SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Sage User

Feature suggestion: "Wishful thinking" columns on Recording Schedule Screen

Feature suggestion: "Wishful thinking" columns on Recording Schedule Screen

(suggestion based on use of beta 2.0.12)

To help resolve conflicts and "see what I'm missing", I think it would be a good idea to modify the "Recording Schedule" screen slightly. Right now, this screen lists shows in 2 columns, one for Tuner #1 and one for Tuner #2.

My suggestion: Make this screen have 5 columns, so I can see what other 3 shows SageTV *would* record if only I had more tuner cards. (Call these the "wishful thinking" columns

Then, clicking on a show in the "wishful thinking" columns should lead to a dialog:

-- If it's a favorite, then ask which scheduled recording it should replace, and adjust the favorites priorities accordingly

-- If it's not a favorite, then the dialog should go to create a favorite, and ask which scheduled recording the new favorite should have priority over.

Anyway, I posted this in the beta bug form as well.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
Very interesting. I wonder how many columns could be represented before it became illegible?

t
Old 02-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Sage Icon

How about a lateral scroll instead? That way you could have your N tuners and if you scrolled right you would see what you are missing.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:47 PM

Cool, I personally think that 3 wishfull would be enough.IMO But being able to scroll off screen would still be usefull both for easier reading and for those with many tuners.

This seems a little similiar to the "recording history" on a Tivo. It lists what shows were/weren't recored and if not why. It also list the recorded shows that were deleted and whether they were deleted by the user or to make space for a new recording.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Sage Expert

Yeah, that type of history info would be terrific. Do you think that, if implemented in Sage, it should be separate or combined into a continuous past, present, and future recordings/non-recordings.

Deletions wouldn't really fit in well, though, I guess.

t
Old 02-16-2004, 03:08 PM

I like the way tivo does it. The "To do" screen is vertical and at the very top is a selection called "Recording History". If you select it you get a list of the shows not recorded/deleted and why, etc. The nice thing about this screen is that it doesn't only scroll into the past but it also scrolls down(left arrow returns to normal "To Do") into the future. The scroll into the future shows which programs won't be recorded and why(already recorded, conflict, etc). Selecting a particular show gives you a detailed explanation. For instance if a show X wasn't recorded because Y has a higher priority then selecting X from the list brings up a screen that shows the conflict with show Y and allows you to override it. I often use this recording history screen on my Tivo to override a decision it made for a particular show or episode. I don't know if I explained this all that well but this allows for an easy to naivgate screen(technically 2) that both, shows all the info you need to change recordings and gives you the tools to change them.

With Sage I personally would implement the wishfull recording the way fidget suggests and then put a Tivo style "Recording History" selection at the very top of the page. This way you can readily see the info you use most often, but by selecting "recording history" you can find out what happened/"going to happen" and Sage's reason behind those decisions. My 2 cents.

PS:It also come in handy if someone in the family deletes a show you know was recorded. You can check the list and then ask the culprit why they deleted the show before you had a chance to watch it.

Last edited by justme; 02-16-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Sage User

Actually, I would like to see options on this screen to view recording schedule by week or month as well as day. Kind of like the calendar views in Outlook. If you are in Month mode you could click on a day to see the day by hour. This way I would not have to scroll through three days to see if 24 is set to record on Tuesday.

BTW, has anyone had issues trying to record programs with First Run Only? It does not seem to work for me. I have to set it to First Runs and Reruns which is a pain if you are trying to record something like Sportscenter which is on 15 times per day.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:26 AM
Sage Expert

I like the idea of the week and month views but I don't know if you could get that much info on the screen or not. I think you would definitely have to filter out the IR for those of us that use it. Maybe it would be more useful for those with large HD sets. Maybe someone could mock one up and we could see how it looks on various sets.

As to favorites wonkiness, I've had a couple of problems but I've never been able to nail down enough parameters to describe it properly.

t
Old 02-18-2004, 06:41 AM
Sage User

Acutally, I don't even mind if I can't see exactly what is going to record in week or month view. I would just like the option of clicking on a different day to see what is set to record that day instead of having to scroll through each day.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Sage Expert

Of course, I just realized that as long as programming decisions are only made 3 days out even the week view doesn't buy you much. And even if you get around that, two weeks of data doesn't not a months schedule make.

t