SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-23-2004, 11:03 AM

Replicate recorded shows overseas

I'm going to be stationed overseas for a while where I can't get access to american TV, but, obviously, I'd like to stay current with many of my shows.

I have a location with broadband and cable access that is willing to let me host my server here in the US. I read a few threads on how IMPOSSIBLE it is to replicate from server to server, but its what I kidna need to to do. I've been using mythtv, but I'd prefer something more commerical than myth.

What size are the files? Can anyone provide enough info on how I could write scripts to, say, on a daily basis, copy new files and recorded show info to another server?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Old 02-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Sage Icon

I would setup a FTP site in the US and use a simple FTP app or command line script to transfer to the other server. Of course this would only be the recorded show. Getting the info is another story. You could copy the wiz.bin from the US system to your overseas PC and have all the info available. The problem would then be that the US system does not have Watched and Deleted flags. You could setup the US PC to only keep the files for 2 days(or whatever) but thats not going to set the watched flag. This means that show will be recorded again when its on. You could use VNC to connect and set watched flags on the US pc though.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:46 AM
SageTVaholic

File sizes run about 2-4Gb/hr for high quality recordings, the lowest included setting is .75Gb/hr I believe. Standard broadband (256kbps upload) just won't be practical for this.

I hate to steer you away from a great product like SageTV, but it's just not designed for that. I'm not to current with myth, but that may actually be your best bet. I know linux is easier to maintain long distance than windows. Also
Old 02-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Sage Icon

Its is possible if he wants to wait a day for 2 or 3 shows to download. The downside is that broadband over there may have download limits. You may have to pay extra for all those gigs. If quality is not a concern, using that other product that starts with an s allows you to convert to windows media or divx for MUCH smaller files . You can even stream WM. The downside is the quality is no where near the average sage recording.