SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

I was informed by support that EVR is a priority. A big priority.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 09-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hi,

I was informed by support that EVR is a priority. A big priority.

Jesse
Ah hah! So it's working.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Sage Expert

I recently noticed a new download out there called EVRPlay that seems to be a new playback mechanism which uses EVR. Very interesting...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=253
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 10-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
I recently noticed a new download out there called EVRPlay that seems to be a new playback mechanism which uses EVR. Very interesting...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=253
I wanted to see how hard it was to swap VMR for EVR

It's not that remote friendly yet, but if you have any feedback I'd love to hear it.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

I think the problem SageTV has is not simply swapping the renderer... or they would have dont that a year ago. It's supporting 3D rendered graphics over it (ie sageTV interface while there's video).

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
I wanted to see how hard it was to swap VMR for EVR

It's not that remote friendly yet, but if you have any feedback I'd love to hear it.
Hey Andy,

Is there any way you could make a SageTV Media Player Plugin using your work so far? According to that thread, you can use this interface to make an alternate media player. I wonder if this is how SageTVPlayer.exe, which I guess is just a modified mplayer, is implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
I think the problem SageTV has is not simply swapping the renderer... or they would have dont that a year ago. It's supporting 3D rendered graphics over it (ie sageTV interface while there's video).
If they can put their OSD over SageTVPlayer/mplayer, why couldn't it be done with a different player that uses EVR? From the thread I linked to above

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE:
The full SageTV UI can be exported to remote locations or devices by using this plugin along with the SageTV Input plugin and the SageTV OSD Rendering plugin. These 3 interfaces provide all that is needed to get the SageTV UI running on a Media Adapter or Media Extender or simillar device. An example of this can be seen in the Hauppauge MediaMVP plugin available here: http://www.streams.ch/
Old 10-17-2008, 12:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Same reason why it took over a year for SagTV to support VMR when it was first introduce as opposed to overlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondo_se View Post

If they can put their OSD over SageTVPlayer/mplayer, why couldn't it be done with a different player that uses EVR? From the thread I linked to above

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I didn't mean to imply that it should be easy for them. Even just swapping the renderer isn't as simple as it sounds. The EVR is very different than VMR, even in my simple player it took a while to make it work properly.

I have no idea how they draw the controls over the video, depending on their approach it could be easy or hard (if it's all custom rendering). Drawing windows with their own controls over a video isn't that difficult (the approach I'm taking in the next rev).

EVRPlay was born more out of frustration with Media Center's lack of flexibility (e.g. getting MKV to play is a challenge) than any shortcomings in Sage. I wanted to watch some HD MKV rips on my laptop (no Sage) and when I couldn't get them to play right in MC, it seemed like an interesting thing to mess with. Exposing Sage's content via the webserver was a natural extension to the application once the playback stuff got sorted out.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Hey Andy,

Is there any way you could make a SageTV Media Player Plugin using your work so far? According to that thread, you can use this interface to make an alternate media player. I wonder if this is how SageTVPlayer.exe, which I guess is just a modified mplayer, is implemented.

I didn't know this was possible so I haven't looked at it.

They are working on EVR support (I think it's planned for 6.5) being new to Sage, I don't know how long it is b/w releases but it doesn't seem like it should be that far off.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

EVR or just an properly aligned VSYNC

MY system
ASUS M2NE
AMD 5600
ATI 3850 Dual HDMI Outputs
4G Ram
4 Terabytes
Sage 6.4.8
AC3
Hauppauge 1800 for ATSC captures
Windows XP 32bit

VRM9 + HD = Video Tearing (a line in the screen where the above and below video are not aligned)

Overlay + HD= Clean Video with no Tearing (Much bigger embedded CC font than VRM9).

I think everyone would be happy if we could have VRM9 with no tearing.
I am for the quickest solution that gets us there for a quick fix.

Even a software knob where I could change the phase of that Vsync to the bottom of the screen would be fine.

Long term I am okay with EVR or anything Sage could do that would be equivalent.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPCGUY View Post
Windows XP 32bit
We need EVR for Vista. For some stupid reason, you can't get H.264 acceleration with any decoder in Vista without EVR.

Vista + No EVR = No H.264 Acceleration = Crappy H.264 picture
Old 10-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
We need EVR for Vista. For some stupid reason, you can't get H.264 acceleration with any decoder in Vista without EVR.

EVR looks great (better than VMR9 or Overlay) for other sources too.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

I've tried out EVRPlay but no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to attach to any of my filters. I always get the error message:

Error: The Source filter for this file could not be loaded.

I just downloaded 1.0.0.4 and get the same problem. And I just tried a few more file types. MPG files recorded by my HDHR or PVR150 seem to play fine. But my HD-PVR recordings and my MKV DVD/BD conversions won't play and both receive that error.

The system I'm running it on is my client system in my sig with Vista Ultimate x64 if that helps.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Sage Icon

I'd guess that you don't have any x64 filters capable of decoding the a/v streams or loading the file in the case of mkv.

The application isn't compiled to force a platform, but you can modify the assembly by doing this.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
I'd guess that you don't have any x64 filters capable of decoding the a/v streams or loading the file in the case of mkv.

The application isn't compiled to force a platform, but you can modify the assembly by doing this.
Thank you! After a little bit of trial and tribulation with the Windows SDK I was finally able to get the 32bit flag changed on the executable. I can't wait to get home and really try it out. Video just doesn't work that well through Remote Desktop.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Sage Icon

I'll probably change the compile setting for the next rev to force x86, there aren't enough x64 filters to really worry about supporting it.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Sage User

I tried that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Thank you! After a little bit of trial and tribulation with the Windows SDK I was finally able to get the 32bit flag changed on the executable. I can't wait to get home and really try it out. Video just doesn't work that well through Remote Desktop.
It eliminated the "Error: The source filter for this file could not be loaded" error and instead I get an error stating "Error: Index was outside the bounds of the array" on any attempt to open a .ts file produced by the HD PVR.

The ArcSoft decoder does show up in the settings dialog under preferred filters.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tledford View Post
It eliminated the "Error: The source filter for this file could not be loaded" error and instead I get an error stating "Error: Index was outside the bounds of the array" on any attempt to open a .ts file produced by the HD PVR.

The ArcSoft decoder does show up in the settings dialog under preferred filters.
I was getting that with my MKV files. I prefer to use the Cyberlink H.264 Decoder. To fix it I had to add .mkv along with the CLSID for my preferred decoder and it worked. I actually ended up changing it to the Arcsoft decoder because I thought it would fix a problem with the menus not going away. But it didn't.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Sage Icon

It would probably be easier to address these issues if you start a thread per issue on my site (http://babgvant.com/forums/35.aspx).

Please include the log file so I can see what's going on.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:45 PM
SageTVaholic

I've had hardware acceleration with Cyberlink H.264 video decoders for over a year now (version 7, and now 8); both in SageTV and WMP using under Vista32. (using TS containers).

Quote:

***RIP SageTV***