SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Sage User

Shuttering and display shift...

What a project! I am so close but have 2 show stoppers.

I have a newly built system - Intel QuadCore 2.67Ghz, 3GB RAM, XP Pro, Hauppauge HD-PVR (1.1 drivers), ATI Radeon HD 4800, Streamzap remote, SageTV 6.4, using DirecTV - only running SageTV

Problem 1: Shuttering when changing stations

When SageTV starts up - absolutely beautiful - looks great. I change a channel, it does but that station shutters - audio seems fine, no shuttering - after a few minutes of video shuttering, I restart Sage and it is beautiful again! I tried the "new" HDPVR 1.053 drivers and that didn't fix the problem so I went back to 1.1. I also tried different MPEG2 decoders in the SageTV setup and they all had the same effect.

Problem 2: some channels shift on the screen loosing some of the picture

Very strange, and it looks like it only happens on some HD channels - for example, I switch to TBS HD - at first, it looks great on the screen - then after about 30 seconds or so, it looks like it is auto zooming and I am only seeing the top half of the show - the bottom (and the TBS logo) are off screen. I have my display set to 720p and I checked settings like aspect ratio (source) and fill screen is off. Like I said, it initially looks fine and this changes after some time... I restart Sage and it starts out again OK then zooms. Maybe it is in the ATI software???

I was hoping some of you out there have experienced one or both of these issues and can point me in the right direction to troubleshoot.

Thanks again!
Old 11-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Sage Expert

is this live tv problem only, or does it happen when you are viewing recorded shows?
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 11-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Sage User

It is Live - I have more clues to this.

It appears that the problem happens when I switch from HD->Standard stations or visa-versa. For example, when I am watching comedy central (Standard) and switch to another Standard def channel, no shutter. The instant I switch to a HD channel - major shutter and continues until I restart Sage (and channel I change after that shutters too).

Another thing that works is when I change the channel and get the shutter, I click the Stop button on my remote (it brings up the program guide with a multimedia icon in the view window) - I then hit play and the shutter is completely gone - looks and sounds great!

One other clue - the 2 issues may be interrelated because the high def stations in 16:9 (source) have bars on the left and right screen for most programs - maybe something is tring to fill the screen for these stations and causing the problem? I don't have fill screen set anywhere I can find and can't figure out what is trying to change the DirecTV video... When I first go to that channel, the bars are there. After some time, the screen adjusts..

I am looking at the DirecTV receiver settings to see if something is going on there.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileydogmi View Post
It is Live - I have more clues to this.

It appears that the problem happens when I switch from HD->Standard stations or visa-versa. For example, when I am watching comedy central (Standard) and switch to another Standard def channel, no shutter. The instant I switch to a HD channel - major shutter and continues until I restart Sage (and channel I change after that shutters too).

Another thing that works is when I change the channel and get the shutter, I click the Stop button on my remote (it brings up the program guide with a multimedia icon in the view window) - I then hit play and the shutter is completely gone - looks and sounds great!

One other clue - the 2 issues may be interrelated because the high def stations in 16:9 (source) have bars on the left and right screen for most programs - maybe something is tring to fill the screen for these stations and causing the problem? I don't have fill screen set anywhere I can find and can't figure out what is trying to change the DirecTV video... When I first go to that channel, the bars are there. After some time, the screen adjusts..

I am looking at the DirecTV receiver settings to see if something is going on there.
This is a known issue. IF you are using variable output from your STB, you need to change the recording delay. What you are seeing is issues with the HDPVR when it has to go from recording one resolution to another....I can't remember the setting, but do a search and you should find it....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter