SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Sage User

PLaceShifter Router Ports to open

Does anyone know What ports need to be open to get the placeshifter to work through a router. Also can these ports be changed?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

This is documented: there's a firewall FAQ and a section of Appendix N in the PDF manual called "Enable Remote Access to your SageTV server".

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Sage User

Not Quite

ok I can log on now and see and mess with the main menu, BUT i cant play back anything live or recorded. I just get a blank black screen with channel info and time laps bar but nothing else . Just black screen

Old 07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Sage Icon

what kind of server are you running? What else is it doing while you're trying to watch placeshifter? What content are you viewing? I assume you're watching over the internet; what's your upload pipe like from the server to the internet?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Sage User

system & DMZ

I have a computer dedicated to sage. The Place shifter works ok behind the router. BUT through the internet The Place shifter will only work when I DMZ the whole computer. I did notice that after it starts working I can turn off DMZ and it will keep working. There must be something else I have to do to the router to make it work. Any other ports? Do I have the right ones open?

Got any Ideas?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Sage User

FYI PORTS Needed to OPEN for PlaceShifter

Thanks for your help. I figured it out.
I temporally put my router in DMZ then using the command prompt I typed the command “Netstat” and got a list of ports used by sage and other programs. Then I entered the ports into my router and WaLa.! The port numbers are: 31099 TCP, 31100 UDP, and 7818 TCP!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Sage User

ONE more question

Pasword, Placeshifter just works. I does not ask for a password? Is ther away to put inplace a password?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrofex View Post
Thanks for your help. I figured it out.
I temporally put my router in DMZ then using the command prompt I typed the command “Netstat” and got a list of ports used by sage and other programs. Then I entered the ports into my router and WaLa.! The port numbers are: 31099 TCP, 31100 UDP, and 7818 TCP!
As the docs say, you should only need to open port 31099 on your router. That is the only one open on mine -- just that one port is forwarded to my SageTV server PC.

Because you mentioned having to open the other ports, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrofex View Post
Pasword, Placeshifter just works. I does not ask for a password? Is ther away to put inplace a password?
... that makes me wonder about your setup.

It is acting like it is a local connection, thus your need to open additional ports and the lack of the username/password request.

I'm not sure what would make it appear to be a local connection, though.

Are you trying to connect to a local server, but going through the router instead somehow?

What is the LAN address of your server?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.