SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 AM

Recording Quality question

Hi guys

I have been playing with the Recording quality and one of the choices have disapeared, let me explain. When I installed SageTV the default recording quality was set to: Default Great Mpeg-2 @ 1.8 GB/HR, I wanna to try another one, since I was experimenting this new software (at least for me). So I picked Quality Max Mpeg-2 PS @ 5.9 BG/HR. I found the files were to big for my need so the next day I wanted to switch back to the first default value and guess what, it was gone. The Default Great Mpeg-2 @ 1.8 GB/HR is no longer available. So here are my questions:

a) How to get it back?
b) What's the difference between Mpeg-2 and Mpeg-2 PS?
c) What's the difference between Mpeg and DVD quality?

I run on Windows XP SP2 and Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600. I should mention that I am recoding via an analog source.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Badaboom; 07-02-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badaboom View Post
Hi guys

I have been playing with the Recording quality and one of the choices have disapeared, let me explain. When I installed SageTV the default recording quality was set to: Default Great Mpeg-2 @ 1.8 GB/HR, I wanna to try another one, since I was experimenting this new software (at least for me). So I picked Quality Max Mpeg-2 PS @ 5.9 BG/HR. I found the files were to big for my need so the next day I wanted to switch back to the first default value and guess what, it was gone. The Default Great Mpeg-2 @ 1.8 GB/HR is no longer available. So here are my questions:

a) How to get it back?
b) What's the difference between Mpeg-2 and Mpeg-2 PS?
c) What's the difference between Mpeg and DVD quality?

I run on Windows XP SP2 and Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600. I should mention that I am recoding via an analog source.

Thanks for your help
1.8GB? I didn't even know there was an option for that one. Last I knew Great (default) is 2.0GB per hour. I used to use 2.0GB per hour for the longest of time, but now I use 3.2GB per hour. It is better, without being the max size of 5.9GB (which seems extreme for SD). Oh and 3.2GB per hour is considered DVD. It is still an MPEG2 stream with .mpg, its just supposedly comparible to DVD in quality.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter