SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Sage

Update on V2.0.13 Release

Howdy all.

Things are going fabulous.

I wanted to give you all an update since I haven't put out a build in about 2 weeks. I probably won't get one out tomorrow, but definitely next week.

I'm making tremendous progress and didn't want to slow myself down by making a public build. I've closed nearly all of the non-UI related bugs so far. Pretty nifty.

There's some significant performance improvements, as well as some long-time requested usability enhancements.

And don't worry about it taking long for me to fix the UI bugs. They go REALLY fast because I use the Studio to fix all of them. I don't even need to restart the SageTV application to fix half the bugs; I can do it while it's running. I love my real-time development tool...it makes me want to.....
Old 02-19-2004, 07:10 PM

Big thanks for the update. I can't wait to try it. Don't be afraid to release it during the weekend, mondays a long time. I promise it will be well tested.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah thanks for the update Naflex! It is appreciated.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

I 2nd that.. well 3rd that ..

--Mike
Old 02-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Sage Expert

Horaj, something new to play with.

and did I hear studio mentioned
Old 02-19-2004, 09:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Re: Update on V2.0.13 Release

Quote:
Originally posted by Narflex
And don't worry about it taking long for me to fix the UI bugs. They go REALLY fast because I use the Studio to fix all of them. I don't even need to restart the SageTV application to fix half the bugs; I can do it while it's running. I love my real-time development tool...it makes me want to.....
Oh the humanity!!! Why do you have to keep torturing us like that?!!

Sounds great, looking forward to it.

Keep up the good work.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Sage Expert

Does this include the "end-of-file" bug? I only ask because I have to go away end of next week and am waiting to see if this is fixed...if not I have to disable the 350 so that my wife does not have to reboot 1-2 times per day...very low WAF factor.

If it will be in the next release, I won't work on a workaround.

Thanks,
Deadbolt
Old 02-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
Can't wait!

t
Old 02-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Did you fix that bug that makes SageTV not FF and REW like Tivo?

mikejaner
Old 02-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Sage Icon

what is it that people like so much about tivo's FF and REW? I find it way too slow, and to be honest, old fashioned. With television everything is in nice even time segments. Making me watch every bit is totally un-necesary(sp).

I like the FF/REW the way it is, but I know people have habits to break. So if it can be done, I'm sure it will be. Be patient...
Old 02-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
I don't know about other people that would like to see TiVo style ff/rew, but personally it isn't that I like it better. I like to use both in different situations. If I had to choose one, it would be the skip (we use the 30 second forward skip hack in TiVo much more than the ff).

t
Old 02-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Sage User

Please don't put it out before monday...
I'm away all weekend, and I don't want anybody getting ahead of me..
No seriously, I can barely wait....
Old 02-20-2004, 04:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

I haven't even used SageTV yet (Still waiting for my Hauppauge 350 card and the SageTV code) but I am excited about the new version too. It seems as if I am getting into SageTV at the right moment of time :-)
Old 02-20-2004, 05:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Me too....

Thanks for the update...now back to work.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:07 AM
Sage User

Do I note a hint of the release of Studio next week ?

Either way thanks for the update.

Stuart
Old 02-20-2004, 06:58 AM

I assume Jeff means he is using Studio to do the UI modification to Sage 2.0. Not that Studio will be in the next release.

Also, while a change to FF/RW may come at some point, it is not on the "bug" list but a feature request. I think he is probably focusing more on the bugs right now.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, Jeff! It looks like this next release will make into my production box to use the 250 and 350 simultaneously

Follower
Old 02-20-2004, 08:44 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
what is it that people like so much about tivo's FF and REW? I find it way too slow, and to be honest, old fashioned. With television everything is in nice even time segments. Making me watch every bit is totally un-necesary(sp).

I like the FF/REW the way it is, but I know people have habits to break. So if it can be done, I'm sure it will be. Be patient...

It's not slow if you click three times, and the key is you don't have to press a button while fast forwarding until you see your show. My wife finds the current FF REW style annoying because of two things. First the sound plays while skipping through commercials etc..... Second, she doesn't like seeing a frozen interlaced picture while it is trying to get the sound and video in sync, right after you click on the skip buttons. I am not saying to take away the skip buttons. I especially like FF2 and REW2, but maybe make it an option for FF and REW to be skips or "smooths".
It seems this is a half and half situation, where half of the customers want one thing and the other half want the other. I happen to be one of the half that's trying to get everything I had in my Tivo and more. Some of you guys don't have a Tivo, so aren't used to the minor things Tivo did to impress us back in the day.
I'm sure Jeff can impliment it as an option in the settings, and I hope he will.

mikejaner
Old 02-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Sage Expert

It would be nice to keep everything as is with the addition of smooth ff/rw (maybe variable 3x, 30x, 60x, and 100x). With the ability to assign/map keys, if you want to use skip, assign those keys to something, if you want smooth ff/rw assign those.
I have found that 30 second skip rarely works for me. I almost always have to do some small adjustments and end up watching 5-10 seconds of commercials or jump too far in and see part of the show. With Tivo's FF/RW, I use the fastest setting and can zip through commercials in less than 4 seconds and when I press PLAY it is usually within 2 seconds of the start of the show.

I'd personally would like it to work something like this (YMMV):

Smooth FF/RW on my ff/rw buttons, small skip using left/right navigation keys, and large skip using my next chapter keys (I'm using an MX500). Of course you could assign it to whatever you like. Having the navigation keys not able do anything while watching a show is a waste I think.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

I like those ideas White94Cobra. I too am a Tivo owner and my wife and I really miss the smooth FFW/REW feature. You could zip through an entire show while viewing it in 30X (or whatever it is) speed and then pause it on a particular scene if you wanted to. Or football and basketball games it was great to just FFW and not touch the button until the timeouts or whatever were through and then just press play and resume watching the game.