SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Feature request: prevent monitor to go in standby mode while watching a movie

I configured my pc to have the monitor going in standby mode after some time of inactivity. The problem is when I watch a movie, the monitor goes also in standby mode...

A nice thing to have is when playing live tv or a movie, SageTV prevents the monitor to go in standby... This to avoid to have to change the power saving settings in windows.

just nice to have

regards
Ferdinand
Old 02-05-2004, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

You'll see this when using overlay. If set for VMR, this is software and Windows will recognize it has activity. But I do agree it would be a nice feature for the monitor and also the system screensaver. Should probably submit a bug report for this.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Sage Icon

There is a setting in sage.properties to prevent this. I have used it since 1.3. it works great.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by falchulk
There is a setting in sage.properties to prevent this. I have used it since 1.3. it works great.
And that setting would be... ?? I remember the timeout for SageTV's own screen saver, but I don't recall one to prevent Window's own screen saver/monitor power savings timeout.

- Andy
Old 02-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
ui/disable_screen_saver_and_pm=true

t
Old 02-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Thanks! Now to try that out next time I restart SageTV...

- Andy
Old 02-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Sage Icon

What an idiot huh? I apologize, for some reason I could not think of the exact line. I figured I would be general and someone would know.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't feel too bad if I were you... I even went through the properties file & couldn't find it, before asking. Of course, it always seems obvious once you know what it is...

- Andy
Old 02-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

it works! but do not forget to close SageTV first or your change will be lost...

Thanks
Ferdinand
Old 02-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Sage User

It doesn't work for me - SageTV 2.11 on XP Pro with SageTV on the second monitor (TV out). The screen will blank if I haven't touched the keyboard or mouse for a period of time even if I'm watching a show or movie
Old 02-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Administrator

pheitman -- did you edit your properties file while SageTV was not running? i.e.: exit SageTV, not just put it to sleep. (Just checking...)

- Andy
Old 02-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to -LD
shouldn't have to edit a properties file, this isn't realistic or real world for joe ueser...this is a bug and someone should submit a report as such
Old 02-05-2004, 07:29 PM

This is how it has always been in 1.4. Anyone should feel free to request this be added to the UI for 2.0 though if they find it important enough.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Administrator

While it isn't the easiest thing in the world for the average computer user to edit a text properties file, it is the way a lot of software works: the main functionality options are available as UI-based options, while other items are in some other place. Many 'hidden' options are things that most people wouldn't change, or are there for the developers to be able to make modifications w/o changing code.

You can argue that this is an option that should be in the UI & that wouldn't bother me -- I'm simply pointing out that SageTV isn't the only software that works this way. At least SageTV has it in a simple text file rather than in the Windows registry.

Besides, didn't they already mention there were more UI-based options coming? As mlbdude says, if you feel strongly about this one, file a bug report & mention this as a feature request. Sounds like a good idea to me.

- Andy
Old 02-06-2004, 06:48 AM
Sage Icon

I think at the very least, they should make the text file available within the sage interface. There are so many options, it may be impossible to provide a gui that includes them all. But allowing it to be edited from withing sage would be fine. They should also have a parser that tells us if the settings are valid.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
shouldn't have to edit a properties file, this isn't realistic or real world for joe ueser...this is a bug and someone should submit a report as such
Expletives deleted. Suffice it to say that I disagree on a couple different levels. The most relevant disagreement is that I don't think that Jeff should be wasting his time making every little property editable in the GUI when there are real problems to address and important features that could be added.

Last edited by salsbst; 02-06-2004 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Administrator

I tried this out. While SageTV was sleeping, I turned on the monitor's power management. It turned off after the set amount of time. I awoke SageTV -- monitor came back on. Great! I put SageTV back to sleep... and the monitor hasn't turned off since. For the rest of you trying this: does your monitor turn off again after SageTV goes to sleep?

- Andy
Old 02-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Sage Icon

My PC goes to S3 (suspend to ram) when sage is closed. Wakes up to record and goes back to sleep as needed. I did have an issue with the PC screensaver casuing the PC to stay awake. I disabled it. I also had a problem with a USB UPS keeping it awake but thats another story....
Old 02-06-2004, 11:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by falchulk
My PC goes to S3 (suspend to ram) when sage is closed. Wakes up to record and goes back to sleep as needed. I did have an issue with the PC screensaver casuing the PC to stay awake. I disabled it. I also had a problem with a USB UPS keeping it awake but thats another story....
I assume you mean when you put Sage to sleep. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?
Old 02-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Sage Icon

Disable 3d accleration in 2.0, nothing in 1.4.1. Jmans power management utility is required for this though.

You were correct, I meant sleep not closed. Although I could and did do that using Girder to correct the blank screen or resume. Closed sage on suspend and opened it on resume. Of course thats before I knew 3d acceleration was causing the problem.