SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Sage Expert

Feature Request: Custom FFWD2 times for each favorite

I would like to be able to customize the ffwd2 time for each favorite. This would be great because I know the exact (within
1 ffwd button press) commercial length for some favorites. They are extreemly consistant.

Deadbolt
Old 02-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Sage Expert

This would be very cool... or even a way in setup to adjust it w/o having to shutdown sage, change the .profile and restart.

It would also be nice to have a faster way to flip through a show. Right now I have my FF1 at 10 seconds, and FF2 at 30 seconds. To get the the last portion of a show can take lots of key presses!

Ala Tivo I can ff 3x, 30x, or 60x, skip 30 seconds, and 15 minutes. We should at least have this much functionality....
Old 02-17-2004, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Deadbolt said:I would like to be able to customize the ffwd2 time for each favorite.
That would cool, after you got it all setup anyway. I hope the channel number setting for favotites makes it to the next beta first, though. We may need to wait til the Studio comes out before we see something like you suggest.
Quote:
White94Cobra said:It would also be nice to have a faster way to flip through a show.
If Jeff gets get the "ui/time_scroll_amount=" property setting to work in the next beta we'll have that. If mine worked my sage setup behave like this:
skip(FF1)=30 back(RW1)=10 seconds
FF(FF2)=2.5 minutes RW(RW2)=30 seconds
In "Time Scroll" mode: skip(FF1) and back(RW1)= 10 minutes jumps in both directions with each press.

All of this works right now except "Time Scroll" mode. The system is locked to 2.5 minute(the default in 1.4.10) jumps rather than obeying the setting in sage.properties file.

Last edited by justme; 02-17-2004 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

justme

How do you have this setup on a remote? Are you using a specific DVR remote like a tivo remote or something? I've been trying to decide what kind of remote to use... nothing to out there... had a Pronto Neo for a little while, but decided to sell it.

Anyone got a suggestion on a cheap remote with DVR keys that match up well.. or is a Tivo remote the best bet?

- Mike
Old 02-17-2004, 08:32 AM

I use my Tivo(switch2) alot. But I also have a MX500 and I like it as a nice all purpose remote. It's not perfect for Sage but when the Studio comes out I'm sure I can make some of the commands menu specific. This would fix my one small issue with the MX500. I'm already mainly using the MX500 for all my devices.
As for remotes in general there are many opinions(including a longer version of mine) in this thread. I just linked to the last page(for cheap see my post#84 about the 6131) but you should scan the entire thread for all the ideas.

Last edited by justme; 02-17-2004 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Sage Expert

I think the "time scroll" is just set at whatever your FF2 time is. When I use "time scroll" it skips 30 seconds.

justme -
What are you using as a receiver for your MX500? I am using one as well with a wireless Airboard. I have configured it to control Sage, myHTPC, BSPlayer, and Napster (plus 2 Tivos, AV receiver, 2 TVs, VCR, XBox, and DVD player).
Old 02-17-2004, 11:10 AM

Quote:
What are you using as a receiver for your MX500?
A USB-UIRT, I love it.

As for timescroll it is meant to work with your FF1 and RW1 commands. I have the "TimeScroll" command mapped to "Stop" on my remote. You enter "TimeScroll" mode and just the pointer skips* ahead or back to where ever you want just using the FF1 and RW1 keys/commands. When you leave "TimeScroll" mode by pressing the "Timescroll" key again, the video then jumps to the place where you moved the pointer. You can tell when you're in timescroll mode because the progress pointer turns red. It's a nice way to move very far without using a mouse.
Pressing the FF2/RW2 commands while in "TimeScroll" will cause the video to immediately jump whatever increment you've setup for FF2/RW2 in your properties file. If you let TimeScroll expire(it times out with the OSD) then the video will stay where it is currently playing. If however you exit TimeScroll by pressing the timescroll key/command the video will jump to where ever the red pointer is.

*In TimeScroll mode the "ui/time_scroll_amount=" property should override the normal FF1 and RW1 settings you've setup. It jumps the same amount in both directions. It's default(150,000) is 2.5 minutes. But it was changable in 1.4.10. It's a simple bug, I'm sure Jeff will fix it in the next beta.

Last edited by justme; 02-17-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Sage Expert

Ahhhh... that's my problem then. I too have TS mapped to the stop button. I was using FF2. I'll give FF1 a shot. Thanks.

BTW - does the USB-UIRT allow you to repeat commands by holding the button on the MX500 down? By learning the keys from the Airboard I can't hold a button down and have it repeat. Very annoying.

Last edited by White94Cobra; 02-17-2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:40 AM

Quote:
does the USB-UIRT allow you to repeat commands by holding the button on the MX500 down?
So far I just press the button again, very few things I do need a repeat sent to SageTV. I'm still fairly new to my MX500, the first one I ordered was mis-shipped. If you find a way to do this please let me know. I'm trying to avoid using Girder, if I can. I'm going to check and see if there is anyway that SageTV's own IR routines can be setup to understand a repeating code properly.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Sage Expert

Well I tried "Time Scroll" with FF1 and it only goes by 10 seconds (my FF1 setting). I looked in the properties file and it is set to 150000. With FF2 it only goes 30 seconds (my FF2 setting).
Old 02-17-2004, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Well I tried "Time Scroll" with FF1 and it only goes by 10 seconds (my FF1 setting).
That's weird, there a thread around here somewhere where several of us went thru all the different combinations/property settings that could effect "timescroll" mode. You seem to be seeing yet another behavior. Anyway it doesn't currently work the way it did in 1.4.10. Hopefully the next beta will fix Timescroll mode for all of us.

Ah, I found it here. The thread goes back and forth between timescroll and remote(specifically command mappings) discusion, but it has several examples of different setups with different people. It even has a quote from Dan(page2) on exactly how TimeScroll mode should work.

Last edited by justme; 02-17-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Sage Expert

Hmmm.... I wonder if it's something left over from my 1.4 install. I have ff1/ff2 and rw1/rw2 working and Time Scroll works, but it uses the values from the ff1/ff2.