SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

USB Tuners fail when add USB drive

Hi All,

I have a strange one...

When I add a USB drive to my WHS SageTV server two of my three USB Tuners stop working.

Has anyone reading this run into a similar issue before or got any ideas how to debug?

Thanks!
T
Old 10-30-2008, 07:17 AM
SageTVaholic

No I haven't seen that. I have a WHS server and have added a USB drive as a temporary method of moving files and installing new internal drives. I only have 1 USB tuner-HD-PVR and it didn't cause any issue with that. Try using a different USB port. Don't use a USB hub-pulg it in directly to the PC. The drive may be sucking up too much voltage.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Don't use a USB hub-pulg it in directly to the PC. The drive may be sucking up too much voltage.

Gerry
I'm not using a hub but maybe it is something to do with the power the drive draws. Maybe I'll try sticking a powered hub between the drive and the PC to see if that helps.

Thanks!
T
Old 10-30-2008, 12:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Most likely it is a USB power issue. Motherboard USB controllers can provide only a small amount of power to connected devices. USB tuners tend to have high power draw. You can power one or maybe two of them directly from your mobo, but not more than that. Use a powered USB 2.0 hub for multiple USB tuners.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Most likely it is a USB power issue. Motherboard USB controllers can provide only a small amount of power to connected devices. USB tuners tend to have high power draw. You can power one or maybe two of them directly from your mobo, but not more than that. Use a powered USB 2.0 hub for multiple USB tuners.
I'm managing to power 3 - so I guess I am lucky... And I guess thats why the USB drive screws it up...

Thanks again for the advice.

T