SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Sage User

Are there any issues with using this loopback and running headless? I access that computer (for admin-ish things) via Remote Desktop. After I access it won't it have the "another user logged in"-ish display (forget the exact words).
Old 07-31-2008, 03:15 PM
SageTVaholic

If you use VNC or RDC concurrent sessions you shouldn't have a problem, but IIRC standard RDC could cause a problem.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
If you use VNC or RDC concurrent sessions you shouldn't have a problem, but IIRC standard RDC could cause a problem.
My experience is that Remote Desktop will definitely cause the login screen to appear over the loopback channel.

--Steve
Old 08-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Sage Icon

Yes you are supposed to only have 1 live RDP connection at a time with XP Pro and MCE. I dunno about the various Vista possibilities. This functionality can be accessed though.

VNC couldn't care less.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
Yes you are supposed to only have 1 live RDP connection at a time with XP Pro and MCE. I dunno about the various Vista possibilities. This functionality can be accessed though.

VNC couldn't care less.
[Edit] Nevermind, I deleted what I said, cause I was answering something else.

BTW, I have been playing with Mesh http://www.mesh.com and Logmein (free version) http://www.logmein.com for remote control. I like both a lot, but haven't settled on which one I want to keep yet.

Last edited by mikejaner; 08-01-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

I mentioned this in the Netflix plugin thread, but it's probably worth mentioning here since it's more applicable, but apparently there is a problem with DRM support in Nvidia's drivers (at least for some of their graphics cards such as my 7200/7300 based card). This results in no playback for Netflix movies either in IE or in the supplied netflix viewer.

There are a couple of fixes for this:
- In the device manager (control panel -> system), disable (you don't need to uninstall) the nvidia adapter and reboot the computer. This will cause some XP drivers to be used which are (mostly) sufficient for the S-video output. That said, I don't think the video quality is as good and I have a feeling that the XP drivers don't take advantage of all the video processing power of the graphics card - if any at all. But it does work fine on my core2duo based machine.

- Hack a VGA connector with some resistors and plug it in. (See: http://tvtool.info/go.htm?http://tvt...sh/dummy_e.htm.)
This tricks the card into thinking that a monitor is attached which apparently removes the DRM issue. You may also have to configure the nvidia drivers to display to both the vga and s-video outputs at the same time. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to.

Mitch
Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
I mentioned this in the Netflix plugin thread, but it's probably worth mentioning here since it's more applicable, but apparently there is a problem with DRM support in Nvidia's drivers (at least for some of their graphics cards such as my 7200/7300 based card). This results in no playback for Netflix movies either in IE or in the supplied netflix viewer.

- Hack a VGA connector with some resistors and plug it in. (See: http://tvtool.info/go.htm?http://tvt...sh/dummy_e.htm.)
This tricks the card into thinking that a monitor is attached which apparently removes the DRM issue. You may also have to configure the nvidia drivers to display to both the vga and s-video outputs at the same time. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to.

Mitch
Dang, this is what I have also. This loopback is getting to be harder than originally planned. Maybe I can hook up a KVM switch to the back of my headless server (to "fake" a monitor). I have an extra one gathering dust and saves me the time of building a terminator. Plus I hate soldering...
Old 08-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Or, just try disabling the nvidia driver and see if that works for you.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

VGA adapter hack update:
Ran over to Radio Shack picked up a 15-pin D-sub male connector ($1.99) and a 5-pack of 68 ohm resistors ($.99) - they didn't have any 75 ohm resistors so I figured I would risk the $3 in parts and try it with the 68 ohm resistors.
Well, 5 minutes of soldering and it works great. Plugged the adapter into my VGA port on the graphics card, re-enabled the Nvidia drivers in Device Manager, rebooted the computer and everything works.

If you don't like to solder, I honestly think this would even work if you just stick the resistor leads into the backs of the connector leads and dabbed a smidge of crazy glue to hold them in place and against the inside wall of the connector leads - maybe even jb weld. I used practically no solder.

Mitch
Old 10-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiledog View Post
Dang, this is what I have also. This loopback is getting to be harder than originally planned. Maybe I can hook up a KVM switch to the back of my headless server (to "fake" a monitor). I have an extra one gathering dust and saves me the time of building a terminator. Plus I hate soldering...
OK, please bear with me. This may be a couple of really stupid questions, but I wanted to make sure from you guys that know much more about this stuff than I do whether it would work or not.

For those of us that have a single computer for the family that doubles as our SageTV server, could you trick a dual monitor video card into thinking there is a second monitor attached (maybe by one of the methods quoted above) and somehow have the Netflix viewer always run on the [nonexistent] second monitor as to not interfere with other computer use and still only have one computer? If so, then would there be a way to only send the second monitor though the s-video connection as you would for only a single monitor for viewing on an extender?

I hope that makes sense. What do you think?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Sage User

Clever

I mostly just lurk on this forum, but I had to pipe up to say that this hack is clever as hell.

And I was just about to throw away my ancient Hauppauge "Rosyln"/"Blackbird"/unsupported PVR-150ish card.

Can't wait to try this over winter break.

EDIT Actually, I just found out the HD200 supports NetFlix, Hulu, etc in Standalone mode. I have a HD100 but my HD200 has been ordered and its on the way. I'm planning on moving my HD100 into the bedroom, guess I can still try this hack on that one.

Last edited by paintedbird; 12-26-2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: hd200 info
Old 12-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Sage User

DVDs by placeshifter

Would it be possible to use this method to play DVDs via Placeshifter?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Sage Icon

I think you can queue up the main movie vobs in the video_ts folder and watch it that way, but I haven't tried it.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.