SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Here's just a quick thought for you.

The HD-PVR can be had for about $200. Let's assume you only get 2yrs out of it. That comes out to $8.33/month, or about the cost to rent an additional cable box. If it last longer (which I think is very likely) then the numbers improve even more.

Aloha,
Mike
The TCO is an issue for the wife:
2 - HD200s ($400)
Sage Client ($70)
2 HD-PVRs ($450)

So rounding up its almost $1000 for me to switch...
Old 12-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

I wish SageTV would shoot for copying the Windows Vista MC interface in SageTV 7.0. Look at this forum and the TGB forum and you can see that the only thing holding SageTV back is the UI. Even SageMC is primitive in comparrison. You have a blue-print in front of you for a great platform. Here's hoping you follow it!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwr View Post
I wish SageTV would shoot for copying the Windows Vista MC interface in SageTV 7.0. Look at this forum and the TGB forum and you can see that the only thing holding SageTV back is the UI. Even SageMC is primitive in comparrison. You have a blue-print in front of you for a great platform. Here's hoping you follow it!
While the Vista MC interface is shiney and pretty, I found it unintuitive to navigate. The Wife was not impressed either and that's what really matters.
Sage is so customizable that it can fit most anyone's needs or tastes.

Why copy Windows when Sage can do so much more?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apap View Post
While the Vista MC interface is shiney and pretty, I found it unintuitive to navigate. The Wife was not impressed either and that's what really matters.
Sage is so customizable that it can fit most anyone's needs or tastes.

Why copy Windows when Sage can do so much more?
While the backend of Sage is indeed more powerful (or at the very least user customizable), my family loves the UI and the clean look of Vista MC.

The Default Sage UI is unchanged and while the addons make it useable, I do find it one of the few issues I have with the product. Sage shouldn't need to be modded so much to be pleasing on the eye.

Trust me, I am one of those who would use the mini-guide addon, and SageMC etc etc... but it will take me time to learn how to do that (unless someone has written a good step-by-step for a noob like myself).

I just wish I could install Sage with SageMC already configured etc etc.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Sage User

Futhermore the spouses and babysitter need shiney and pretty.

My sitter knows to hit one button on the Harmony to do each thing (Tv, DVD etc).
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenpc View Post
While the backend of Sage is indeed more powerful (or at the very least user customizable), my family loves the UI and the clean look of Vista MC.

The Default Sage UI is unchanged and while the addons make it useable, I do find it one of the few issues I have with the product. Sage shouldn't need to be modded so much to be pleasing on the eye.

Trust me, I am one of those who would use the mini-guide addon, and SageMC etc etc... but it will take me time to learn how to do that (unless someone has written a good step-by-step for a noob like myself).

I just wish I could install Sage with SageMC already configured etc etc.
Brent Evans of GeekTonic has the Ultimate Guide for Sagetv complete with tutorials and even some videos to help get you started.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenpc View Post
I worry about the loophole.. I really do.

I don't want to pay for stuff to only be able to use it 2 years or so... wanna talk about low WAF?

Not sure what to do at this point.
Do what I did.... R5000HD w/ Dish Network. If you can get OTA HD you can do it even cheaper. One R5000, one HDHR, and a cheap HD-Only package from dish (don't forget Cinemax for a penny per year if it's still available).

No DRM, No analog loophole to be afraid of closing, no re-encoding.
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 12-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

I switched to Sage for 1 simple reason, DRM.. I used VMC since RC, myself and the "better half" both perfer the look and feel of Media Center over Sage.. With SageMC I am able to make Sage look and kinda feel like WMC, but that takes hrs of tinkering and playing with the interface..

Sage is simply not "polished" enough for mainstream.. Is it better? Well, I answer that question by using Sage..

The TV Pack and now this with the DirecTV delay.. not a good showing for Media Center..
Old 12-11-2008, 02:16 AM
Sage User

I think that Frey (and all) just need to bite the bullet and hire Dirk & Mike (the creators of SageMC) as developers! Face it... the standard GUI is very plain and, dare I say, out of date with other menu systems. SageMC what is putting SageTV on the map. Don't get me wrong.... the default shell is 'precise', clean and designed so that even George W. Bu..... err, I mean, um... a complete idiot could get around in.

It's just a little too antiseptic. No pretty pictures... or anything that "visually" sets it apart from other programs. SageMC changes all that! Having SageMC become an 'official' part of SageTV would convert a lot people.

-Chris
Old 12-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Sage Icon

That GB thread was a good read, the mod jumped in, LOL. A factory added/supported SageMC *option* would be great...but there are a lot of us that love and use the stock STV cuz it just gets the job done (with neilm's DCMM).

P
Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
Do what I did.... R5000HD w/ Dish Network. If you can get OTA HD you can do it even cheaper. One R5000, one HDHR, and a cheap HD-Only package from dish (don't forget Cinemax for a penny per year if it's still available).
Problem with that is, an R5000HD is more than an HDPVR, and it's lifespan is likely less, since it doesn't support any of the new receivers coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos~Theory View Post
I think that Frey (and all) just need to bite the bullet and hire Dirk & Mike (the creators of SageMC) as developers!
Not that it affects anything but SageMC was originally created by mlbdude, long, long ago, back in Sage V4. That said, I think Dirk and Mike have pretty much rewritten the whole thing

Quote:
It's just a little too antiseptic. No pretty pictures... or anything that "visually" sets it apart from other programs. SageMC changes all that! Having SageMC become an 'official' part of SageTV would convert a lot people.
I don't know, for some reason I don't get all worked up over a "shiny" UI. Half the time I see these fancy UIs, like Aeon, and think, man that would be a pain, they sacrificed function for form. Heck, I still think the Kaleidesape UI looks like it would be great to use:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...04-part-3.html

...and Sage has nothing on K-scape in the "plain" department.

And frankly, I don't really like SageMC. Heresay I know, and I've got nothing but respect for the creators, but it just doesn't seem as "usable" as the stock STV. Maybe I just got used to the stock UI.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:50 AM

Same here I don't really like SageMC not UI Skin part just the way things are lay out I perf the stock sagetv lay out
Old 12-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

• Stock sage UI for me. The in-laws can navigate it just fine.
  • I have 2 R-5000 modded dish VIP 211s. I justified the cost by comparing it to a multi-tuner occur pc. The HD-PVR wasn't an option at the time, but I'm not big on analog re-encode. Dish HD looks beautiful now that SageTV has support for EVR on Vista.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Sage User

I think my problem with the stock SageUI... is... how do I put it....

.. it just doesn't go with the quality/caliber of product that they produce.

You shouldn't have to tweak and mod something just to get it to have WAF.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Sage Icon

The only issue I have with the stock UI is when you have a background, with a popup menu in front, with another popup menu in front of that - they all seem to merge making it just a bit difficult to decipher.

I do like how easy it is to customize the SageMC main menu to include things like playback of Blu-ray w external program.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 12-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Sage Expert

If it wasn't for the silly icons to the left of the recorded tv menus, I'd probably use the stock STV. But because of those, I just can't. Using the left key on the remote always lands me at those icons instead of taking me back to the main menu. I really wish those would go away.

I like the customizability of SageMC. But most of what it offers is overkill for me. So I end up removing a bunch of stuff.

Still, I cannot give up Sage. I had a Comcast DVR for, I swear, ONE DAY and sent it back. The interface was horrible. And Sage has NEVER missed a show.

So do I wish it was slicker? Yes. But I still am not going anywhere.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm tired of hearing VMC users complain about SageTV as if it's "light years behind." These people are in denial big time. And the UI differences they talk about are easily overcome in SageMC.
Brent, I think that too many people get caught up into the "eye candy" effect. I'd be the first to agree that SageTV could use a facelift, but I didn't come to SageTV for the eye candy I've even recently turned off the animations in the core sage, just so that the system can feel a little more responsive.

Also, I think that comparing SageTV to VMC, may be a bit unfair. SageTV is a PVR with some Media Center functions, but certainly, being a Media Center is not it's core function (if it were, then we'd see a richer Media Center app). I see VMC has being the opposite. It's a Media Center with PVR functions. So, in a way, it's like comparing a Still Camera that takes video to a Video Camera that takes still pictures. Depending on what you are looking to get out it, your perspective will change.

As for DirectTV and SageTV integration. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but I think that the end result would not be what people envision. DirectTV won't allow SageTV to record it's stream unless the control of that stream remains in DirectTV's control. ie, DRM protected, and DirectTV decided if you can record it, copy it, watch, etc, not SageTV. I think that the reason DirectTV was willing to work with MS, is mainly because MS would allow DirectTV to have kind of control, which is evident in thier implementation of the broadcast flag.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post

As for DirectTV and SageTV integration. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but I think that the end result would not be what people envision. DirectTV won't allow SageTV to record it's stream unless the control of that stream remains in DirectTV's control. ie, DRM protected, and DirectTV decided if you can record it, copy it, watch, etc, not SageTV. I think that the reason DirectTV was willing to work with MS, is mainly because MS would allow DirectTV to have kind of control, which is evident in thier implementation of the broadcast flag.
I can't agree more... and I think there in lies the crux of the issue... I think the cablecard setup at its core is a failed product. The number of issues (with people whom I know are in the top tier of technical knowledge) just astound me.

I think the cable card setup just isn't stable enough unless you don't do anything else on your computer... EVER.

Granted I do have a media center computer that does nothing but media "stuff" but I do have blu-ray software on it as well so I guess I would be adding to issues... although I am getting a stand alone Blu-ray player as I can't stand judder that is imposed with some 24p films.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

How hard would it be to add support for animated backgrounds, animated buttons, and a intuitive, core menuing system (instead of the layers upon layers that make up customizations now). Then, someone could create a Vista MC skin for those of us that like shiny. By saying Vista MC provides a blueprint, I mean by way of showing what a slick, shiny, great, usable, whaterver you want to call it, user interface should be capable of.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
How hard would it be to add support for animated backgrounds, animated buttons, and a intuitive, core menuing system (instead of the layers upon layers that make up customizations now). Then, someone could create a Vista MC skin for those of us that like shiny. By saying Vista MC provides a blueprint, I mean by way of showing what a slick, shiny, great, usable, whaterver you want to call it, user interface should be capable of.
I don't see why you can't have the best of both worlds. The fact that SageTV supports customizations is the ONLY reason why I use it. If it were simply a VMC clone, then I would have never shelled out the cash for the product or the extenders. Sage can be "shiny", but SageTV would have to invest in that area. With so many features that people want, maybe "shiny" isn't making it to the top of the list.