SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Sage User

Grand Plan Project Questions...

Hello... New to this forum... I tried to call Sage with my questions but they would not have any phone discussion with me, PERIOD... I am hoping you nice people can help... I am VERY knowledgeable about Networks... etc... Engineering... etc... BUT I am not a youngster any more... So be it... I desire to puchase 3 new 50" TV's... I am thinking that I could have a central server and/or PC... I want that server/pc to handle EVERYTHING... Do the tuning via over the air & cable & satellite... Do the recording... Distribute TV & Music MP3 & Pictures/Movies JPG/H264 and DVD Movies to ALL TV's at the same time...with different content to each at the same time while still recording something else... and also access the internet... I AM SURE I can learn the hook-up DETAILS in time to do all this, NO PROBLEM THERE... What I need is the MACRO PLAN of what I need... Do I need a dedicated PC... A dedicated Server... or BOTH... Do I need Media Extenders... Do I do this wired or wireless... How is this SYSTEM configured from a MACRO standpoint... I am asking What is the BIG PICTURE HERE... Why is the Sage Media Extender NOT 1 GIG... Isn't that kind of speed needed to move video... I need a Basic MACRO Understanding of what I need and how to set it up... Software & Hardware... Money is not a major issue... I just don't want to buy the wrong stuff... Can you help... I would GREATLY appreciate it... I am not looking for details... I am looking for the GRAND PLAN on how to do this... Thanks very much...
Old 06-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Sage Icon

Look at this post for some MACRO ideas...

To answer some of your questions...
Don't bother with wireless if you can pull wires... Wireless "may" work, but it will not be as easy.

You will need at least 1 computer to act as the server. This will not need super fast hardware - I use a low end C2D processor. This unit will have all of your tuners attached. You can also load it up with drives for storage.

As far as the requirements for viewing locations... if you need local DVD disk playback you will have to go with client PC... these will have to be pretty powerful (or with the right video card) to get good smooth playback.

If you can forgo local DVD drive, the HD extender is a great device. It is not gig, but it does not need to be.. it will only ever be passing one stream at a time.

By the way, you can mix and match clients and extenders in your network. Each full pc client requires a license of Sage Client. HD extenders come with an extender license as far as I know. The extender licenses are roaming and will also act as placeshifter license (lightweight PC client that will work over the web).

I'm sure others will fill in the gaps, but gotta run for now.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Sage Icon

You'll need a server, large beast of a case, big IO, big storage, big cooling and decently big power.

You'll need an extender at each TV location.

You can run a USB DVD drive over Cat5 to any locations you would like a drive.

I guess the better question is where is your wiring at now and how much wiring do you plan to do?

Wireless is IMHO a last resort.

10/100 is plenty fir the extender however the server and your network swicthes should be gigabit.

Run all your extenders on a dedicated network if at all possible.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post

You can run a USB DVD drive over Cat5 to any locations you would like a drive.
Nice idea. I assume you're suggesting running all of these back to the server. Does sage cope with that ok? I've not looked at the electrical requirements for usb. What kind of runs does this work with?

Quote:
Run all your extenders on a dedicated network if at all possible.
That's what switches are for isn't it? Why a dedicated network?

Mick.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Sage User

There seems to be some progress here... I appreciate it... At this point I can see JUST THIS MUCH... 3 New TV's with, lets say, 3-4 HDMI Input each... Each TV has it's own DVD player using 1 HDMI input is what I am gathering... 1 Central Server... Question... A server with just DRIVES like the HP Home Server... OR Do I need a Media PC with tuners...etc... Then 3 Media Extenders (don't understand ALL that they do)... All hard wiring... Cat 6... Will be using DSL for Internet (have that now)... What about Switches... What about Routers (hae that now)... First answer on the Server... JUST a DUMB server with drives ONLY... or a Media PC Needed... OR BOTH... I am starting to get this... Please continue to help... SLOWLY... After I get this all down... I will make the purchases and move forward... Details I will struggle through later... There will also be the need in one room for a Surround Sound Receiver (will be getting all new stuff here also) so that will need to get into the mix before I begin... EVERYTHING will be purchased NEW as I go forward... Starting ALL NEW from scratch... Please continue... There are so many questions... Also... What other brands of STUFF should I consider or is Sage the BEST... PERIOD...
Old 06-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'd love to help, but your post is impossible to scan. Try breaking individual thoughts into separate paragraphs.

People will be more willing to help, if they can quickly read what you have posted.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Sage User

I have been told to post differently... I AGREE... Remember STARTING FROM SCRATCH... Using DSL for Internet... Using Linksys Router 3rd party flashable router... BUT ANYTHING GOES... Willing to START TOTALLY FROM SCRATCH... Cost is NOT an issue...

Item#1... (OK Answered) Buy 3 50" TV's with 3-4 HDMI Inputs Each... High End TV's...Top of the line...

Item#2... (OK Answered) Buy 3 Blu-Ray DVD Players... One for EACH TV... Use 1 HDMI...

Item#3... (OK Answered) Buy 3 Sage Media Extenders...STX-HD100...

Item#4... (OK Answered) Install All Cat6 HardWire...Everywhere needed...

Item#5... (Partially Answered) Buy 1 Yamaha or Onkyo Top Line Receiver for surround sound in one room... Latest High Current Top of Line Model... Remaining Question... Where and how does this fit into the network system...

Item#6... (Waiting Answer)... Buy 1 Media Server with JUST DRIVES and no slots... OR 1 Media PC with Drives & 2 Tuners & available slots... etc...etc... OR BOTH...

Item#7... (Waiting Answer)... Consider any other brands or is Sage the BEST...

Item#8... (Waiting Answer)... What else is needed...
Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelinkup View Post
I have been told to post differently... I AGREE... Remember STARTING FROM SCRATCH... Using DSL for Internet... Using Linksys Router 3rd party flashable router... BUT ANYTHING GOES... Willing to START TOTALLY FROM SCRATCH... Cost is NOT an issue...
Not really answering your item list in order, but here goes...

Let’s make it simple and say that you have no intention of watching TV or movies on your server PC, but want it to act as a remote DVR/media center. If this is the case, and it sounds like it is, then:

a) You do not need a high-end PC with a “large case” and such. I have an old crappy PC and it works fine, because I do all of my watching on TVs through extenders, and the extenders do the transcoding work. Check the “hardware encoding” PC requirements on the SageTV page. They are pretty minimal.

b) You don’t need gigabit switches, though I am sure they are better. I have a 10/100 router that I use for my DSL, and though it is wireless for my laptop (not part of the Sage equation), I use the network jacks on the back for my Sage system. Because I ran out of jacks, I bought a little $10, 10/100 4-port switch ( just to give me more jacks). My DSL runs through these, and all Sage wiring runs through them as well. No problems at all. I also use CAT5E (not CAT6), three lines are 100' long, and that all works fine too. But from all I have read, don’t try wireless.

c) You can have BD players at each TV (your choice) but if you get software that allows you to rip them onto your server’s drive, you don’t need them. Invest in a few big hard drives instead (a TB or two) – they don’t have to be internal on your server PC, USB 2.0 works fine, just format them with 64K blocks per Sage recommendations. Then you’ll have all of your movies available through the SageTV menu without having to get off the couch.

d) As for a surround system, you would not put that on the “network”. You’d take HDMI (and/or alternately component, digital audio, or analog audio) from the individual extender to the receiver, and then (depending on your choice) run the video/audio back to the TV from there. Lots of options there (and read the old threads because apparently some methods have issues with passing 5.1 audio)… but in general, the receiver and “entertainment system” is not really part of the SageTV system, it’s a “per room” thing downstream of the extender.

e) As above, you don’t really need a media PC unless you are planning on watching TV on it. From all I have seen, it seems that WinXP works better than Vista or others. Depends on your tuners… which leads to…

f) There are many options for tuners. There are internal ones (if you buy a media PC, they would come with it), USB ones, and network ones. You can mix and match depending on what you want to buy, as long as they are compatible with SageTV (there's a list). Some are analog (rarer these days), some have a combination of analog and digital, some are digital only. If you are doing cable/satellite, you need to have compatibility with one of the methods to make the tuner “talk” to your cable/sat box, to change the channel on it when you change the channel in SageTV. I can’t help you much there since I just use OTA, and when Sage changes the channel, it changes the tuner’s channel that comes through my antennas. But I will say, you will want multiple tuners – at least two, obviously, but I would recommend at least the “number of TVs plus one”… so in your case, at least four (i.e., two “dual tuner” units).

g) As above, large hard drives are not necessary in the server PC, all you really need in the PC is enough free disk space for installing the SageTV software, plus the minimal processor speed and RAM (again, assuming you are not planning on watching TV on the PC!) Your drives can be USB or whatever, if you don’t have slots available. But I recommend having dedicated drive(s) that you format as mentioned above.

h) Sage is the only “average-joe-friendly” brand with a HD extender (AFAIK).

Hope this clears some things up.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.

Last edited by pjpjpjpj; 06-17-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Sage User

Mr pjpjpj... or anyone... PJ, I look at all the stuff you have listed as using and it seems there is more stuff than what I understand is needed... Also, I understand the forum function... It's just that as an engineer and traveler I have been ALL around the world... It just seems that the TELEPHONE is so much simpler and faster (Full Duplex rather than this Half Duplex stuff)... Forums remind me of sending RTTY or SSTV during the war... But I have NO ONE to call... So be it... What I don't seem to get is that since I DO NOT NEED a Media PC with tuners but rather just a dumb server ONLY (NO SLOTS)... NO TUNERS... Then how does the Server SEE the OTA Signal to record it for later playback... The Server has no tuner card... ergo the server has no antenna... So how does it record an over the air broadcast for later replay to the TV's... Am missing something here... ALL the finer details in what I am being told I GET & UNDERSTAND... I am still having SOME trouble with the BIG PICTURE...
Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

One of your requirements may not be met with the extenders - accessing the internet. SageTV can view YouTube and Google Videos along with weather reports, but that is pretty much it out of the box. Unless you really need more, I would recommend that you stick with the extenders. No fussing with finding the right video card, the right drivers, filters, etc.; they just work (occasional firmware updates only).

So far as getting that video into your system I would recommend the HD Homerun dual tuners. They can tune over the air digital signals or digital cable that is no encrypted. They simply plug into your network and each box has two tuners.

At this point I wouldn't recommend analog tuners unless you know you have a specific need. If you have HD satellite or encrypted cable signals that you want to capture, the Hauppauge HD PVR is your only real choice. It captures the HD component output from any device and encodes it. These plug into a USB port. You would need one for each box you want to capture from. If you use more than one you will need to control them with a USB UIRT (seach the hardware forums for more info).

I have been using the HD Homerun since it was first put on the market and I am very happy with it. The HD PVR has just been released and you probably won't be able to get one until sometime in July (if you order now). They are still working out the bugs (such as not being able to record 5.1 sound), but so far I am very happy with mine with that exception.

The main thing your server would be doing would be commercial detection if you so desire. So I agree there would not be a need for a super powerful server. But I would recommend one with dual ethernet jacks.

Hope this helps.

Wayne
Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Sage User

First, you don't need Cat6, it is more expensive and harder to work with. Cat5E is more than sufficient.

You DO need a computer to run Sage, whether you call it just a PC or a server. It should run XP. This machine is where you run your SageTV server software.

Then you have inputs (tuners) and outputs (hardware extenders or pcs). For you inputs, you can use internal cards like a Hauppauge HVR-1800 or if you prefer you can use a HD Homerun which has 2 tuners but connects to your network instead of sitting in your computer. You can have any combination of tuners both internal and external. This is where all your OTA/Satellite/Cable etc gets connected into. For viewing/outputs you can use the Extenders like the HD100 or you can use another pc of some sort running client software. The HD100 is much better imho.

So, a typical system would be a pc running Sage server software and licensing, some tuners whether network or pci/internal and extenders connected to your tv, all connected by Cat5E wiring wired to say a 8 or 16 port Gigabit switch.

The sage software will coordinate all your various tuner inputs and sources and present a unified guide. It will also stream the content to the extenders to display on the tv's. It can get much more complex but that is the overall idea.

Does that help - make more sense?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
snip
I am still having SOME trouble with the BIG PICTURE...
Have you looked at any of the system diagrams in the thread I posted here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
Look at this post for some MACRO ideas...
Do they not clear up the big picture?

Where are you located? Maybe there is someone local that would talk to you about the best setup for you.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Sage User

I must say... YOU people are REALLY giving it ALL to try to help me... I know you must be thinking... What a DUPA this fellow is... I am an extreme detail person... and sometimes I have trouble with the BIG PICTURE... But later with the details and getting down to the trouble shooting I am in my element and VERY effective... Such is me...

And YES... The latest round of answers has been VERY HELPFUL... I am starting to see the PROGRAM... ... But I am now also seeing that THERE ARE various ways of doing this... It is NOT just one way or the highway... So that brings additional questions and varied directions...

It would be FANTASTIC to talk on the phone and/or buy someone a pizza and pick their brain and sketch this out while having a discussion... As for the fellow asking if I saw the diagrams... YES I DID... and they are helpful... But they seem as least to me... TOO MUCH too fast... Sure, I can read them easily... Yes, I have drawn stuff similiar MANY times... BUT until I get past the Macro they are of limited value... Oh, I am getting there... and I WILL get there BUT... this half-duplex communication is a killer... I have always said that in some ways we have reverted back to the days of RTTY and CW... and all you young people think this TEXTING is something NEW... It's NOT... ... Just joking... I know all you people are kids compared to me ...

Anyway, I live in a suburb near Ann Arbor, Michigan... Near where UofM is located... and one could also say in the Detroit, Michigan area... If I had a way to contact someone that was willing to spend some time talking to me I WOULD GREATLY GREATLY APPRECIATE IT... I am new to forums... I have only been on one other... The Linksys forum doing some Linux script programming... Is there an acceptable way to exchange phone numbers as I would call anywhere in the USA... But I don't know ALL the forum rules... and, I KNOW EVERYONE IS BUSY and it would take time from someone's day to be willing to talk... And that could be asking for too much which I UNDERSTAND... And exchanging numbers here is just like broadcasting to the WORLD...

Any thoughts... Or do I just struggle along until it all comes together... Which it will in time... It just seems like an EASY phone issue to me... What can I say... Any thoughts...
Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

You might want to add new keyboard to your list of requirements. I think you are gonna wear out the full stop on that one.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Mr pjpjpj... or anyone... PJ, I look at all the stuff you have listed as using and it seems there is more stuff than what I understand is needed...
So, I am curious now, what do I have that seems “extra” to you? I have a PC (my "server") with a USB hard drive for storage... I use the "HD Homerun" brand tuners (www.silicondust.com), which are dual-ATSC-tuner units that connect on your network, rather than being in a slot on your server. My antennas are connected to these via coax and they are on the network with CAT5E. I have a router/switch for connecting all the network cables… and I have two HD Extenders, at two TVs in my house. What’s “extra” with that?

You can find a very simple network diagram of my setup in that thread of system diagrams.

Quote:
... What I don't seem to get is that since I DO NOT NEED a Media PC with tuners but rather just a dumb server ONLY (NO SLOTS)... NO TUNERS... Then how does the Server SEE the OTA Signal to record it for later playback... The Server has no tuner card... ergo the server has no antenna... So how does it record an over the air broadcast for later replay to the TV's... Am missing something here...
I’d say you are missing something… see my comment “f” above. You do need tuners – I don’t know how you missed that! They just don’t have to be in slots… there are USB or network-connected tuner gadgets available. The HD Homerun (that myself, thomaszoo, and many others use) is a small box (looks like a cable modem) that you can put anywhere on your network, and it has two coax jacks for antenna or cable (for QAM). For OTA, the advantage of this gadget is that you can reduce your coax runs (longer coax runs from the antenna = more signal loss) by putting the HDHR unit closer to the antenna. It does the tuning in the box, and the signal sent from it (via network cable, to your server PC) is effectively lossless. So instead of fishing a long run of "lossy" coax and having to add amps to your antenna cable, you just put the HDHomerun near the antenna and then run network cable. When you change a channel in SageTV, it sends the signal through the network cable to the HDHomerun, and changes the channel in the unit. Well, I assume that’s what it does… it just works, and I think that’s all you are looking for.

So, as long as you are using tuners (internal cards, USB gadgets, network gadgets) that are SageTV-compatible, SageTV will see the tuned signal stream from that gadget and translate it into a “channel” in your guide, and will change the channel in that tuner gadget when you change the channel on your SageTV (either at the PC or on an extender).

When we say you don't need a "Media PC", we mean that you don't need a machine that is sold for that purpose... meaning, you don't need internal tuner cards to come with it, you don't need a high-end video card and super-fast clock speed, or huge amounts of new-model RAM. Or, at least you don't if you are only going to watch TV on your extenders. You can use an older, slower machine, and add a few tuner gadgets (and maybe a large hard drive), all of which could be external and not "part of" a "media PC", and be just fine.

Long story short, it’s very (relatively) plug-and-play. Outside of a few rare occasions, it seems like with most of the compatible tuners, when you start Sage (or re-run the wizard after installing a new tuner gadget), Sage has no problem finding the tuner(s) and knowing what to do with it. This was the case with my two HDHomeruns. With my extenders, after I had SageTV installed on my server and set up (carefully avoiding actually the "watch TV" choice, since my PC would crash if I tried to watch something on it), I connected the extenders to the network, plugged them in to the TV, and turned them on, and they worked, right out of the box.

Quite simply.... I’m no computer expert, and I’m not that young, but I had no problems at all.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I must say... YOU people are REALLY giving it ALL to try to help me... I know you must be thinking... What a DUPA this fellow is... I am an extreme detail person... and sometimes I have trouble with the BIG PICTURE... But later with the details and getting down to the trouble shooting I am in my element and VERY effective... Such is me...

And YES... The latest round of answers has been VERY HELPFUL... I am starting to see the PROGRAM... ... But I am now also seeing that THERE ARE various ways of doing this... It is NOT just one way or the highway... So that brings additional questions and varied directions...

snip
You hit the nail on the head here... There are LOTS of different implementations.

You need:
Hardware
Capture devices - These can be internal (PCI, PCIe), external (USB, Firewire) or network attached. There is a thread here that talks about which work well with Sage. Depending on your source and your desire to record HD, your choices will be narrowed.
Storage devices - These also can be internal to the "Sage Server" or external (USB, eSATA, Firewire, NAS, File server)
Decode/display hardware - You will need one for each display location. These can be PCs (running Sage Client or Sage Placeshifter) or "Extenders" (SD or HD).
network infrastructure - As mentioned Gb is not required, but for the price I would recomend it. Wireless is not nearly as reliable for viewing HD content, but is acceptable for SD, music or program guide stuff (looking for things to record, maintaining favorites, etc)

Software
Sage Media center (one instance), Available in Win, Mac and Linux varieties.
Some sort of client software (depends on usage need and hardware chosen) for each concurrent viewing location. This will be the interface with the Sage Media center server for each location.

Configuration:
Sage Media Center Device
This will be the "brain" for the Sage implementation. It will manage the media as well as the tuner scheduling and guides. This can be done multiple ways, I'll try to cover the most common here:

Server also a Display console
This is the one license approach. A single box with all tuners attached connected to a display device for viewing content.
Pros - easiest implementation, may reduce required hardware cost
Cons - Usually a big ugly box with multiple external appendages generating noise and heat at a viewing location. The hardware must be up to the task of playing back all of the content that you wish to view at this location. Issues affecting the display (or even a video drive update) may impact the server uptime.
With this option you can still add other client devices on the network.

Dedicated Sage Server
This approach moves the hardware described above to a remote location.
Pros - The biggest advantage to this is that the server hardware requirements (processor/ video card) can go way down. Recording even HD content is not overly taxing on hardware so this can often be a lower powered machine (the exception is if any clients require transcoding).
Cons - Another PC to build (maybe), maintaining may require going to this location or RDP.
Options - the storage can either be directly in this box or you can use a separate file server solution.

Regardless of the hardware implementation, Sage Media Center can be run in service mode which will seperate the recording back end from the display application and windows can restart the back end if there is a crash minimizing the likelihood of missed recordings.

Clients
You can mix and match client devices depending on the needs of a specific location.

PC options - these require adequate hardware and decoders to properly display the content that you wish to view at each location.
Pros for PC at viewing location - you can use OTHER PC applications external to Sage, upgradability
Cons - Maintaining multiple hardware/OS/ driver/ decoders can be tedious, PCs tend to be noisy or are more expensive to buy quiet components.

Sage Client
This is a full client and as such has the following pros/cons.
Pros - Play DVDs from internal DVD drive, Audio/video decoders can be managed to get best performance
Cons - Cost, license is NOT shared - to move license to another device the Sage Server application must be restarted. Only connects on local network.

Sage Place shifter -
This is a lighter client application that can connect from remote networks.
Pros - more compact installation, roaming license -this license is the same as used for extenders so you only need as many as concurrent viewers (note a viewer is anyone attached to the server not only those actually viewing media content). May work on wireless network (I've actually done this even with HD content and had acceptable results for short tests)
Connections from remote networks.
Cons - No local DVD playback through this interface. May require server to transcode some file types.
Pro/Con - (this depend on your perspective) - has built in decoder so no configuration of audio/video decoders

Extenders
These are CE type boxes that run as dedicated Sage clients
Pro - Dedicated video/audio decoding chips, Easy configuration, no drive/decoder issues, local crash has no impact on Sage recording service, price v. PC client, compact, quiet, roaming license
Cons - No configuration of decoding/ deinterlacing, etc. Server must transcode any non-natively supported file type.

HD extender - STX HD100
Pro - Natively handles MANY file types and outputs in HD
Con - Not free? Seriously, the only thing I can think of other than above is that the output of 24 or multiple is not available. Don't know if this is because of the chip or if firmware could add it.

SD extender - Hauppauge MPV -
Pro - price, wireless option (though seems not very successful)
Cons - Only natively decodes SD MPEG2 so all other content must be transcoded by the server. Only 480i output.

I'm don't know all of the answers, so I am sure I've missed some things, but this is a bit more of the BIG picture... I wouldn't mind talking you through some of your questions, PM me (pick my username then select send private message from dropdown) with your phone number and times to call. But you have to promise to type up your summary in this thread so others can learn from your discovery. That is part of the beauty of user forums.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Sage User

I am GETTING IT NOW... Last few posts were OUTSTANDING in their simplicity and compactness... I did not know what a HomeRun was... I did not know that all this network communication was going on between the Sage components and other brand components to make this all this happen... I THINK I get it now... I have built MANY PC's and MANY SERVERS... and I can do all that... But I am into the BUYING MOOD NOWDAYS... Old I guess... REMEMBER COST is NOT an issue at my stage of life... So I was going to get a http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/pro...G795AA%2523ABA for a server... There are MANY MODS available out there on this product... I like MODS... Looks like lots of fun to me... But it runs Microsoft's Windows Home Server operating system and supports 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet and both wired and wireless networking (requires wireless router)... (NO SLOTS)... REMEMBER COST is not an issue at this stage of life... What you think... Forget the cost... So I would need the HomeRuns with the server above... OR would it be better to have a FULL PC with Tuners in the PC... I want MAXIMUM expandability and MODIFICATION fun as time goes by... and what about recording encypted stations... can the HomeRUN do that... I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THIS HELP...
Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Sage Icon

You're starting to get into micro questions now, so you need to share your intentions more specifically as the viable solutions vary by source (OTA, Cable, Dish, DirecTV)

OTA - The Homerun is a great option though there are internal and usb options for HD OTA. One limit is that SOME of these including the Homerun can NOT tune NTSC (SD) channels though this will not matter in a year.

Cable - For SD, there are tons of internal and external options.

For HD, there are two paths -
QAM (NO CABLE BOX required) is limited because of encryption. The homerun is good for this as well. Their websight will even tell you what channels are available in your area. The only current requirement of the FCC is that local broadcast channels must be in the clear anything else is luck and may be encrypted at any time.

Cable Box - here you use the cable box to handle the encryption and then capture the resulting unencrypted content. There are really only two options - HD PVR which re-encodes the component output or the R5000 modification to the cable box which captures the digital stream directly. Both of these connect via USB and require almost no server resources to record.

For Satellite see cable box above - R5000 option is not well suited for DirecTV
Old 06-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Sage User

I really APPRECIATE ALL YOUR EFFORTS... I seem to be getting the BIG picture FINALLY... I spent several hours looking and reading... Now I see that there are a variety of companies making stuff for my purpose... Linksys, Hauppauge, Niveus, SageTV, SiliconDust, Nextcom, Velocity, TiVo... I must study this more... AND, if you can believe it, a fellow in the next town over from me has contacted me and is willing to meet with me... He says he has a SageTV configuration up and running... I will see where all this takes me... FOR NOW I have more research to do... THANK YOU ALL so much for your guidance... I will be back again down the road...
Old 07-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Sage User

Thumbs up Nice work!

This thread has a lot of great info in it, some of these posts could be part of a FAQ. You all have been very clear and patient, it's very refreshing!
For some newbies it's hard to search because
a) so many acronyms! is there a glossary?
b) sometimes it's hard to frame a search when you're not sure what to call what it is you're looking for!

In many ways you just sort of have to plow in there and just read every thread for a while just to get a feel for the components!
But this thread could be really helpful to a lot of new folks, thanks for the content (unfortunately I have learned most of this over time rather than there being something more general like this that one could use as a starting point!)

Cheers