SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

HDHR/digital tuning in v6.5 & later

Status 04-17-2009: Updated for HDHR software v20090415 and SageTV V6.5.9 or newer.

HDHR QAM & OTA tuning

Use the SiliconDust instructions with the instructions below.

OTA (Digital Antenna) scanning is done only in SageTV.

QAM (Digital Cable) scanning is done both in the HDHR's Channel Editor and in SageTV.

It is recommended that you use SageTV v6.5.9 or newer.

Update April 17, 2009

SiliconDust has released version 20090415 of the HDHR software. Use this with SageTV v6.5.9 or newer.

It is recommended that you exit SageTV before installing the HDHR software/drivers, then restart SageTV after the HDHR installation & setup via the HDHR software is complete.

HDHR OTA (Digital Antenna) tuner setup instructions

As of v20090411, SiliconDust has updated their software to no longer create .scn files when using an HDHR tuner in Digital Antenna mode. Now, you should set up an antenna-based HDHR tuner solely in SageTV, doing the full channel scan in SageTV's Channel Setup menu. Any needed channel/station remapping should be done as mentioned in the "Remapping Stations for EPG data using ATSC or QAM Digital Tuners" section of the SageTV PDF manual's coverage of the Channel Setup menu, found near p. 164.

HDHR clear QAM (Digital Cable) tuner setup instructions

The below instructions no longer apply when using the HDHR tuner for OTA (Digital Antenna) tuning. See the section directly above this one.
  1. If SageTV v6.5.9 (or newer) has not yet been run, at least start it once. And, be sure to go to Detailed Setup -> Advanced -> Check for STV Update in order to make sure the latest STV is being used. NOTE: Make sure the default STV, SageTV3.xml, is being used.

If the HDHR tuners were configured using older versions of the HDHR software or SageTV, you can either remove the tuners in SageTV before reconfiguring them, or try simply adding them as a new tuner & that reconfiguration should override the existing one.

2. Run the HDHR setup program, as directed in the SiliconDust instructions. After scanning for Digital Cable channels, click on the "Zap2it website" button & check its channel listings for your lineup. You will need to enter the Guide Name exactly as shown on the Zap2it site in order for the channels to get mapped correctly for EPG data in SageTV; also enter the Guide Number, again exactly as shown on the Zap2it site -- you can enter channel numbers like x.y (example: 2.1) or x (ex: 34), but non-decimal numbers are highly recommended. (If you use decimal numbers & have tuning issues in SageTV, change to the recommended non-decimal channel numbers instead.) Apply the results in the HDHR Channel Editor and exit. NOTES: Be sure to give every channel on a single HDHR tuner a unique name; don't name 2 channels WCBSDT on one HDHR tuner, for example. And, while entering a guide number for a channel should be optional, doing so is strongly recommended and will help map the channel to the logical number you want it to be at in SageTV. And, if you enter a channel number for one channel, you should enter channel numbers for all other channels you have enabled.

3. Add the HDHR digital cable tuners in SageTV, selecting to use the tuner to tune Cable TV for QAM. NOTE: Do NOT select Antenna if you are configuring the HDHR for Cable TV QAM tuning. The OLD instructions on the SiliconDust site said to do this, but you should now select "Cable TV" for QAM tuning during source setup in SageTV.

4. When choosing whether to configure the tuner to use Program Guide data, you have some choices to make:
    1. Use US, Canada, or XMLTV Guide Data with this Source -- Configure the tuner with a guide data source, using your zip code to find a provider or choosing a local broadcast market, etc. Normally, this option would be chosen if no other tuner is already using the lineup or channels the HDHR tuner will be using.
    2. Use US, Canada, or XMLTV Guide Data with this Source -- Configure the tuner with a guide data source by choosing a provider, then copying the lineup to a separately configurable lineup. This option can be used if another tuner already uses the lineup to be used with the HDHR tuner and you wish to be able to enable/disable/remap channels separately. Instead of this choice, you may wish to use the next option to not use program guide data; see below.
    3. Do Not use Program Guide Data with this Source -- Use this option if another tuner already uses the lineup or channels the HDHR tuner will be using. During the channel scan, channels will be matched to those already in use on another lineup and will be mapped to the HDHR tuner's own lineup. Example: the digital cable lineup for a tuner connected to an STB may have hundreds of channels, but only 30 of those are clear QAM. Use this option to remap only those 30 channels so the lineup for the HDHR tuner only contains the channels it can actually tune. If the tuner's own lineup already has some remapped channels, you will be asked whether to keep or clear all those remapped channels; you may want to keep the remapped channels when reconfiguring a tuner.
    4. Use an Existing Channel Lineup with this Source -- Use this option if you have already configured one tuner and you want to use the same channel lineup for the current tuner being configured. If you have multiple digital QAM tuners, this can save the scanning time. Note: This option should not be used for digital tuners, unless you are doing advanced setups with multiples of the same types of tuners and have copied/renamed the appropriate .scn and .frq files. See the tips area, below.
    Note: For options b & c, EPG data is currently retrieved only for channels that are enabled on a Zap2it lineup, so if you enable a channel only on a copied lineup or non-lineup (the lineup uses the tuner's name), then EPG data may not get downloaded.

5. In Channel Setup, perform a channel scan to make sure the scn file gets converted to the frq file for the tuner. The channel scan should be performed fairly quickly, mapping only those channels found and configured in the HDHR's Channel Editor. After scanning for channels, most, if not all, channels should be properly mapped to their correct channel names and numbers. Go through the resulting list of channels to verify that they are mapped appropriately. The physical channel numbers (used to actually tune a channel on the tuner) and channel names should all be mapped correctly, but you may want to remap some logical channel numbers (those shown on the Program Guide) and/or choose which channels to enable/disable.

6. Done. Configure any additional tuners. Each HDHR tuner must run its own channel scan in SageTV.

Tips & Comments
  • Other types of digital tuners on Windows may not provide the same type of info in a scn file like the HDHR tuner does. When SageTV does the initial channel scan, you may need to remap both the logical channel numbers and map the found channels to the proper stations.

• The above instructions are used when configuring an HDHR tuner on Windows for Digital Cable tuning. For Linux, Mac, or OTA tuning on Windows, all you need to do is connect the HDHR to your network, then add the tuner in SageTV and perform a channel scan. You will need to remap the logical channel numbers (guide numbers) and map the channels to the proper stations.

• If you are configuring multiple digital tuners & they will all receive the same channels, you could simply copy the .scn & .frq files for the first tuner & rename the copies for the other tuners. This is a "do at your own risk" item and you must know what the scn/frq filenames should be when you copy/rename the files. After copying & renaming the files properly, you could choose the "Use an Existing Channel Lineup with this Source" option when configuring the lineup for each subsequent tuner.

• If you are using Windows Vista and are having scanning problems in SageTV, be sure to check where SageTV is trying create its .frq files (either the VirtualStore or the SageTV install directory) and copy the .scn file to that same location and try scanning in SageTV again.

Please try these updates and let us know about any problems. (Bug reports in addition to forum posts are, as usual, helpful.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Update: The DLL download in the first post has been updated. Using this DLL, I was able to perform the OTA scan in the HDHR software, then configure the source in SageTV similar to how you would configure QAM, except that you choose "Antenna/Broadcast" for the OTA tuning option vs. "Cable TV" for QAM during the source setup in SageTV. Prior to this DLL update, I had to make sure that I did not do an OTA scan in the HDHR software before configuring the HDHR OTA tuner in SageTV. (I believe you should still be able to skip the OTA scan in the HDHR software & fully configure the OTA source in SageTV, if you wish.)

The SiliconDust instructions linked in the first post have also been updated to reflect the changes in the STV and DShowCapture.dll.

If you've already got things configured & working, then no, you don't have to go through setup again just to use the new files. Just remember to check the latest instructions the next time you update the HDHR software or if you need to reconfigure the source in SageTV for whatever reason.

Edit: I will be posting an STV update sometime tomorrow to work better with the logical channel mapping based on the scn file change mentioned in the HDHR software update 20080715beta1. I just need to confirm an STV change with SageTV before posting it.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator

There is now an STV update that should work with the SiliconDust update from yesterday to improve the logical channel mapping for HDHR tuners. See the first post for links.

- Andy
Old 07-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Where is the STV link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
There is now an STV update that should work with the SiliconDust update from yesterday to improve the logical channel mapping for HDHR tuners. See the first post for links.

- Andy
Andy the Beta STV link in the first page takes me back to the first page with no download.
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 07-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Look here for instructions for the new STV: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...24&postcount=1
Old 07-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefred99 View Post
Andy the Beta STV link in the first page takes me back to the first page with no download.
There is no download link in the forum; you do the update from within the STV.

The STV link in the first post of this topic takes you to the post where the new STV version is mentioned and that post points you to see that thread's first post for instructions about how to get the update from within SageTV. STV updates are a new feature of v6.4.

- Andy
Old 07-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks got it but So far I can t get HDHR to play nice with SageTv.
It scans and finds channels fine but shows no signal in preview. I guess I need to read some more.
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Are you following the SiliconDust instructions from the first post, above, and doing the initial scan in the HDHR software?

- Andy
Old 07-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Are you following the SiliconDust instructions from the first post, above, and doing the initial scan in the HDHR software?

- Andy
I am now getting channels to play but the mapping is off and I have to remap most of them. After I scan for available ch. in Sage the ch #'s are all wrong compared to my guide data.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefred99 View Post
I am now getting channels to play but the mapping is off and I have to remap most of them. After I scan for available ch. in Sage the ch #'s are all wrong compared to my guide data.
Is everything working, but the logical channel number shown in the Program Guide isn't what you expected, or did you have to remap the physical channel to get it to tune properly in SageTV?

You can change the Guide Name and Number in the HDHR software -- the number you assign there affects the logical number used in SageTV.

If you had to remap the physical channels in SageTV, please make sure that you did everything in the first post above & in the SiliconDust instructions -- for SageTV v6.4.5: update the STV and the DLL; from SiliconDust: install the 20080715beta1 update.

- Andy
Old 07-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Sage Expert

opus

Followed all instructions to a tee and having the same experience as davefred.

When setting up the new channels after the scan in Sage they came in as oddly numbered and arranged, but looking correctly named, but after changing logical #s on many so they were where they belonged I then tried to tune any of them in and no luck. Even the ones I didn't touch won't tune in, all show no data although as DaveFred said Sage found them fairly quickly (39 out of 200 in my case.)

Next step?

Thanks
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Is everything working, but the logical channel number shown in the Program Guide isn't what you expected, or did you have to remap the physical channel to get it to tune properly in SageTV?

You can change the Guide Name and Number in the HDHR software -- the number you assign there affects the logical number used in SageTV.

If you had to remap the physical channels in SageTV, please make sure that you did everything in the first post above & in the SiliconDust instructions -- for SageTV v6.4.5: update the STV and the DLL; from SiliconDust: install the 20080715beta1 update.

- Andy
I think I mostly just have to change the logical channel #'s to match up with the guide data, but to be honest I have messed with it so much I forget.
I am switching from Verizon Fios Local/basic to there full package and I will have to redo it all again in a day or two anyways. I never used all 68 channels before because most of the others that I get over 58 are all music. I am getting 105 ch in my scan so far and hope a few more when my package gets updated.
One thing that I noticed is every time I do a new sage Ch scan I loose my remaps. Makes it a pain to update. I am getting there,
Thanks, Dave

Edit, yes I followed the silicone instructions completely
Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 AM
Administrator

I'll have to recheck some stuff tomorrow... too late to do that tonight.

- Andy
Old 07-17-2008, 01:53 AM
Sage Expert

figured out my first problem.

I'd missed one apply button in hd homerun setup.

I now can see/watch channels in sage, but even though hd homerun has proper names and proper numbers in the guide column they come into Sage as a total mess.

I'm going to have to change logical #s, but may even have to change what program is at a physical # in some instances so something still isn't quite right.

But it's close and my ATSC hd homerun is working fine as are my pvr 500 and hd pvr so just have to get my QAM hd homerun setup right and all will be well.

Had to move to 6.4.5 as I'm having way to many lockups and hoping they'll go away now.

Thanks
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 07-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

OK.... we found another QAM scanning issue. SiliconDust will be updating their software and I'll post an STV update so our changes match each other's output again. Please wait for those updates before trying this again; hopefully later today.

- Andy
Old 07-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Sage Expert

Hi Andy.

I know you're working on an updated STV, but I wanted to relate my experience.

I downloaded the .dll, updated the STV, exited, loaded the HDHR Setup, scanned then changed my Guide Number data from phy.pgm format to xxx cable lineup number (706, 186, etc), apply, exit. Opened SageTV, RESET all the channels so there was no data and then 'Scan for Additional Channels'.

The results were strange:

A few stations had their Logical channels remapped (6, 7, 9) using the CH token, and displayed no physical remap information (there was a Reset Physical to Default option shown). When I reset the Logical to Default then the physical remap data displayed in the station info.

Most stations had their Physical remaped using the CH token.

Strangly, a couple stations still had their previous phy-major-minor Physical restored (probably because I didn't exit Sage when I reset/cleared the channels previously)

A few stations didn't get any changes and I had to hand remap a Physical channel.

I'll wait and try again when the latest updates get published.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

What I found after installing the DLL file was that I still had to go into the properties file and add QAM to the 2 HDHR entries. I did the STV update. I did the HDHR scan, it found and played my channels using VLC. When I went to Sage and did the scan they did not all work. I used the .frq file that Sage created to remap. If you just use the number on the left in the .frq file.. The 1,2,3,4 sequence number, as the physical channel number it all works.

Seems like the same as before where you used the number that the HDHR assigned.

For mere mortals to try and do this... Yeah, right....
Old 07-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDtyF350 View Post
What I found after installing the DLL file was that I still had to go into the properties file and add QAM to the 2 HDHR entries.
Then it sounds like the DLL might not have been put in the correct place, or SageTV wasn't restarted. I haven't added QAM to the HDHR's dshow_tv_type property since I said it was no longer needed.

Quote:
For mere mortals to try and do this... Yeah, right....
As I said above: there is another mapping issue we know about & are taking care of so no manual editing of the scn file or remapping in SageTV will be required. Wait for my next update before trying again.

- Andy
Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Sage Icon

Hm, I'm running 6.4.4 with with HDHR firmware from October of last year and I haven't updated the manager software in ages, and never had any issues while upgrading Sage. However, recently I have seen some signal loss situations that required a Sage service restart to fix..

Just wondering if I could simply upgrade to 6.4.5 - any chance that might actually work? The latest HDHR manager version I could find in my archive is 20071015. I wonder if that really could be the version I'm running..

Last edited by flavius; 07-17-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
Hm, I'm running 6.4.4 with with HDHR firmware from October of last year and I haven't updated the manager software in ages, and never had any issues while upgrading Sage.
Just wondering if I could simply upgrade to 6.4.5 - any chance that might actually work?
I think it should -- when I first installed v6.4.5, I hadn't yet intalled the latest HDHR beta software & my OTA and QAM HDHR tuners both continued to work. I simply installed SageTV on top of the previous version & restarted it. Just check the sticky in this forum about how to install a new version & make a complete backup first.

----
A note to those planning to use the next HDHR software update: I won't post the STV update until I have a chance to install the new HDHR beta & test it with the STV change I have, so I suggest that you wait for me to post the STV update before you try again.

- Andy