SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-21-2004, 01:17 AM
Sage User

Navigation in V2?

I have been enjoying Sage 1.4 for several months now. Decided to try V 2 beta tonight.

I may be dumb as a post, but I seem to be completely unable to navigate in V 2. Once I go to full screen, I can right-click my mouse to bring up a program description and a slider bar on the bottom. But that seems to be all I can do. How do I get back to the main menu? Change channels? Access play/ff/rw etc? Can anyone point me to some basic directions? The pdf in the Frey directory is for V 1.4, is there a new one for V 2? Help please...thanks!
Old 02-21-2004, 02:13 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
The beta release notes stated that the v2 documentation hasn't been released yet and that they are still working on a mouse driven skin. The current v2 beta interface is really geared toward remote/keyboard control. See this thread for a list of the default keyboard navigation commands.

t

EDIT: URL fixed!

Last edited by ErsatzTom; 02-21-2004 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

ErsatzTom, I believe your link is incorrect. You seem to have cut off the last digit of the thread id in the URL. Fortunately, it was easy to find:

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&threadid=3028

[i.e. your link had a thread id 302]
Old 02-21-2004, 02:30 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
Woops! Thanks for catching that. I usually check them but I got lazy! Fixed now.

t
Old 02-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Sage User

Ick ick ick. Keyboard commands. First, I do thank you for the response and the pointer to the commands. Please, no one take the following personally -

I would not have installed this beta if I knew that this major part of the interface (mouse commands) was missing. Good thing I didn't install the client for my wife! I have been using PCs for twenty years and I know I have no right to bitch & moan about free beta software. But my experience has been that public betas are pretty near feature complete.

I tried to re-install SageTV 1.4, but could not get it to start - I get a Java error instead (java.lang.nullpointer exception). I tried uninstalling and doing a fresh install, no go. So I reinstalled V2 beta, and can get it to function with the keyboard, which I am attaching to my monitor for the time being.

It reminds me of the old saw re: computers - that everyone would use one when they were as easy to use as TVs. Well, with this beta, now the TV is as hard to use as a computer!

One command I don't see in the list - how do you put V2 to "sleep" so that it can still act as a server for a Sage client on another PC?
Old 02-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Sage User

Ah, I see, "sleep" is Ctrl-Z.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by VinceInSeattle
Ick ick ick. Keyboard commands. First, I do thank you for the response and the pointer to the commands.
I know how you feel, that's why I use a remote, nothing takes away from the STB experience like having to use the keyboard/mouse

Quote:
I tried to re-install SageTV 1.4, but could not get it to start - I get a Java error instead (java.lang.nullpointer exception). I tried uninstalling and doing a fresh install, no go. So I reinstalled V2 beta, and can get it to function with the keyboard, which I am attaching to my monitor for the time being.
You probably just need to delete your wiz.* files since they are not backward compatible.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by VinceInSeattle
I would not have installed this beta if I knew that this major part of the interface (mouse commands) was missing.
Unfortunately, I believe the comment in the release notes regarding the current lack of complete mouse support (as opposed to complete lack of mouse support: there is a difference) was only in the notes sent in the email for the original 2.0.10 beta release. The release notes on the beta download page only cover versions 11 & 12, so people who jump into the beta in later versions don't get to see all the notes. I believe I've asked that the original notes be added to that file for the benefit of newer beta users... but perhaps I'll submit that suggestion again.

Regarding keyboard vs. mouse control... At first, I hated using the keyboard on my client, since it has no remote, but that I've learned most of the key commands, I seem to accomplish a lot of things faster. BUT, I'm still looking forward to the Return of the Rodent -- coming soon to a SageTV system near you!

- Andy