SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-27-2008, 07:00 PM

What did I do wrong?

I am new to SageTV, so this might be obvious to some of you. I set up a recording of a program using an HD channel from my cable provider (Charter). It recorded the program fine, but the video player only shows a portion of the picture (I think it is the top left corner).

Changing the aspect ratios for viewing helps a little bit, but ultimately, I am missing a large portion of the picture.

I do not believe the problem is the player because the same thing occurs on another player with the same video.

I am pretty sure it was the settings for the recording. I am just not sure what I did wrong.

Thanks!

P.S. The cable box is an HD cable box
Old 12-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post
I am new to SageTV, so this might be obvious to some of you. I set up a recording of a program using an HD channel from my cable provider (Charter). It recorded the program fine, but the video player only shows a portion of the picture (I think it is the top left corner).

Changing the aspect ratios for viewing helps a little bit, but ultimately, I am missing a large portion of the picture.

I do not believe the problem is the player because the same thing occurs on another player with the same video.

I am pretty sure it was the settings for the recording. I am just not sure what I did wrong.

Thanks!

P.S. The cable box is an HD cable box
What is your capture device? What is the connection from your cable box to your capture device?

The fastest way to get helps for your problem begins with describing your setup and problems thoroughly.

Just a wild guess: Did you set up the country/region or recording format in Sage properly? This sounds like a NTSC/PAL problem!
SageTV 6.6.2 / 42" Plasma Panasonic TH-42PX600A/ Intel Pentium DC E6500/ 2Gb Ram/KWorld DVB-T PC160-2T/ Logitech Harmony Remote X360/ Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT (Silent)/ Winfast DTV1000T/ WD Caviar Green 808Gb HD/ Win 7 Ultimate/ Mission Cinema 7/ Denon AVR-1800
Old 12-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Sage Icon

Sounds more likely an issue with the output of his cable box...
My guess is that he is using the HD-PVR to record from his HD cable box and when the cable box changes the channel to start recording it is being displayed in one resolution (either 480/720 or 1080) and the HD-PVR is recording in that resolution for the duration of the recording but when the actual video starts it is in another resolution.
So the cable starts out as 480, recording then is 480(Commercials) throughout, the cable box changes to 1080i(Actual Show) but the HD-PVR is still recording at only 480.

Try setting the output to your cable box to a set resolution. Either 720p or 1080i and this shouldn't happen again.