SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Streaming to STX-HD100 via Placeshifter mode without transcoding?

I'd like to stream some low bitrate h.264 files across the net to the HD extender without transcoding. I think I remember reading somewhere that for the Placeshifter client to do this port 7818 had to be open on the router. If this is correct is the same true for the HD Extender?

My connection is a lowly 1 mb/sec upload though I'm considering upgrading to 2 mb/sec. Are there any other settings that might need to be changed to make this work without transcoding?

If it's possible, is Sage smart enough to stream the h.264 files as is and still transcode my mpeg2 files?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

If you are sure you have a 1MB upload speed you can make this change to your sage.properties file:

miniplayer/min_bandwidth_for_no_transcode=1000000

You can drop it down a little lower to match your upload speed. Just know that sage will not transcode anything when it detects a connection speed higher than the above setting (the default is 2000000), this includes your mpeg files that it really should be transcoding.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Why do you not want these files transcoded anyway? Sage transcoding is adaptive, it will start with a stream size and make the bandwidth sent larger until it hits the ceiling, so your tiny h264 files should stream flawlessly after about 30 seconds regardless.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for the property file setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razillian View Post
Why do you not want these files transcoded anyway? Sage transcoding is adaptive, it will start with a stream size and make the bandwidth sent larger until it hits the ceiling, so your tiny h264 files should stream flawlessly after about 30 seconds regardless.
If the files are already small enough to stream then I'd rather them not go through a transcoding process that will further reduce the quality.