SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage craps out recording 4 shows at once

Now that the new season is upon us there are times when Sage is recording 4 shows at the same time from two HDHRs. Three is OK but when that 4th recording starts up the client doesn't respond and all four recordings are unwatchable. The recordings contain huge macroblocks, streaks and the audio is choppy.

So the question of the day is: Is the bottleneck the network or the file system? It should be noted that when I was recording 4 shows at once with BeyondTV this never happened even though its NIC is only 100mbit.

The HDHRs are connected to a gigabit switch. One Ethernet cable goes to the home theater room where there is another gigabit switch with the Sage machine and the BTV machine connected. Inside the Sage machine are three 500gig SATA drives to record on (formatted with 64K clusters). It also has an Intel Core 2 quad processor. From what I have observed it looks like Sage spreads out the recording between the drives so I am leaning toward a network issue.

There are two additional NICs in the Sage machine that are turned off as they were only connecting to my network at 10mbits. I suppose I could connect each HDHR to one of these NICs and get them connecting at 100mbit which might rule out the network, this is a big pain for such a test as the HDHRs are in the basement currently. If I did this, how would the HDHRs get an IP address?

Could this be a simple buffer size setting issue?

----------------
Now playing: Sky - Westway
via FoxyTunes
Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Sage Icon

Have you upgraded to Sage 6.4? There have been some changes recently with the HDHR drivers that have caused the HDHR to output a show at almost max bitrates. The older system would allow the HDHR to throttle back on the bit rate whenever it could.

So it is very likely that the 4 HDHRs are causing network bottlenecks. You can either upgrade to a gigabit switch and NIC for the server (perhaps $100 total), or only use three HDHRs until the throttling issue can be fixed.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Have you upgraded to Sage 6.4? There have been some changes recently with the HDHR drivers that have caused the HDHR to output a show at almost max bitrates. The older system would allow the HDHR to throttle back on the bit rate whenever it could.

So it is very likely that the 4 HDHRs are causing network bottlenecks. You can either upgrade to a gigabit switch and NIC for the server (perhaps $100 total), or only use three HDHRs until the throttling issue can be fixed.
I am running 6.4.8, I have gigabit switches. I read this is a problem on the HDHR forums with 6.4.8. SiliconDust wants Sage to start recording specific streams instead of the whole thing.

My plan for Friday is to put each HDHR on its own NIC on the machine. There are two spares that I can use for this and it ought to fix the problem. In the mean time, thank goodness for usenet where I can download HD versions of the shows that Sage is messing up.

----------------
Now playing: Sky - Skylark
via FoxyTunes
Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

As I replied to a post in the Silicon Dust forum http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5620 about not being able to record 3 or more shows in Sage with 2 HDHR, There seems to be a problem with 6.4.8 regarding PID filtering (I don't even know what that means).

There are a few of us having this issue that have our sage server and HDHRs on a gigabit switch, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. When the 3rd recording\watched show is started, the pic freezes up and all recordings are hosed. Jgourd can at least get the 4th started.

I don't want to solve this by throwing more hardware at it. I don't have any more slots to even add more cards anyway. I read on the SiliconDust forum that Jrockow downgraded Sage and it worked.
Quote:
n frustration I went back to 6.4.3 and it worked OK. (with firmware 20080723).
Obviously that's not the solution. I don't want to be left behind on newer versions.
If I find a solution in any of the other forums where this is posted, I will reply back.

System:
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4400+ 2.30GHz\2GB RAM\Vista HomeSP2\HDHomerun_firmware_20090802\nVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 8500 GT 512MB\Optical Out to reciever
Software:
SageTV:6.6.2.218|SageMC:6.3.9a pre-release 41|Metadata tools:3.1|Java: 1.6.0_13|sagemc.jar: 6.3.8|Phoenix.jar: 1.43
Old 10-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

I upgraded to a gigabit switch in preperation of adding another HDHR. When I had a 100 megabit switch I was at about 30-40 % throughput I figured if I added a second it would be 60-80% which is right at the max actual throuput I was achieving with that switch.