SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Sage User

Question Cannot figure out "stand-alone" mode - FIXED

I have an HD-200 unit with the following configuration:

Wired via Ethernet via router to my Windows Vista Home Premium PC.
Latest BETA firmware installed as of today
Latest BETA client software installed as of today
PC Workgroup defined as: WORKGROUP
SageTV Workgroup defined as: WORKGROUP
Guest account on Vista machine is enabled
Folder "M:\Videos" is set up as Shared will full permissions to "Everyone"
Gateway is defined on PC/SageTV as: 192.168.1.1
Windows File Server option on SageTV: Enabled
SageTV FileServer Name: STV-HD200

and getting to the problem at hand:
My Windows Vista machine cannot see my SageTV unit in the network
My SageTV cannot see my Windows Vista machine in the network

I assumed this would work so i could access my media files on my PC from the SageTV unit in stand-alone mode with file sharing, but cannot figure out how to get the 2 units to see each other...

I can access everything fine when i connect to my PC via the SageTV Server Service from the SageTV unit, so i know that connectivity is not an issue.... it's just in stand-alone mode that the two don't want to talk...

HELP! PLEASE!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwestness View Post
Latest BETA client software installed as of today
PC Workgroup defined as: WORKGROUP
SageTV Workgroup defined as: WORKGROUP
Guest account on Vista machine is enabled
Folder "M:\Videos" is set up as Shared will full permissions to "Everyone"
Gateway is defined on PC/SageTV as: 192.168.1.1
Windows File Server option on SageTV: Enabled
SageTV FileServer Name: STV-HD200

and getting to the problem at hand:
My Windows Vista machine cannot see my SageTV unit in the network
My SageTV cannot see my Windows Vista machine in the network
For standalone mode you don't need any SageTV software on your Vista PC. In extender mode you need the SageTV server software not the client.

Why not enable DHCP on your router and let the PC and the HD200 get an IP from that?

If your HD200 can obtain an IP from the router, you will be able to see that in the router logs.

In the HD200 you only need to enable DHCP and from memory you don't need to define the workgroup. It should be able to see all the workgroups in your network and allow you to browse the shares.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:44 AM
Sage User

DHCP mode is enabled on my router and both the PC and SageTV units have their IP addressed assigned from it.

In the settings of the SageTV unit, it makes you choose the name of workgroup that you wish to operate in, it gives default choices of WORKGROUP and MSHOME as well as an option to define a custom name... i am using the standard WORKGROUP option (which is the same as my PC)

It just says "Invalid Directory" when i attempt to pull up any videos or define and media import directories or even browse the file system on the SageTV unit.

If i browse the network on the sageTV i see the WORKGROUP "folder" and under that, the only option is the STV-HD200 filesystem... no PC... From any other PC on my network i can access my main system and all it's fileshares... just not from the Sage Unit
Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 AM
SageTVaholic

So you're running at least the 20081230 firmware on the extender? Does your PC have Guest account enabled?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Vista by default sets your network up as public and doesn't allow network discovery. You need to set your network as private and turn on all the network discovery, share files and probably reboot a couple of times before you get everything toalking to each other.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Sage User

I am running BETA Firmward 20081230... Guest Account is Enabled... Vista configuration confirms "Private network" and all file sharing is enabled... still can't see each other except through the extender function... :-( This is annoying
Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Sage User

I had problems with Vista not seeing network shares. It had to do with the election of a master browser and I solved my problems by making my Linux firewall be the master browser on the network.

If this is the problem on your network, you should be able to open the Network on your Vista machine and type:

\\STP-HD200\TempLogs

in the address bar.

You may have to turn everything off on your network and then turn things on one at a time until you figure out the correct sequence to get a reliable master browser.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Sage User

ok... i'm really stupid... the File and Print Sharing Protocol was not enabled on my machine! Why does it let you select to share files on the network when this protocol is disabled in the first place...

just goes to show you that it's always the stupidest thing that you overlooked that is the problem... Thanks to everybody that responded, but it's all better now :-)