SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Puzzling. Only other thing I can think of is a corrupt file. Maybe from the java install or java sdk. Or possibly a sector going bad on the hard drive. Maybe run chkdsk after you have everything reinstalled to see if you're beginning to have a drive issue.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Sage Icon

Could it be that you have a corrupted STV? Have you made sure you went back to the default STV that comes with SAGE?
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 09-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

well, with the numerous uninstall and complete reinstalls, I've definitely returned to whatever comes with sage.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Sage Icon

Just checking....

It's true that when you first install Sage it overwrites the default STV file and it adjusts the properties file to point back to the default. However, there is always the possibility that you were setting up a custom STV (like SageMC or something of your own creation) right away before you did anything else.

Also, it's possible that you backed-up your properties and wiz.bin files before the re-install, then copied them back in place after the re-install. In which case, your backed-up properties file would still be telling Sage to use whatever STV you used last.

Since you reported that your problems started after playing with Studio, the most logical explanation would be some bad STV code. Personally, I saw some symptoms similar to what you described (massive slow downs) when I tried to run an STV that was written for Sage Version 3 under Sage Version 4. So, I know it is possible to screw up an STV such that Sage becomes slow and unresponsive.

The only thing I can suggest (if you haven't done so already) is to:
(1) completely shut down Sage
(2) rename the Sage folder (something like "C:\Program Files\SageTV-Backup").
(3) Install Sage from scratch.
(4) Test the new install.
(5) If things start working again, you can shut down Sage again and copy over the Wiz.Bin file from your backup folder to the new install, then restart Sage. If things don't improve, I'm out of ideas and you will probably need to contact Sage Support for help.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ya, I've tried that already. Shut down sage (I don't run it in service mode, so I just close it if it's open), complete uninstall, deletion of old Sage directory, reboot, install using installer from sage website, start it up and just hit Ctrl-Shift F12. So I'm not doing anything to the new install prior to opening the Studio, and I'm still seeing the terrible slowdown.

I have a message into tech support, still waiting to hear back.

Only thing left I'm wondering is if I'm somehow got a beta version of sage and not the official release.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage support to the rescue! Turns out it was actually a java bug. I don't know how I became an unlucky and (I guess) rare victim of it, but they pointed me to an release candidate of java where they've fixed it, and it now opens studio just snappy.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.