SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 PM

Multiple tuners, multiple extenders watching live streams

Hi,

I've seen people's configuration where they have multiple tuners in the computer and then have multiple extenders. My questions are:

1) Can multiple extenders watch different live streams at the same time? So, if I have 3 tuners and 3 extenders can each of the extenders watch a different live program?

2) Can you inter mix TV sources, such as cable and directv? Can I have one extender watching a cable show while the other extender watching a directv?

3) How would having multiple tuners with different TV source(cable and directv) show up in the guide? One you have 2 different channel 4s?

Thanks,
Tommy
Old 06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Sage Icon

Yes

Yes

Yes, 2 channel #4s or you can remap one to a totally different number.

If the exact same programming is on 2 channels it will only show 1 in the guide, the recording engine is smart enough to choose the correct device to record from.

ie CNN

CNN basic cable #50 through tuner
CNN digital cable #51 through S video
CNN Sat #352 through S video

Those all show the same info and ~should~ only appear in the guide once as "CNN".
Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
Yes

Yes

Yes, 2 channel #4s or you can remap one to a totally different number.

If the exact same programming is on 2 channels it will only show 1 in the guide, the recording engine is smart enough to choose the correct device to record from.

ie CNN

CNN basic cable #50 through tuner
CNN digital cable #51 through S video
CNN Sat #352 through S video

Those all show the same info and ~should~ only appear in the guide once as "CNN".
I think YMMV on this. I have OTA only, but receive from two different cities (two different tuners, two different antennas, two different city channel guides). Each of the cities is close enough to the other that they have the same channels shown on each guide. However, they are listed under different titles. In one guide it might be "WPTD3-Create" and in the other, "WPTD-DT3". Because of this, I get two separate channels listed in the EPG, with (obviously) the same programming. In fact, I get two of every single channel, since all of them are in both cities' guides and all of them have different names in each. I suppose it was just the name that someone gave them when first entering the data into the EPG database, not thinking to keep it consistent with other "overlapping" locations.

However, with national channels on cable/satellite, I suspect they are probably named the same thing and CollinR is correct, and they will only appear once. I can't speak about that...

If you end up with "copies" of channels, the solution to this, tommymc, is that you can simply go into your channel setup and disable ("turn off") any channel in any tuner guide.

So if you get all of these different tuners installed and you end up with 4 CNN's, just go into the channel setup for for the various tuners and disable three of them. And, of course, if you only want the HD version of a channel to record, turn off the other SD versions.

However, note that some people will say that they want "the HD to record, but if there is a tuner conflict and they don't have an HD tuner available, they want it to default to the SD version"... in that case, you have to leave at least two of the same channel enabled (one HD, one SD in a different tuner guide), and set your tuner priority in the properties file... but that's another thread...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
I think YMMV on this. I have OTA only, but receive from two different cities (two different tuners, two different antennas, two different city channel guides). Each of the cities is close enough to the other that they have the same channels shown on each guide. However, they are listed under different titles. In one guide it might be "WPTD3-Create" and in the other, "WPTD-DT3". Because of this, I get two separate channels listed in the EPG, with (obviously) the same programming. In fact, I get two of every single channel, since all of them are in both cities' guides and all of them have different names in each. I suppose it was just the name that someone gave them when first entering the data into the EPG database, not thinking to keep it consistent with other "overlapping" locations.
If they are really the same channel and should have the exact same listings, then the solution is not to disable extras, but to use Channel Setup's Remap option & choose "Map Different Station to this Physical Channel". That way, the channel that is on multiple tuners will be listed once in the guide & SageTV will be able to choose a tuner when recording from that channel for better conflict management.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
If they are really the same channel and should have the exact same listings, then the solution is not to disable extras, but to use Channel Setup's Remap option & choose "Map Different Station to this Physical Channel". That way, the channel that is on multiple tuners will be listed once in the guide & SageTV will be able to choose a tuner when recording from that channel for better conflict management.

- Andy
True, in sat/cable applications... but in my OTA application, each of the "city" tuners has it's own directional antenna and won't get the other city's stations reliably (even though they show up in the channel listing and I can get some of them "okay" much of the time). So I disable them intentionally, so that I don't have it record from the antenna that receives it poorly.

But that's my specific situation. What you said applies better to cable/sat applications (as here) where, presumably, reception is all perfect. Of course, I suppose you could have a digital tuner and an analog tuner getting the same channel, and not want the analog, so that would be a case where you would disable it...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.