SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Sage User

UTF-16 File Names throwing playback exception on mp3

Hi all, (Edit: I accidentally pasted it in this section and not the extender section... and I don't know how to move it myself. Sorry.)

I went ahead and jumped ship from VMC and got the HD100 with a sage server. Its been a rocky start but it is finally coming together for me. I noticed a problem with playing mp3 files with UTF-16 file names and I'm wondering if anyone has a fix for this that doesn't lead me to replace the naming of the file. I use media monkey to sort my music and use ASCII when possible and then UTF-16 when not.

On thing I have noticed is that I am having problems with certain mp3 files when playing them on the HD100. I have the latest release of the firmware and sage server. I have my music sort by <Artist>\<Album>\<Artist> - <Title>.mp3 on my server. I use a unc path to access the music and the sage service has access to the unc (which is actually on the server... just a share).

The problem is that when I access a music file such as Édith Piaf, the character "É" is causing the HD100 to throw exceptions because it cannot find the file. The reason I know that it can't find the file is because I renamed this one file to Edith Piaf, rescanned the directories and walla, works perfectly. I kept the tag as "Édith Piaf" and sage did not have a problem as long as the file name did not contain it.

I am able to access these files without a problem with PCs and the likes but sage is having a problem with reading these files. I also don't think it is limited to the first character...

Any ideas? I guess I could force ASCII but with a large library I might need to distort the tags to accomidate....

Last edited by PAF; 08-13-2008 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 08-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Does it work in SageTV on a PC?

When you say you are using the latest release, what exact version is that?

I suggest reporting it to SageTV if you are using the latest v6.4 beta.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Sage User

Works on the Server, not the extender

The version I am running now is 6.4.7.182, which is a release candidate (still beta?). I did upgrade from a previous version with the same problem but I can't remember the version . The extender version is also the beta firmware version "20080812 0". (also updated, but I do know it was from "20080812 0") I am running XP SP3 and JRE 1.6.0_07 on the server which is a AMD Phenom X4 with 2GB of DDR800 ram. I just played the file on the server and it played normally but when I played the exact same file on the extender, I received an exception error. The file is <PC UNC>\My Music\Music\Édith Piaf\Non je ne regrette rien\Édith Piaf - Padam padam.mp3.

Im new to the forum as well as Sage so I'm not sure what should be reported and if its just me not configuring stuff correctly. Thanks for the tip and I'll report it to Sage.

Nontheless, I'm still having 1/10 the issues I had with VMC

Last edited by PAF; 08-13-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 08-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Sage User

Should be Fixed in V6.4.8, Woot!

Nice job SageTV! After submitting the bug, the support team emailed me and said the bug will be fixed in V6.4.8 of the sage server. Two words, simply amazing!