SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Setting up another PC

I currently run sage on an XP machine in one room, have an HD100 hardwired to the living room. I am setting up a HDTV and PC in the basement. Can I somehow bridge the connection at the HD100, and run a CAT5e/6 cable to the basement, buy a placeshifter license and watch HDTV from the HD-PVR I just ordered?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

You could put a gigabit switch in the living room and connect your basement drop and the HD-100 to it. You will probably want the full client license on your basement if you want to watch the H264 recordings from a HD-PVR on it.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apap View Post
You could put a gigabit switch in the living room and connect your basement drop and the HD-100 to it. You will probably want the full client license on your basement if you want to watch the H264 recordings from a HD-PVR on it.
Thank you, with a "switch" can I use both the HD100 and the PC client at the same time? Or do I have to "switch" back and forth?
Old 11-27-2008, 06:41 PM
SageTVaholic

All at the same time. How do you have the server connected to the internet? Do you have a router? Router's usually have built in switches (sometimes hubs). If not, you can put a switch in between your internet connection and server and connect everything to that.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
All at the same time. How do you have the server connected to the internet? Do you have a router? Router's usually have built in switches (sometimes hubs). If not, you can put a switch in between your internet connection and server and connect everything to that.
My router is in one room...but the HD100 is much closer to the other room, so I rather split off of that..its a shorter run.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGk View Post
Thank you, with a "switch" can I use both the HD100 and the PC client at the same time? Or do I have to "switch" back and forth?
No switching back and forth required. It does all that for you.

I'm talking about something like this.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apap View Post
No switching back and forth required. It does all that for you.
I'm talking about something like this.
Just to be clear, I would be able to use both the HD100 and my Client PC at the same time with a switch, correct?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes it should.

I had some issues running ethernet wires to some parts of my house that using a switch solved nicely. 2 separate rooms each have a single ethernet cable running back to my main 8 port gigabit switch which is connected to my router. Each of these rooms have their own 5 port gigabit switch with a computer and an MVP on each of them. I have not experienced any bandwidth issues while running everything at once.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:43 PM
SageTVaholic

While I agree that a gigabit switch makes sense you should have no trouble with a 10/100 switch as well as long as you only have 2 devices connected. Even a full HD stream is only 20 Mbps so 2x20=40 so you still have lots of headroom with 100 Mbps capability. If you have a spare router around you could probably use that as most routers are also 4 port switches - just remember to disable DHCP on the router.