SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Sage User

Multiple SageTV Servers

This might seem like a stupid question, but I was wondering if it was possible to have multiple Sage TV servers in a local LAN, that would combine the functionality of a SageTV client and a SageTV server.

The reason for the question is that I have one computer as my main Sage Server, with HD tuners, and STB integration. Furthermore, it has some media files, that are archived. However I have an older computer, with my daily accessed media files that are being modified. This older computer also has a SD tuner. I would like the older computer to use the SageTV interface to browse files on the older computer, as well as files on the Sage Server, as well as play liveTV through the SD Tuner, as it is not powerful enough to watch HD.

So, to reiterate, is the above request possible, or does it need to be hacked into functionality? I know this can be done through a combination of programs, but prefer seamlessness.

Thanks in Advance
Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 AM
SageTVaholic

You can add a network share as a media import folder on your existing Sage server. So you can access media files anywhere on your LAN through Sage without needing a second server.

To use a capture card on another machine, you'll need a second full copy of the SageTV Media Center software configured as a network encoder (see Appendix G of the manual). You won't be using this machine as a second Sage server; everything will still be managed and accessed through your existing server. You'll just be allowing that existing server to use the capture card on the network encoder machine.

That said, it might be simpler to just move the capture card to your existing server and save yourself the cost and complexity of a network encoder setup.