SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Playing a recorded show locks up PC

Tonight my wife and I were at the computer watching one of the TV shows I recorded. While watching, about 15 minutes into it I started getting video glitches. The audio kept playing fine with no skips. Then it locked up TIGHT and I had to hit the reset button on the PC to reboot. Upon rebooting, I tried playing the same show (again, at the computer) and the glitches started happening almost immediately. We stopped watching at the computer and finished watching it at the TV through the HD200 extender. It played fine there, no issues at all. The particular show we were watching was SD. We have watched other recorded shows through the PC with no issues, even HD shows.

Any ideas what could have caused this? Why would there be problems with one recording and not with others?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswoods View Post
Tonight my wife and I were at the computer watching one of the TV shows I recorded. While watching, about 15 minutes into it I started getting video glitches. The audio kept playing fine with no skips. Then it locked up TIGHT and I had to hit the reset button on the PC to reboot. Upon rebooting, I tried playing the same show (again, at the computer) and the glitches started happening almost immediately. We stopped watching at the computer and finished watching it at the TV through the HD200 extender. It played fine there, no issues at all. The particular show we were watching was SD. We have watched other recorded shows through the PC with no issues, even HD shows.

Any ideas what could have caused this? Why would there be problems with one recording and not with others?

Thanks
What kind of recording is it? Analog capture or Digital capture? FTA broadcast or cable?

In my experience, Sage sometimes produce a bad recording (FTA DVB-T) that I have to clean it using VideoRedo before I can watch it. Sometimes it is simply beyond repair.
SageTV 6.6.2 / 42" Plasma Panasonic TH-42PX600A/ Intel Pentium DC E6500/ 2Gb Ram/KWorld DVB-T PC160-2T/ Logitech Harmony Remote X360/ Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT (Silent)/ Winfast DTV1000T/ WD Caviar Green 808Gb HD/ Win 7 Ultimate/ Mission Cinema 7/ Denon AVR-1800
Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

It was an over-the-air digital recording. We get all our TV OTA. This recording played fine on the HD200. So far, all other recordings have played fine on the PC as well as the HD200.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Since it is a OTA digital capture, I suspect signal quality is probably the culprit.
Personally, I have problems with DVB-T digital capture and I don't think Sage is very robust against problematic signal packet (hence the use of VideoRedo).

In the past when I was using hardware analog capture thru S-video, no such problem exists.
SageTV 6.6.2 / 42" Plasma Panasonic TH-42PX600A/ Intel Pentium DC E6500/ 2Gb Ram/KWorld DVB-T PC160-2T/ Logitech Harmony Remote X360/ Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT (Silent)/ Winfast DTV1000T/ WD Caviar Green 808Gb HD/ Win 7 Ultimate/ Mission Cinema 7/ Denon AVR-1800