SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleegan View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can only get the 2 analog tuners to show up with the 2250. If I go back and try to add them again(first time TV Tuner, 2nd time as a Digital TV Tuner) they only seem to change the source of the tuner, not add a new tuner for each source. Any ideas what I might be missing?? I'm using Comcast digital cable & have an HDTV & a standard tv. Both are hooked up with the HD-100 extenders.

Thanks!
That's exactly the same issue I have with mine. Any help
Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Sage User

Figured it out, I setup the sources with different channel lineups and that did the trick.

Choose standard cable for the analog tuner souce and then digital cable for the digital tuner souce. Makes sense now...
Old 08-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellis View Post
Figured it out, I setup the sources with different channel lineups and that did the trick.

Choose standard cable for the analog tuner souce and then digital cable for the digital tuner souce. Makes sense now...
Thanks so much for this tip!!! Not only did it make the 2250 work, but it also was the key to getting my Ati theater 650 working too!

Had I known about this, I wouldn't have had to buy the 2250 in the first place.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:17 AM
Sage Icon

I checked the support link above, and the 2200 and 2250 are both on the Windows support list now.

I have a 2250, using the analog tuners with cable tv, and it is working fine with Windows XP Pro.

Dave
Old 08-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Sage User

You can also use the EPG Copy option for each new source after the first analog source is setup. Then go into each of the sources Channel Setup and enable/disable the appropriate channels.

Enable only the analog channels for the two analog sources and disable the digital ones, then enable digital channels only for the two digital sources. The two digital sources "enabled channels" need to match exactly, same for the analog sources. If they don't match then you will have problems using both tuners at the same time.

Worked for me.

You should have a total of four sources showing up in the Source Wizard Summary when it's properly done.

It would be nice to have complete, easy to follow instructions for properly setting up the hvr-2250 with Sagetv, as it's somewhat complicated.
The 2250 works great with Sagetv when properly set up.

Last edited by jrolson7; 08-30-2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: clairify
Old 09-01-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolson7 View Post
You can also use the EPG Copy option for each new source after the first analog source is setup. Then go into each of the sources Channel Setup and enable/disable the appropriate channels.

Enable only the analog channels for the two analog sources and disable the digital ones, then enable digital channels only for the two digital sources. The two digital sources "enabled channels" need to match exactly, same for the analog sources. If they don't match then you will have problems using both tuners at the same time.

Worked for me.

You should have a total of four sources showing up in the Source Wizard Summary when it's properly done.

It would be nice to have complete, easy to follow instructions for properly setting up the hvr-2250 with Sagetv, as it's somewhat complicated.
The 2250 works great with Sagetv when properly set up.
I'm not sure I understand. So you are saying a single 2250 (dual inputs) should show 4 sources? I messed with this for a while and just ended up setting both tuners to analog. First I set one to analog, and the other to digital which kinda worked fine, but would have problems recording 2 programs from either analog or digital if they were on at the same time (which makes sense).

Are you saying that I should be able to get both analog and digital on each tuner setting it up how you mentioned? All my TV's get both analog and digital from a single input (i think). I have the same problem as everyone else. Comcast has half analog and half digital in my area, and the analog looks horrible (really pixelated)! If I go straight digital, I miss out on many channels not available on digital.

Thanks for any help

-Tracy
Old 09-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Sage Icon

A single 2250 is a dual tuner and can record from two sources.

You might need to swap out your cable boxes. I swapped out all my original boxes, some more than once till I got good stable boxes. A lot of the boxes are flaky and unstable.

I do not have the problem where the same program is recorded analog and digital at the same time on different tuners.

The way I have my system set is the 2 HDHomeRun tuners record local over the air channels. The local over the air channels are not in the channel line up for any of the other tuners.

The 2250 has two tuners that only record only analog channels that are not duplicated by the digital channels directly from the cable coax. The channels that are available in digital are excluded from the 2250 tuner channel line ups.

The PVR-350 records only the non-HD digital channels with S-video from a cable box controlled by a USB-UIRT zone. The channel line excludes everything except digital non-HD channels.

The HD-PVR records only the HD digital channels from a HD cable box controlled by a USB-UIRT zone. The channel line up excludes everything except HD channels.

The downside to partitioning the different channel types is that it might be more likely to have conflicts. Although I have very few programming conflicts the way my tuners are set up. I never record the same program on two tuners, such as analog and digital at once because of the way the channel line ups are partitioned.

Dave
Old 09-02-2009, 02:37 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I think I may not have explained good enough. I don't use cable boxes (don't like the hassle). If I plug the coax straight into my TV 47" Vizio 1080p, I get all the channels I am supposed to (analog and digital without having a box). If I hook the same coax to my 2250, I can only get half of the channels (which half depends on whether I select analog or digital for the source).

My problem with setting one input to analog and one to digital would be for recording conflicts. I don't record the same program in both analog and digital, but I would perhaps have recording conflicts on the same input... like something on CBS and ABC (HD digital) at the same time... which works fine if I have both tuners set to digital, but won't work with one analog and one digital.

Why can each tuner do analog and digital like my TV does?

Is the only solution to get another tuner... or wait 'til who knows when Comcast will provide all channels in digital (SLC Utah BTW).

Tracy

Last edited by trahajopro86; 09-02-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 09-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

On the Hauppauge site, under features for the 2250, it states the following:

"Watch and record two TV programs at the same time: two analog cable TV channels, two digital TV channels or one analog cable and one clear QAM digital cable TV channel."

I have my 2250 set up to record analog and clear QAM on the same tuner (one of the two); but, I have experienced problems if I allow overlap. By that, I mean that my cable company (COX digital in Phoenix AZ) broadcasts some channels in both analog and digital. I select different lineups but also disable channels in the digital lineup so as to prevent overlap with the same channels in the analog lineup. YMMV Anyway, the main point is that you can tune two programs at once with the 2250; but, on each tuner, you can only tune one analog or one digital (clear QAM) at a time.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

So another way to look at it is that the 2250 is like 2 1250s, NOT like 2 1600's.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:37 AM

I just bought a 2250 for a new pc. I've read the threads here, but can only seem to get two sources to show up at any given time. It appears to see the separate tuners, one has no number, the other has a #2 in it's designation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolson7 View Post

We have analog cable, but are able to receive several QAM stations on our HDTV. If I configure the tuners for analog, the scan doesn't pick up the QAM stations. If I change them to digital and do the scan, the QAM stations don't appear.

How do I get the QAM stations to appear?

Bill
Old 09-09-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by communique View Post
We have analog cable, but are able to receive several QAM stations on our HDTV. If I configure the tuners for analog, the scan doesn't pick up the QAM stations. If I change them to digital and do the scan, the QAM stations don't appear.

How do I get the QAM stations to appear?

Bill
This is EXACTLY the question I am asking, but maybe wasn't clear enough.

-Tracy
Old 09-13-2009, 11:14 AM

New SageTV user here. I'm building a HTPC and have the newest version of SageTV, newest drivers, etc installed on a fresh install of Vista Home Premium 64bit (with TV Pack).

Hauppage drivers: 22xxdrv_27223
SageTV: 6.6.2.218
Other: Core i5, P55 chipset, ATI 4350 graphics

Anyway, perhaps I have the same problem as a few users above. SageTV shows analog tuners for the card but NO digital tuners. The program crashes if I select either of the listed tuners, followed by "Digital TV Tuner" on the next screen.

Should ATSC/QAM tuners be showing up in this list in addition to the analog tuners? I know they won't work simultaneously so if I'm missing how to enable the digital (in my case, QAM) tuning on these tuners, please let me know!

Analog works just fine. I have clear QAM working in Media Center (go figure!) but I'd prefer to switch to SageTV- I like what I see and hear so far.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:57 PM
SageTVaholic

The Digital tuners are listed under the Analog tuners. All you do is setup two sources for each analog (in my case one is Analog Composite and Analog Digital Tuner and the other is Analog #2 Composite and Analog #2 Digital Tuner).

I know this seems weird to have the Digital Tuners under the Analog ones, but I assume this is because the HVR2250 can only tune either an Analog or Digital channel per "tuner" and so this way Sage doesn't try to tune two different shows with the same "tuner" at the same time.

Does that make sense?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
The Digital tuners are listed under the Analog tuners. All you do is setup two sources for each analog (in my case one is Analog Composite and Analog Digital Tuner and the other is Analog #2 Composite and Analog #2 Digital Tuner).

I know this seems weird to have the Digital Tuners under the Analog ones, but I assume this is because the HVR2250 can only tune either an Analog or Digital channel per "tuner" and so this way Sage doesn't try to tune two different shows with the same "tuner" at the same time.

Does that make sense?
Thanks for the reply.

I get why it would be organized this way, but on the following screen I cannot select "Digital TV Tuner" or the program will crash. It works fine if I proceed with "TV Tuner", but then I don't see a way to tune QAM channels. I've tried scanning and entering them manually, but the SageTV seems to have no concept of digital channels when set up as "TV Tuner".

I tried going back and later editing the source type from "TV Tuner" to "Digital TV Tuner" after it had already been setup. Doing this still causes SageTV to crash except now it won't start up, either. :-/ I'll reinstall the program after work to start over.

Any advice? Thanks again in advance.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I get why it would be organized this way, but on the following screen I cannot select "Digital TV Tuner" or the program will crash. It works fine if I proceed with "TV Tuner", but then I don't see a way to tune QAM channels. I've tried scanning and entering them manually, but the SageTV seems to have no concept of digital channels when set up as "TV Tuner".

I tried going back and later editing the source type from "TV Tuner" to "Digital TV Tuner" after it had already been setup. Doing this still causes SageTV to crash except now it won't start up, either. :-/ I'll reinstall the program after work to start over.

Any advice? Thanks again in advance.
That is strange, mine works just fine. I am certainly not experiencing the crash that you are (just tried setting up a digital tuner again in Sage to see if it would crash right away). I am not setting it up on the server but rather thru one of my extenders (not that, that should make any difference). What drivers are you currently using?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-15-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
That is strange, mine works just fine. I am certainly not experiencing the crash that you are (just tried setting up a digital tuner again in Sage to see if it would crash right away). I am not setting it up on the server but rather thru one of my extenders (not that, that should make any difference). What drivers are you currently using?
This is a freshly built machine on a fresh install of Vista (w/ TV Pack), so basically the latest non-beta version of everything. Probably the most relevant versions are:

Hauppage drivers: 22xxdrv_27223
SageTV: 6.6.2.218