SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Will this work? - Sage, Hauppauge PVR150 and Microsoft MCE remote/IR blaster

With XP MCE2005, has anyone used this combo with success, and if so, do I need any drivers, hacks, etc?

I don't mind the Hauppauge remote and IR Blaster, but their IR blaster only talks to my satellite receiver on address "000", while the Microsoft IR Blaster seems to talk on multiple address (I use 001 or 002).

I know there is a setup selection for the MCE remote in Sage setup, but was unclear what needs to be done to make it function.

thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think you have to use a plugin for the blaster, but everything else will work out of the box. StephaneM wrote a utility for the blaster IIRC?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:26 AM
SageTVaholic

thanks - I've looked around and haven't found it yet (is it a driver or a utility to your knowledge?).

If you have any more info I'd appreciate it. I have the remote half working, but it seems to make Sage a bit wonky (I can't get out of the setup menu).

cheers
Old 09-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
thanks - I've looked around and haven't found it yet (is it a driver or a utility to your knowledge?)
Check my signature. It's an application with a SageTV plugin.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneM View Post
Check my signature. It's an application with a SageTV plugin.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Great - found it thanks - all works except changing channels and volume (in Vista). It's likely I'm doing something wrong
Old 10-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
all works except changing channels and volume (in Vista).
Could you be more specific about the issue?

Are the Channel Up/Down and Volume Up/Down buttons on the remote not working? Or has it something to do with the blaster?

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Could you be more specific about the issue?

Are the Channel Up/Down and Volume Up/Down buttons on the remote not working? Or has it something to do with the blaster?

Regards,
Stéphane.
Using Vista and a Huappauge PVR150 card, the MCE remote / IR Blaster maneuvers through the guide, selects and highlights programs in Sage, and the number keys will key in the correct number.

However, when you actually select a channel to watch, the IR Blaster doesn't make the change on the motorola satellite receiver.

The channel up/down keys do work when sifting up/down through pages of listings, however.

I see no evidence of the volume controls doing anything.

hope this helps
Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
However, when you actually select a channel to watch, the IR Blaster doesn't make the change on the motorola satellite receiver.
You first have to create IR devices within LM RKM and learn the IR codes for each number buttons of your set top box original remote.

Then you'll have to install the SageTV plugin and recreate your video sources.

Quote:
I see no evidence of the volume controls doing anything.
You can use the live trace viewer (right click on the LM RKM taskbar notification icon and see if something happens when you click on the volume buttons).

You can also review the log files in the Config & Log folder (you can open it from the taskbar notification icon) as it is very possible that you may have an issue with your sound card (it's more usual with XP though, for instance if you use remote desktop volume control will not work)

Also, the default action associated with volume up / volume down, should show a volume OSD and use the LM RKM own volume change system, you can very well override this by creating a SageTV profile and use the default keyboard shortcut SageTV use for changing volume. You can also change the default volume buttons actions with an "AppCommand" action (MediaVolumeUp / MediaVolumeDown) or a "PressKey" action (VolumeDown / VolumeUp)

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks again - do you have the profiles for the Starchouice line of receivers for purchase, and if so, what is the cost?

cheers
Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You first have to create IR devices within LM RKM and learn the IR codes for each number buttons of your set top box original remote.

Then you'll have to install the SageTV plugin and recreate your video sources.

You can use the live trace viewer (right click on the LM RKM taskbar notification icon and see if something happens when you click on the volume buttons).

You can also review the log files in the Config & Log folder (you can open it from the taskbar notification icon) as it is very possible that you may have an issue with your sound card (it's more usual with XP though, for instance if you use remote desktop volume control will not work)

Also, the default action associated with volume up / volume down, should show a volume OSD and use the LM RKM own volume change system, you can very well override this by creating a SageTV profile and use the default keyboard shortcut SageTV use for changing volume. You can also change the default volume buttons actions with an "AppCommand" action (MediaVolumeUp / MediaVolumeDown) or a "PressKey" action (VolumeDown / VolumeUp)

Regards,
Stéphane.

I made a map (IR Device) of the receiver, and all the buttons test properly. Now, how do I get the MCE remote to accept those commands?

thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I made a map (IR Device) of the receiver, and all the buttons test properly. Now, how do I get the MCE remote to accept those commands?

thanks
Ok, figured out how to get the new IR device to Sage plugins - now, I assume all I have to do is change the mapping of the MCE remote to focus on SageTV's relevant feature set, is that correct?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
do you have the profiles for the Starchouice line of receivers for purchase, and if so, what is the cost?
There is one Starchoice device in the database (for MCE blaster on XP). The donation is 15€.

Quote:
The MCE remote doesn't do anything here, it's SageTV to does channel tuning and use the blaster. You have to recreate your video source so as you tell SageTV to use the LM Remote KeyMap channel tuning plugin.

Quote:
now, I assume all I have to do is change the mapping of the MCE remote to focus on SageTV's relevant feature set, is that correct?
Yes. As I indicated on the other thread, you need to create or download a SageTV remote profile.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:00 AM
SageTVaholic

I am slowly getting there with your help....a couple of things:

The channel up/channel down button seems to send a "double" command when in the "guide" menu of SageTV. Channels "change" properly, one at a time. However, the remote needs a "firm" press when in the menu, and then the channel listings scroll by two-pages-at-a-time as opposed to one page at a time. Any idea how I can fix this?

Also, the volume OSD works, as well as controlling volume. However, the SageTV visual volume / mute display (bottom left) isn't activated as it is when using the Hauppauge remote / blaster combo.

I am using the "default" remote profile, and editing it. Is that my problem? The downloadable Sage remote profile for the MCE remote is 15 euros, correct?

thanks again

Last edited by tvmaster2; 10-03-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The channel up/channel down button seems to send a "double" command.../...Any idea how I can fix this?
Some buttons like Channel Up / Channel Down cannot be exclusively used by LM RKM. In this case you'll have to use a "None" action for the buttons in LM RKM as another application is also doing something for this button.

Quote:
Also, the volume OSD works, as well as controlling volume. However, the SageTV visual volume / mute display (bottom left) isn't activated as it is when using the Hauppauge remote / blaster combo.
This is the expected behavior. If you use the ChangeVolume action, you should only see the LM RKM OSD. You can use another actions if you want (for instance the dedicated keyboard shortcut for changing the volume in SageTV)

Quote:
I am using the "default" remote profile, and editing it. Is that my problem?
Yes and no. The default profile will be used for all applications. So if you want the volume buttons to do something when not using SageTV and do something else when using SageTV, you have to create a SageTV profile.

Quote:
The downloadable Sage remote profile for the MCE remote is 15 euros, correct?
With the 15€ donation you can download remote profiles and ir devices and also have priority e-mail support as well as receiving notification when a new version of LM RKM is issued.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

As I do my experimentations with Remote Profiles, are the changes I make "real time", in so much that I would see a result instantly if Sage is open at the time, or do I have to close and re-open Sage for the changes I am making to be recognized by Sage?

Also...under Remote Profiles: I added one called "Sage" and began to work on it. I can't seem to make it active, however.
The default profile seems to be the only one that the MCE remote wants to talk to. What am I doing wrong?

Lastly, let's say I edit the default profile and then want to save it under another name, is that possible?
In what directory do the remote profiles get saved, and with what extension?

thanks, S.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 10-04-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
As I do my experimentations with Remote Profiles, are the changes I make "real time", in so much that I would see a result instantly if Sage is open at the time, or do I have to close and re-open Sage for the changes I am making to be recognized by Sage?
You do not need to restart SageTV or LM RKM.

Quote:
Also...under Remote Profiles: I added one called "Sage" and began to work on it. I can't seem to make it active, however.
The default profile seems to be the only one that the MCE remote wants to talk to. What am I doing wrong?
You need to tell LM RKM what is the target application for your profile, in your case SageTV (use all or one of the target application fields : class, title, exec name)

Quote:
Lastly, let's say I edit the default profile and then want to save it under another name, is that possible? In what directory do the remote profiles get saved, and with what extension?
You don't need to. When you create a new profile, it automatically inherits the mappings of the default profile (for buttons that doesn't have any actions). So basically in a dedicated profile you override the default one.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Ok, that makes more sense then. The MCE remote I have doesn't have the four colour buttons at the bottom, but instead has a "TV" button at the top, and an "Enter" button at the bottom.

I tried to add code to your default profile to insert those two buttons via copying lines of your code and giving them higher numbered designations, but that didn't seem to do anything (aka they didn't respond when programmed).

Is the code linked to your .jpg image in some way?

Oh, I updated to 4.8 (?), which adds the option of the Hauppauge remote. I didn't realize that remote could be remapped.

thanks again
Old 10-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
has a "TV" button at the top, and an "Enter" button at the bottom.
The "TV" button cannot be used (it is usually used to power on/off a TV as the MCE remote can learn IR codes on this button) and the "Enter" button is basically the same as the "Ok" button, so it cannot be used either.

Quote:
I tried to add code to your default profile to insert those two buttons via copying lines.../...Is the code linked to your .jpg image in some way?
You cannot change the remote layout.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Is there any reason, Stephane, that Media Center would stop working after installing and using your software?

I get the continual windows requester:
Windows Media Center Reveiver Service stopped working and was closed.

Also, Media Center cannot find the Hauppauge tuner any longer.

Sage and WinTV find the tuner no problem.

Even if I manually start all Media Center services in "Services", it does no good.

I manually removed ehtray from the registry, but I don't think that's the problem.

Do I have to uninstall your software to be able to use Media Center live TV again?

thanks
Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Is there any reason, Stephane, that Media Center would stop working after installing and using your software?
None, my software is only a listener, it doesn't change anything in Media Center that would prevent it from working properly.