SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Sage User

Ever since I installed SageMC I have noticed that periodically, the UI hangs and I get the spinning wait circle thing. I've recently turned on debug logging and I can see that I get this message repeatedly whenever that happens:

EventThread-SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI Hang Detected - hang time = xxxxx

Sometimes the hang time is as greater that 35,000 but usually it is around 8-10,000. The context of these messages in the log file always seems different. It just seems random to me.

I've always assumed that this was a Sage issue in general but I have since confirmed that I only get this when using SageMC.

my stats:
Latest Sage, latest SageMC, latest Java (update 7)
headless Server 2003 P4 server (single proc, 1gb RAM)
single HD100 client connected via 1gb switch
HD-PVR connected via s-video to DirecTV (SD only for the moment)
recording directory is set to a local drive that does not spin down
2 plugins: web UI & Sage recorder XML file generator

All in all, a pretty simple setup with not a lot of tweaking.

While my server is older, sage is really the only thing running on it and it seems to have plenty of horsepower. Note that it is a single CPU core though so perhaps this is a threading issue that most people don't encounter. This hang seems completely random but it seems to happen the most when sage is first woken up (sage, not my server - it never sleeps). I sometime notice that the network activity light on my HD100 seems to blink slower while it is hung. Sometimes it will hang repeatedly sometime it won't hang for days. Restarting sage seems to have no effect as sometime it will hang right away. I can trigger these hangs both from the HD100 and the local server Sage UI. In every instance while it is hung my server's CPU is doing nothing at the time. The java heap seems fine as does the overal memory consumption on my sever. My drives are all local and not spinning down either. Switching back to the default SageTV3.xml however makes the hang go away completely.

Note that I have seen in another thread that this may be related to a Java bug but I have only seen this referenced once and have not pursued getting a java hotfix to try.

If anyone wants/needs more details, I have lots of log files.

david
Old 09-22-2008, 02:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gveres View Post
2. give us the option to use the full alphabet key entry screen instead of the less than useable cell phone like entry screen. Even with a remote I prefer to have each letter on its own button. Please give us the option to make this the only text entry mechanism.
This one already exists. I just found it this weekend myself and was ecstatic about it! You can set the default behavior someplace, but you can also toggle between the two using a button... perhaps it's the PAUSE button?
Old 09-28-2008, 01:46 AM

2 issues:

1. SageMC doesn't seem to honor photo_lib/num_folder_thumbs setting from Sage.properties. Instead has it hard-coded to 2x2 (workaround -- manually change the values around line 67038 of the SageMC_169.xml)

2. SageMC doesn't seem to take the changes to the numeric text hints/values.

I have vanila Sage.properties with additional settings listed here.

and the following:

ui/translation_language_code=
ui/numeric_text_hint__2=2\n\u0430\u0431\u0432\u04332
ui/numeric_text_input__2=\u0430\u0431\u0432\u04332

Default STV displays hints/values correctly, but SageMC always shows "2\nABC"/"ABC2".

I also tried:

ui/translation_language_code=en
ui/numeric_text_hint_en_2=2\n\u0430\u0431\u0432\u04332
ui/numeric_text_input_en_2=\u0430\u0431\u0432\u04332

Same results. Default works, SageMC shows "ABC".

I would appreciate if you could point out place in SageMC xml files where this can be fixed (I couldn't figure this one out myself).

Thank you
Old 09-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
This one already exists. I just found it this weekend myself and was ecstatic about it! You can set the default behavior someplace, but you can also toggle between the two using a button... perhaps it's the PAUSE button?
Yeah, I found it.

Under the old Detailed Setup menu, select Customize, then Numeric Text Input Settings.
On the dialog that comes up, make sure that Use Numeric Text Input is set to No.

Now here is the kicker. When I brought this menu up, it said no. But I selected No anyway and the resulting dialog box that came up had Yes selected. I re-selected No and it worked. I have the "every letter has a button" UI. Much better.

Thanks
Greg

Last edited by gveres; 09-28-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Current encoder icons in guide

Mike:

I think there may be a flaw in the logic that determines which icon to use for the current encoder icon in the guide.

I'm currently running 2 dual tv tuners & I have removed them from the sage properties several times & re-installed them using the default stv.

Regardless of what I do, when I switch back to the current version of sage mc it shows the encoders in the guide as 1, 1, 3, & 4.??

Yes you read that correctly, Two #1's & No #2 encoder... Weird eh ??

-Bruce
Server: Intel DH55HC MB, Intel Core i5-661 CPU, 4 GB Corsair PC3 10666 RAM, 2 Ceton InfiniTV 4s (Comcast), RocketRAID 2740 16PORT SAS 6.0Gb Controller, 2.56TB TV Storage (4 WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6.0Gb Drives), 8.5TB Movie Storage, Norco 4220 Case, Corsair HX750 PS, W7 Professional (Windows Media Center), TunerSalad Foot Long, My Channel Logos, & MYMovies.

Last edited by 95TBird; 10-07-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 PM
SageTVaholic

@95TBird

Yup, that's a weird one alright.

Can you post your sage.properties file in a new thread? Something might turn up.

Also maybe try this: (I know it's time consuming. Sorry about that.)
  • Switch to the default STV, shut down SageTV, and back up your sage.properties file.
  • Then go in to the properties file and delete all of the lines that start with mmc/encoders and save.
  • Start SageTV and go through the encoder setup from scratch.
  • Once you have everything set up, switch to SageMC and see what you get.

I'm guessing that something from a previous setup is still hanging around, messing you up.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Sage User

I have a problem with the menus not seeming to "refresh" everything instantly if that makes any sense. Like, the clock is always accurate but the "Now Recording" icon will stay stuck on even after a show has ended - until I exit and re-enter the menus. Similar problems with shows that are being currently recorded. If I try to watch them while they're still in progress, the top-menu for Recordings will correctly show "3 more" (or however many there are) and does include the current episode in the list, but when I go to the sub menu to pick the specific one to watch, it will only list the previous 2. I have to exit and re-enter the menu before it will show all 3 episodes.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Mike, Dirk, Nielm,

The dynamic menus in SageMC are writing the old server value: http://www.sage-community.org/~nielm...gemenu_1_3.dtd which does not exist.

This does not cause an issue for Windows, but it does for Linux and Mac. The updated value should be:

http://sageplugins.sourceforge.net/n...gemenu_1_3.dtd

B
Old 12-07-2008, 05:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
Mike, Dirk, Nielm,

The dynamic menus in SageMC are writing the old server value: http://www.sage-community.org/~nielm/nielm_modules/dynamic_menu/sagemenu_1_3.dtd which does not exist.

This does not cause an issue for Windows, but it does for Linux and Mac. The updated value should be:

http://sageplugins.sourceforge.net/n...gemenu_1_3.dtd

B
Yeah, the full download file still contained an older version of nielm_sagemenureader.jar. I updated both SageMC download files with the newest version of Niel's jars (including flashbacck's IMDB fix).

Dirk
Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Sage User

I'm think this is specific to my setup because I haven't seen anyone else mention it. The green time/play bar at the bottom of the screen while watching a video/tv won't come up, so of course I have no idea where I am at in the show, if Comskip has completed it's scan, etc. It was working before updating. Is there a menu option I missed?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

I can't seem to find anything about this anywhere else in here, so here goes.

I'm having problems with changing A/R within SageMC. I've got a button mapped on my remote to cycle thru the 4 different aspect ratios (Fill, Source, 16:9, and 4:3) and when changing A/R's it messes up the size of the picture. If I go out to the main menu then the a/r seems to fix itself.

I'll show you what I mean with some screenshots.

So, lets start out in 16:9 watching HDTV, this a/r (which I've modified slightly to remove a small black strip at the top) is working fine.

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/fil...x9_working.JPG

now we'll switch it to 4:3, which seems to work fine as well, as you can see it's squished the widescreen picture.

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/fil..._3_working.JPG

now this is what happens when I switch back to 16:9, as you can see it's made the picture a little wider, but not full width like it was originally. if I go to the main menu, the preview window looks correct, and if I make it fullscreen again all is fixed.

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/fil...ot_working.JPG

Now, if I go back to the regular SageTV3.xml, everything works fine, no messed up A/R's.

Normally I wouldn't care much about this, but it's a real pain when trying to go from watching HDTV that's in 16:9 to movies that are anamorphic and have to be set to source to look right.

I first noticed this behaviour when I upgraded to a beta SageMC xml (i think it was the 6.3.9.41) to fix the squished menus, and have since upgraded both sagetv and sagemc to the latest versions (SageTV ver. 6.5.20.216, and SageMC version 6.3.9a). The only thing that struck me as a little odd is that the sagemc.jar version is 6.3.8.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

No movies in Genre view

When I have filter expressions set in my SageMC.xml, no files show up in genres except for the unassigned group. If I take out the filter paths then all the movies show up in genres