SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-17-2008, 01:10 PM

Only Interested in JPEG and MP3 Files

I need a way to display HD quality images of thousands of digital photos now on a computer hard drive to a large screen TV and play MP3 files through my stereo.

Is SageTV overkill for my needs?

My computer lacks a TV tuner and I'm not interested in installing one since I have full DVR capabilities via my Dish satellite system.

Do I need to install Sage software on my computer just for photo and music applications?

I understand Sage uses RC5 remote codes. Is there any way to learn these on a URC MX-850 learning remote?

Are there discrete on and off IR codes which truly turns the unit off, or does discreet off merely put the unit in Standby?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv Gleaner View Post
I need a way to display HD quality images of thousands of digital photos now on a computer hard drive to a large screen TV and play MP3 files through my stereo.

Is SageTV overkill for my needs?

My computer lacks a TV tuner and I'm not interested in installing one since I have full DVR capabilities via my Dish satellite system.

Do I need to install Sage software on my computer just for photo and music applications?

I understand Sage uses RC5 remote codes. Is there any way to learn these on a URC MX-850 learning remote?

Are there discrete on and off IR codes which truly turns the unit off, or does discreet off merely put the unit in Standby?
I love Sage, but if all you want to do is pictures and MP3's then Sage is a bit over kill, especially since I feel Sage's MP3 playback/sortiing is definately not its strong suit. Yes Sage can do it, but you can probably find cheaper and possibly better alternatives.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 07-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Sage User

Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
I love Sage, but if all you want to do is pictures and MP3's then Sage is a bit over kill, especially since I feel Sage's MP3 playback/sortiing is definately not its strong suit. Yes Sage can do it, but you can probably find cheaper and possibly better alternatives.
I built a small linux box to do that for my pictures... used debian as the distro, installed X, unclutter (to get rid of mouse pointer) and feh for the random picture viewer which displays full screen... did this from junk hardware that was going to the trash.. so cost was 0.00

wouldn't be hard to install an app for audio playback also.. I just think for simple things like that you're better off designing and building yourself..