SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Simple DNS and Gateway Explanation for Extenders

Can someone provide an understandable explanation of how the HD Extender uses the Gateway and DNS information provided under the static IP option? Examples of network configurations would be very helpful.

I have a network with three routers, and I have it working ok, but I can't say I really understand DNS and Gateway. I just plug in the IP address of the upstream router for the DNS and Gateway for internal routers and computers. For the router next to the internet, I use OpenDNS servers for DNS, and I obtain my IP automatically from my ISP.

If someone can help explain this, I'm sure many people would appreciate it. I certainly would. Thanks.
STV 9.1.5.683 / Vista Premium / Compaq Presario SR-5550F / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 / nvidia GeForce 8400GS / 3 GB DDR2 / 500 GB SATA / 1 TB SATA / M2N68-LA Motherboard / Hauppauge HVR-1250 / Hauppauge HVR-1600 / 2 x STX-HD100 / OTA / Channel Master FLATenna 35
Old 08-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Sage Icon

DNS quite simply is a lookup service that converts IP addresses to easy for human name (domain names)

205.234.102.170 = www.sagetv.com

They are one in the same however it's easier for you to remember sagetv.com.

By using the IP of the router you are just resuing it's DNS server configuration on the client, you shouldn't have any troubles and it's actually prefered as the router probably gets this from your ISP directly through DHCP (auto config). You can also manually use any DNS server you like but if they change you would need to manually update it.

Gateway is the access point to the internet so basically it's where all non-local requests should be sent. Your gateway is basically the modem provided by your ISP.

Why do you have 3 routers?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

One router is a Vonage device, doesn't do any real routing right now, just VOIP. I have a wireless router between the other routers and the internet. If someone cracks the wireless security, they still have to get through another router to hit my computers.

Thanks for the explanation. All non-local requests go through the Gateway. DNS translates URL's into IP's.
STV 9.1.5.683 / Vista Premium / Compaq Presario SR-5550F / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 / nvidia GeForce 8400GS / 3 GB DDR2 / 500 GB SATA / 1 TB SATA / M2N68-LA Motherboard / Hauppauge HVR-1250 / Hauppauge HVR-1600 / 2 x STX-HD100 / OTA / Channel Master FLATenna 35