SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Sage User

Unhappy Recordings don't play audio in Videolan VLC

I'm having trouble playing recordings using VLC - the audio doesn't work, or works sporadically.

Recordings I made using 6.4.x betas, before 6.4.8 seem to work fine, but then I cleaned down the server and installed the 6.4 release code and recording since then are inconsistent in VLC.

Some recordings play no audio at all, some play it with pauses, others will play if I select a different audio channel. But none work properly, except my old recordings.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Sage User

Has anyone seen this problem with audio?

It is only happening with recording from the latest SageTV realease v6.4.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have the same issue. Recordings that play perfectly fine in Sage do not always play right in VLC or Windows Media Player. Sometimes the video skips, sometimes the sound skips or is missing alltogether. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Sage User

i'm having this issue w/ 6.5.8. audio plays fine in sagetv but vlc is hit & miss
Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm having this issue with recording from my HDHR. HD recordings lock up almost immediately in Windows Media Player and play without sound in VLC. The same recordings seem to play back without trouble in my SageTV client.

I should note, SD recordings from my 2 Hauppauge WinTV-USB2s seem to be playing back just fine regardless of player. Is anyone else seeing this problem only with HD recordings or maybe HD recordings from a HDHR?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Sage User

when i try to play the sage .mpg files on a dsm-320 via tversity there is no sound. just like when i use vlc.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Sage Expert

Oddly, I just noticed this issue last night while attempting to play an r5000 (h264/AC3) recording on my Mac. Using 6.5x on my server. I chalked it up- to the Mac. Had no problems with XBMC (same Mac, same file, same server).
Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 PM
SageTVaholic

I've been dealing with this issue lately too. In fact, I was thinking about posting on the VLC forums.

I've been trying to play back HD mpeg2 recordings on my Macbook Pro in VLC. They all have ac3 audio. None of them work. In all cases, if I go to Window->Messages I see a bunch of warnings that say "PTS is out of range ([[some_#_here]]), dropping buffer".

The latest official version of VLC seems to have more problems than the nightlies. When I go to "Window->Media Information" in 0.9.8a it doesn't even recognize any of the codecs in the file. In the nightlies VLC will find the audio, video and subtitle streams. But, while it will play back the video, it won't play back the audio.

The files play back fine in Plex Media Center. Well, as fine as they can given that there doesn't seem to be any hardware accelerated mpeg2 playback on Macs. (Which I find really annoying, by the way. Aren't Macs suppose to be the multimedia platform?)

Playback of standard definition mpeg2 is fine. I think its related to the ac3 audio track.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

I posted a thread on the VLC forums this morning describing my problems. You can find it here. Please join in the discussion if you're having this problem on a Mac.