SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Sage User

Serial Control of DirecTV Receiver

I am trying out the SageTV program to decide if I want to purchase it to replace a custom program I had been using.

The setup seemed to be pretty simple, but I have found the program is not changing channels on my DirecTV receiver (RCA DSS). I know the cable works because the program I was using is able to change the channel over it.

On this receiver the code to change the channel is:

250 70

followed by the channel number coded as two bytes.

The communications parameters are: 9600,N,8,1

Can anyone tell me if this is compatible with how SageTV changes the channel through the serial interface by default or if I need to write some sort of custom channel changer to interface with SageTV?

Thanks,
Darrell
Old 03-30-2004, 12:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to debennett2
Don't buy it. It will not work.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Sage User

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've found is that you can control Sage via a serial connection. V2 is suppossed to support this natively, and I believe there's a plugin for versions below v2. From the people I've confirmed this with, they've made their own serial cables to work with it. I'm going to try to use the serial cable from snapstream to see if this works. I've been told this device works. I have a RCA DRD420RE receiver I hope to control via the serial port. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

yanksno1,
I have the EXACT same receiver and also use Snapstream. The cable will work with snapstream but I cannot get it to work in sage and I've owned Sage for quite some time now (almost a year now). Native support in v2 is a hoax. In fact, try getting details on what receivers it DOES support and does not...or any support for that matter.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

yanksno1, SageTV v1.4 and 2.0 CAN control a DirecTV receiver via serial cable. I have two RCA 435 receivers that it's controlling every day flawlessly. Others have also had success with their DirecTV receivers. Others have had some problems getting Sage to control their units. It's not perfect, and not all models of receivers or cable boxes seem to work. I haven't seen any matrix where it's spelled out (what make/model is or isn't has been tested). That's probably why it's a good idea to download and try the product before buying it.

For one of the SageTV units, I use the serial cable I bought from the SnapStream website. The other unit is controlled by a serial cable I created using parts. Previous to 1.4, I think you needed to run Girder or some other program to run before Sage work work with it. But not under 1.4 or 2.0.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

padre, thanks for your input into the discussion. The problem is that there are some folks having problems with the same receivers that others are not. This doesn't end up boiling down to working with one model and not another, but boils down to not properly implementing the serial control in the first place. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

There is indeed built in support for some STBs (cable and satellite). SageTV can also control anything that can respond to a command line. If you want it to work, you can make it work.

I would caution you not to follow the counsel of those who would have you make the mistake of judging a PVR based on the ease with which you can setup control of your STB. There are many, many, much, much more important things to think about as you make your decision.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by debennett2
padre, thanks for your input into the discussion. The problem is that there are some folks having problems with the same receivers that others are not. This doesn't end up boiling down to working with one model and not another, but boils down to not properly implementing the serial control in the first place. Just my 2 cents.
How do we/you know that it (Sage's 'proper implemention')? How do we know it's not some incompatibility in your windows drivers, operating system or setup? We don't. Could it be other competing applications existing on your machine? Have you tried it with a completely clean machine?

Last edited by padre; 04-01-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:28 PM

Re: serial control for DirecTV

I recently purchased Sage TV for my HTPC and I have configured & assembled a serial cable to control my STB..an RCA DRD480RE.

My serial cable is comprised of two elements:
1) DB9(F) to RJ12 modular adapter for connecting to DB9(M) serial port on computer.
2)Flat 4-wire telephone cable (7.5 feet) with RJ12 plug (for modular adapter jack) and RJ22 plug (for "low data" port on RCA DirecTV receivers).

Note:This serial cable also works on my RCA DRD420RE STB...so I assume this is compatible with all STBs that have a "low data" port using an RJ22 jack. You can check this with a corded telephone. RJ12 jacks are on the cord between the phone & the wall...RJ22 jacks are on the handset (smaller).

After reviewing the prices of similar products on other sites (many of which are out of stock), I've decided to stock the components to build more cables, on demand, for a substantially lower price.

I'm am offering each of these cables for $12.90/shipped USPS PRIORITY (with delivery confirmation) to the first 29 people that are interested...I bought materials for 30 cables... I'm keeping one.
I've decided to accept PayPal ONLY (credit card OK) for payment. That's the best way for me to keep tabs on multiple transactions while at home or at work.

Since $3.90 goes to shipping...well, do the math. My price is pretty good...and I ship FAST!

The RJ22 connector on the telephone line is professionally crimped with a Paladin CrimpALL 8000 to ensure a secure and durable connection.

I realize this is my first post in this forum...that's because I just bought SageTV and a PVR250-MCE last week. I have 100% positive feedback on eBay (rick606) and about 150 positive (no negative) evaluations here for my transactions on other forums.

Please shoot me an e-mail (address below) if you have questions or you would like to purchase one of my cables.
This initial offering is for US shipping addresses only. Feel free to contact me regarding shipping to other locations outside the US, or if custom cable lengths are needed.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-08-2004, 11:46 PM
SageTVaholic

not selling any thing here but It works awesome with my Sony SAT-B3 with just a standard serial cable
OH YEAH!!!!!!!