SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:13 AM
Sage User

Adding Serial Port - PCI Card or USB Adapter?

Greets all,

I'm ordering up one of the Paterson Tech devices to drive a DirecTV H23 Receiver. My sole motherboard Serial Port is already controlling an ancient RCA SD receiver, so I need to add some COM ports. My question is...

Does anyone have anything to say recommending a particular USB to Serial Adapter versus a PCI card based serial adapter?

At my job, I've seen a $100k system brought to its knees by squirrely USB/Serial drivers, so I'm wary.

In a recent post the "BAFO" USB to Serial adapter was recommended. Here
NewEgg is showing a few Card based models.. Here

TIA for any advice.

-Chuck
Old 07-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckSchick View Post
Greets all,

I'm ordering up one of the Paterson Tech devices to drive a DirecTV H23 Receiver. My sole motherboard Serial Port is already controlling an ancient RCA SD receiver, so I need to add some COM ports. My question is...

Does anyone have anything to say recommending a particular USB to Serial Adapter versus a PCI card based serial adapter?

At my job, I've seen a $100k system brought to its knees by squirrely USB/Serial drivers, so I'm wary.

In a recent post the "BAFO" USB to Serial adapter was recommended. Here
NewEgg is showing a few Card based models.. Here

TIA for any advice.

-Chuck

Ive used both for several different applications. I prefer the PCI card as it worked in all of my apps. I did have success with the USB adapter as well. I think the only problem with the USB adapter is if you change usb ports you have to reconfigure the device.
Maybe somebody has used a usb convertor on DTV serial control, i just used it for my Laser Engraver and some custom apps for work.

Technazz