feel better about that as well.

Thanks Again,
Arpotu
Old 06-22-2008, 10:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Yea, if you are committed to using SageTV you really can't go wrong with the HD Extender. It really is the best thing since sliced bread.