SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Joelinkup.

Everyone here loves to help, at least this had been my experience.

Here is what I did for my system.

1: Dedicated box running as the SageTV server, all of my hard drives for recording are in this box, my tuners, it is running W2K3 server, but you can use XP as well, stay away from Vista in my opinion.

MB Pentium 4 3Ghz machine - 1Gb Ram - Onboard video card is fine.

Addonics 3to5 SATA HD adapter, this allows you to use 5 serial ATA hard drives while using only 3 drive bays. I put this into an older Antec Server case "full tower" that I picked up for around $50.

It has a 400watt power supply that is more than sufficient.

2: Run, dont walk away from setting up a PC as a client, the HD extender is the ONLY way to go in my opinion. They are small, cool, quiet and nowhere near as troublesome as a dedicated client PC.

I would be happy to speak with you on this subject further, this is one of my passions, I also sell these setups to clients and they love them.

3: Also, stay away from wireless, run network cables, wireless is good for only for browsing the internet and even that is sometimes iffy!

P.M me and I can shoot you my phone number so we can speak.

Welcome to the club, once you take the plunge you will wonder how you lived without all of this at the tip of your fingers before
"Life is a banquet and most people are starving to death!"