SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwr View Post
How hard would it be to add support for animated backgrounds
Believe it or not, there already is support for animated backgrounds in the SageTV core. It's just that they haven't implemented it in the standard UI and no developers have implemented it in their custom UIs.

Quote:
animated buttons
Not sure on this one.
Quote:
and a intuitive, core menuing system (instead of the layers upon layers that make up customizations now).
You tell me how it should work in your opinion (have to get specific), and I'll bet you it could be done with the customization available today.

I'm with you. It's pretty close to being able to do everything you are asking for - just needs some developer TLC and someone with the desire to do so.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Sage Icon

...and never the two shall meet. This is turning into another UI thread.

SO, WINDOWS 7 HAS NO DIRECTV SUPPORT...BUMMER FOR VMC USERS...

P
Old 12-12-2008, 07:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Back on track.

So I'm wondering if it was a disagreement on how to implement DRM on the device and in VMC. Seems Microsoft has said on occassion that they aren't the ones pushing DRM, the studios are. It's not that the device didn't work. And I would bet both sides would have liked to recoup their develoment costs. Strange to get this far and just throw it out the window.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Believe it or not, there already is support for animated backgrounds in the SageTV core. It's just that they haven't implemented it in the standard UI and no developers have implemented it in their custom UIs.
I'm curious: Are you referring to something I've forgotten? Do you mean just programming a loop to sequentially load & display a different bg image? I'm asking because the last time you mentioned animated backgrounds working, it was an optical illusion and the image was actually static. Edit: I think I found what you are referring to & that's a loop to load new images or change the image location.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I'm curious: Are you referring to something I've forgotten? Do you mean just programming a loop to sequentially load & display a different bg image? I'm asking because the last time you mentioned animated backgrounds working, it was an optical illusion and the image was actually static. Edit: I think I found what you are referring to & that's a loop to load new images or change the image location.

- Andy
Yep - I'm over my vertigo and was referring to the "background loop with multiple images" (I think thats how it worked) that Jeff did for a demo.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Sage Icon

...and I love how they used missing the TV Pack as an excuse, when Ed Bott said that the TV Pack was mainly a release for non- US countries (even though there was no H.264 support...which Europe uses, so there is FUD all around).

P
Old 12-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post

- Andy
Andy, if we start animating backgrounds, can we use this? http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_adaptSpiral/index.html

/threadjack
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Sage Expert

Do not adjust your television....

Some of you may be too young to remember that one.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post
Do not adjust your television....

Some of you may be too young to remember that one.
I remember:
"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission."

Old 12-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Sage User

I'll take Outer Limits for $500 please
Old 12-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos~Theory View Post
I think that Frey (and all) just need to bite the bullet and hire Dirk & Mike (the creators of SageMC) as developers! Face it... the standard GUI is very plain and, dare I say, out of date with other menu systems. SageMC what is putting SageTV on the map. Don't get me wrong.... the default shell is 'precise', clean and designed so that even George W. Bu..... err, I mean, um... a complete idiot could get around in.

It's just a little too antiseptic. No pretty pictures... or anything that "visually" sets it apart from other programs. SageMC changes all that! Having SageMC become an 'official' part of SageTV would convert a lot people.

-Chris
Hey, if you like SageMC, it's there for your enjoyment. Some of us complete idiots prefer the default GUI.

Personally, I'm a function before form guy and like the simplicity of the default GUI. Others are distracted by shiny things.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Hey, if you like SageMC, it's there for your enjoyment. Some of us complete idiots prefer the default GUI.

Personally, I'm a function before form guy and like the simplicity of the default GUI. Others are distracted by shiny things.
I find SageMC quite functional actually. More functional than the default STV matter of fact. Except that.... wait, what's that silver, shiny thing..... nm
Old 12-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post

I've used the stock stv for years too. I just added the imdb lookup stvi recently.

While SageMC does look nice, it's Sage's functionality and flexibility that sells it not 1 shiny option as some would try to imply.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Problem with that is, an R5000HD is more than an HDPVR, and it's lifespan is likely less, since it doesn't support any of the new receivers coming out.
I'll agree with the cost, but I think both of their lifespans are far enough out for it to not be an issue. Dish is still converting from MPEG2 to 4, so the MPEG4 receivers will be operational for quite a long time. The only real problem I see is scarcity - it'll get hard to get a working receiver that can be upgraded since the 211K doesn't work with it.
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
The only real problem I see is scarcity - it'll get hard to get a working receiver that can be upgraded since the 211K doesn't work with it.
That's basically my point. DirecTV has made R5000 compatible boxes worthless. Cable seems to be very hit or miss, and probably accelerating that way as they switch to SDV. And then there's dish, where you've got to go to the used market to find boxes now.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Sage User

I guess the ONLY option with those of us who are unwilling to go to cable or unable to, is to get HD-PVRs and pray that the content providers don't get the analog hole plugged any time soon.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenpc View Post
I guess the ONLY option with those of us who are unwilling to go to cable or unable to...
You mean unwilling to buy a new CableCard equiped OEM Vista Media Center machine with DRM bugs and be stuck with VMC as the only PVR option, and be limited to a pathetic selection of HD channels, and exorbidant cable rates, and no PC clients and functionally limited extenders?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I guess the ONLY option with those of us who are unwilling to go to cable or unable to, is to get HD-PVRs and pray that the content providers don't get the analog hole plugged any time soon.
I don't understand whay you are saying unless you mean "cable card" rather than cable - you imply that the HD-PVR isn't a solution for those with cable. I am more than happy to use an HD-PVR with my cable provider - note that here in Canada you cannot get a CableCard from your Cable Co.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
There are already solutions for that, if you have enough fury to do a little searching.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
There are already solutions for that, if you have enough fury to do a little searching.
That comment made me Furious. Not just normal Furious, HD Fury(ious)