SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Sage User

Confused on what to do.

I have kind of a complex situation. Sorry in advance if it is confusing.

I have a SageTV Media Center server running with a 2 extenders feeding the TV's in the house. The server is in my bedroom and I use it to watch TV with a 22 inch LCD monitor.

Right now I feed it with an AGP ATI x800xl video card, but it is extremely loud.
I was looking at coolers available for the card that do not take any PCI slots up and the only ones I could find were in the $40-50 range. For that amount of money I can just buy a newer generation HD3x50 series card. Though would these be any quieter? I also have a 6600gt laying around but its even louder than the x800xl and 6600gt AGP coolers are very hard to find.

The other option I was considering was that I have a spare client license laying around. Do you think if I hooked up the 2nd monitor to my main rig in my sig that I could play casual games like WoW while watching TV? (I doubt id be watching tv while playing anything higher than WoW) I have an extra 8400gs laying around I could use if the 8600gt cant handle it.
Does Sage play nicely with dual monitor set ups?

I would really like to go with the client option as I've been wanting to turn the Sage Server into a headless WHS anyway. But not being able to watch TV while playing wow would be a deal breaker... (raiding bores me).

Sorry if this just seemed like rambling but I've been weighing my options for a while now and just cannot make up my mind on what to do.
1x MediaMvp - 27" Tube (roommate)
1x Client - 22" monitor (bedroom)

Last edited by jessecoffey; 10-02-2008 at 10:29 PM.