SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 AM

Unhappy Trying to configure the new SageTV HD Theater - Invalid Directory - FIXED

I am extremely frustrated. When I found the device online, I figured it would work as advertised...

"No PC required. Enjoy your home network media and online videos in Full HD! Now for only $199.95.

No fan, no noise, easy to setup. Enjoy Music, Photos and Video from your PC, Mac, NAS or Online Video. Also enjoy Live or recorded HDTV*!"

I don't need live TV, and I didn't want to connect a computer to this...I just want an easy way to call up media (videos, music, photos) from my IOMEGA 1TB NAS and have it run through my TV.

I have gone through the thread on invalid directories (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37388), but most posts in there seem to refer to guys using their own servers etc...

My set up is simple...

IOMEGA NAS
Sage HD TV Theatre

I can browse all the online services etc...but I get this invalid directory every time I try and browse to my NAS.

Through the Sage device, I can see the NAS and the folders on the NAS. I can see all the computers on my network. I have tried moving media files around into public directories thinking that it may require files in order to "see" the folder properly. I have tried both manual and automatic settings (although I can't seem to find how to set paths etc...manually). I have updated all the firmware. I have unplugged the device and gone through the set up routine again.

Don't know what else to do. I am ready to send this back as it has definitely been a pain to configure, and it is already not working as advertised. Maybe Sage isn't ready to hit the prime time yet? I am just an average user (and judging by the marketing this device should work for me)...

Anyway, I am ranting a bit, and it is late. I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:32 AM
Sage User

You aren't alone. I had the same experience last night trying to install the HD200 and just registered here to ask the same question. I'm using an external hard drive instead of a NAS, but the rest is the same. Hopefully we'll get a simple fix.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator

When you say that you updated the firmware, did you enter '2382' (spells 'beta') on the remote while on the firmware update screen, then checked for an update?

If not, try that. If you did, then contact support or file a bug report.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Sage User

HD-200 standalone importing

<update: Reported to SageTV as a bug.>

I have a similar problem, no videos appear when importing.

HD200 <-> Dlink DNS-323 NAS
"20081212 0" beta firmware on the HD200

1. browsed to //DNS-323/~Movies/ and added as an import directory.
2. for import options, left checkmark for video, unchecked photos & music
3. selected "Refresh Imported Media"
4. waited 1/2 hour - no dice

Note: I can browse into the '~Movies' directory and manually select/play all movies with no problems; the movies within are both flat and in subdirs (e.g. //DNS-323/~Movies/mymovie.mkv and //DNS-323/~Movies/MovieDir/mymovie2.mkv).

The import feature seems to be the problem. When viewing the imported directory information, the blue folder icon has an "X" through it.

Hoping this is fixed soon for standalone functionality.

Last edited by h2guy; 12-17-2008 at 11:16 PM. Reason: specificity
Old 12-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Sage

ANY of you that are having problems like this PLEASE file a bug report with us. We've tried this on a lot of networks with lots of different devices and are not able to reproduce the problems you're seeing. We'd very much like to fix them; but need some more data back on these specific problems.

http://sagetv.com/bugs.html
Old 12-17-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
When you say that you updated the firmware, did you enter '2382' (spells 'beta') on the remote while on the firmware update screen, then checked for an update?

If not, try that. If you did, then contact support or file a bug report.

- Andy
No, I just updated what was intuitive on the screen. Did I miss this in the manual, or is this some "secret override"?

I was wondering where I was supposed to enter that code (I read about other people getting the "beta" update, but there didn't seem to be a place to do that). I tried it and it worked. Thanks very much for the quick response.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Sage Expert

I'm also having this problem.

Problem was still happening after updating to the beta version of the 200 firmware that was available as of 10pm pacific time on the 16th, I believe this beta firmware was dated 12/12?

Only a stand alone mode problem, works great as an extender.

thanks
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 12-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
No, I just updated what was intuitive on the screen. Did I miss this in the manual, or is this some "secret override"?

I was wondering where I was supposed to enter that code (I read about other people getting the "beta" update, but there didn't seem to be a place to do that). I tried it and it worked. Thanks very much for the quick response.
When you say 'it worked', are you just referring to installing the beta firmware; or do you mean the beta firmware also fixed the problem you were having?
Old 12-17-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
When you say 'it worked', are you just referring to installing the beta firmware; or do you mean the beta firmware also fixed the problem you were having?
sorry, I should have been more clear. I was able to update to the latest "beta" firmware, and that fixed my network browsing problem. I was able to "log in" to my NAS as a user and browse through the files and play them. I believe that my problem has been fixed.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Crusher View Post
I'm also having this problem.

Problem was still happening after updating to the beta version of the 200 firmware that was available as of 10pm pacific time on the 16th, I believe this beta firmware was dated 12/12?

Only a stand alone mode problem, works great as an extender.

thanks
Please file a bug report if you're still having this issue after updating to the beta firmware.

Thanks,
Old 12-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, I'm still having this same issue as well. Works in Extender mode fine now with the new Beta, but when I try standalone mode, I just get 'Invalid Directory' no matter what share I try to browse. I can see all of my shares (1 Linux SMB share, 3 Windows XP shares, and a Vista share), but when I try to go into those shares (no matter which one), I just get 'Invalid Dir'. All guest accounts are enabled all of of the other machines.

I am running the latest Beta firmware, but my question is, do I need to perform a full reset to default in order to make it forget everything after doing the Beta firmware upgrade? Could there be something it is 'remembering' from the old config before doing the upgrade that is causing it to still not work? I just thought of this now, and I'm at work so I can't try it now, but I'm curious if this has something to do with it.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Sage

Please file a bug report if you're having this problem; so far the few bug reports we've gotten on this one have been resolved by updating to the beta firmware (with one exception so far; and we're waiting to hear back from Deacon Crusher...and you're obviously an exception too; so please contact us about it)
Old 12-28-2008, 07:35 PM

I am having the same issues as stated by h2guy with a DNS-323 and have submitted a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2guy View Post
<update: Reported to SageTV as a bug.>

I have a similar problem, no videos appear when importing.

HD200 <-> Dlink DNS-323 NAS
"20081212 0" beta firmware on the HD200

1. browsed to //DNS-323/~Movies/ and added as an import directory.
2. for import options, left checkmark for video, unchecked photos & music
3. selected "Refresh Imported Media"
4. waited 1/2 hour - no dice

Note: I can browse into the '~Movies' directory and manually select/play all movies with no problems; the movies within are both flat and in subdirs (e.g. //DNS-323/~Movies/mymovie.mkv and //DNS-323/~Movies/MovieDir/mymovie2.mkv).

The import feature seems to be the problem. When viewing the imported directory information, the blue folder icon has an "X" through it.

Hoping this is fixed soon for standalone functionality.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Sage Icon

I have a readyNAS and able to see files but when I try to play I get a -2 error. I'm running the latest beta.

I read in one of the firmware updates you can setup username and password? How? Sometimes when I'm doing acronis backup to my readynas, it seems to work when I use the username and password. Maybe this is the similar issue?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
I have a readyNAS and able to see files but when I try to play I get a -2 error. I'm running the latest beta.

I read in one of the firmware updates you can setup username and password? How?
If the share requires a password, the HD200 will prompt you to enter it when you try and browse the share.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Sage Icon

I get to browse the files, no problem. But when I try to play I get the -2 error and no password pop up.

Normally when I use windows or linux, I don't get asked the password info.

Weird.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Sage Icon

Sorry if I threadjack'd

So, I'm able to play off the server computer (windowsxp) but not able to play off the readynas.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Sage

We've posted a new beta firmware (20081230) which fixes at least one cause of the Invalid Directory problem. (we finally were able to reproduce it) Please give it a try and let us know your results with it. (for the two users we went in depth with on this one; this fix resolves the problem though...it may resolve it for everyone who has Invalid Directory issues...we'll have to see)

The fix does apply across a wide range of things related to this though; so even if it was at the workgroup/server/share level this could very well fix the problem. And even if you could browse; but not play; again this may fix the problem.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

I installed the latest firmware and I am now able to browse my Active Directory workgroup! It showed up right away after entering the file system. It even prompted me for authentication. But I entered my username and password and it did not let me in. Maybe it is a capital/lower case deal or something. I'll keep playing with it. I was just thrilled to see the domain available!!
(1) KWorld 115 ATSC Tuner OTA
(1) HD200 HDMI to Samsung 50" Plasma
(1) MediaMVP to 19" in bedroom

SageTV 7.0.23 release
Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, it's case sensitive (AFAIK) use the Pause button to change from caps to lowercase.