SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Limit sources to an extender??

I currently have two MPVs and one HD100 extenders. I am considering a HDPVR. My video sources are a PVR150 a 1600 (for SD) and a HDHR.

If I install a HDPVR I will then have 3 SD capable sources. When I am using the MVP and I tune a SD channel how will it know not to use the HDPVR? I understand the MVP does not have the power to process H.264 files.

Also the lineup I will be using for the HDPVR is the same one I am using for the HDHR. In order to use the HDPVR for SD channels, I will have to "unhide" those channels from the lineup. Given edits to a lineup affect all tuners using the lineuip, won't the HDHR then be an available source for those SD channels even though it is not capable of tuning them?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2008, 07:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
I currently have two MPVs and one HD100 extenders. I am considering a HDPVR. My video sources are a PVR150 a 1600 (for SD) and a HDHR.

If I install a HDPVR I will then have 3 SD capable sources. When I am using the MVP and I tune a SD channel how will it know not to use the HDPVR? I understand the MVP does not have the power to process H.264 files.

Also the lineup I will be using for the HDPVR is the same one I am using for the HDHR. In order to use the HDPVR for SD channels, I will have to "unhide" those channels from the lineup. Given edits to a lineup affect all tuners using the lineuip, won't the HDHR then be an available source for those SD channels even though it is not capable of tuning them?

Thanks
Since you are using the HDPVR, I assume you are using 6.4.5. 6.4.5 has the ability to copy the same lineup from one tuner to another but use different channels. So what you need is to use the same channel lineup but different channels selected in the lineups. Then the HDHR won't be able to select the channels that the HDPVR is needed for....

Also, technically the MediaMVP's aren't able to play standard HD MPEG2 streams or the H.264 streams either natively. However, Sage can transcode the HD MPEG2 streams on the fly to SD MPEG2 streams for use on the MediaMVP (as long as you have a decent amount of horsepower in your server). No amount of cpu power has proven to be able to transcode the HD H.264 streams on the fly......Just clarifying for anyone who might read this thread.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter