SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:23 PM
SageTVaholic

But doesn't that product just convert HDMI to VGA (RGB). Wouldn't you then have to convert VGA to component to use with the HD-PVR?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:13 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
HD Fury2 which is out now does Component, and RGB
Old 12-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Sage Expert

I see that becoming a hot item if they ever do shut off the analog outputs. At $200USD, I won't be buying one until I have to.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake550 View Post
I see that becoming a hot item if they ever do shut off the analog outputs. At $200USD, I won't be buying one until I have to.
Same here. If/when this happens, I'll just keep moving to the provider that offers boxes that have component output until there are no further options. Then I'll go with the HDFury-type solution at that point.

For now and probably for the next many years I think we'll be fine. The outcry from HDTV owners across the US that don't have HDMI connections would be pretty loud I think and imo it will be a long time before this happens.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Another thing to keep in mind is that component connections are not just used with legacy equipment. I believe that a great majority of custom installations use component instead of HDMI. This is due to connection reliablility and long cable runs.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 12-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

And frankly, I don't really like SageMC. Heresay I know, and I've got nothing but respect for the creators, but it just doesn't seem as "usable" as the stock STV. Maybe I just got used to the stock UI.
I have to agree with this; although I have a custom (Sage Pro) theme on top of the default stv (with Malore enhancements enabled).

SageMC has too many layers of navigation, and not enough content on the screen. One click off the main menu with the default gets me to a page where all the tv is ordered by title/date/or category; where there are separate aggregation screens b/w me and the content in SageMC. If what I'm looking for isn't in that first TV page, I need to do more navigating to get to the place where I can find it.

I say this as a former MCE & VMC user (almost 5 years when I made the switch).
Old 12-16-2008, 01:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
SageMC has too many layers of navigation, and not enough content on the screen. One click off the main menu with the default gets me to a page where all the tv is ordered by title/date/or category; where there are separate aggregation screens b/w me and the content in SageMC. If what I'm looking for isn't in that first TV page, I need to do more navigating to get to the place where I can find it.

I say this as a former MCE & VMC user (almost 5 years when I made the switch).
Doesn't it take more clicks to get to any media-type screen though? Say you want to play a video or a song - it takes additional "clicks" to do that in the default STV versus MC doesn't it?

I'm not arguing that one is better than the other but really interested in the reasons people choose one over the other - could help in planning for the future and such...
Old 12-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Doesn't it take more clicks to get to any media-type screen though? Say you want to play a video or a song - it takes additional "clicks" to do that in the default STV versus MC doesn't it?
Yes*, but my primary usage is TV. But if it bothered me I could add direct navigation links to the main page.

Once I get into the SageMC tv experience, I still have to click deeper to find content v. the Malore tv experience (which has everything, and changing the pivot is a >> away).

* My Music and My Videos buttons solve this issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'm not arguing that one is better than the other but really interested in the reasons people choose one over the other - could help in planning for the future and such...
I prefer the SageMC video experience (category browsing and navigating to the video info page instead of an intermediate menu when selecting the item for e.g.). I wish it were possible to opt in to the functionality w/o getting the UI (the left action buttons use too much real estate).
Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Sage Icon

I'm going to give SageMC another try after figuring out that I can create my own menu items. By adding a link directly to recorded tv (and saving 2 clicks), I should be able to get close enough to what I want. That fanart addin is too slick