SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-11-2009, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage for WHS users - how do you backup the SageTV folder?

One of the advantages to running WHS is that it backs up all of the PCs on your LAN, but I don't believe WHS is as good at backing up your system volume. It seems to assume that you will just do a reinstall if your system drive dies. I know that you can backup the system volume with PP1 but I think this is a manual process is it not? You can't schedule these backups to happen on a daily basis.

But if you run SageTV on your WHS box then wouldn't it be prudent to have daily backups of your C:\Program Files\SageTV folder, or at least your wiz.bin and sage.properties files? If so then what is the best way to do this. Does it complicate matters that these files are always open, assuming that Sage is running 24x7?

Or can you even move the location of wiz.bin and sage.properties to the shared volume.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
One of the advantages to running WHS is that it backs up all of the PCs on your LAN, but I don't believe WHS is as good at backing up your system volume. It seems to assume that you will just do a reinstall if your system drive dies. I know that you can backup the system volume with PP1 but I think this is a manual process is it not? You can't schedule these backups to happen on a daily basis.

But if you run SageTV on your WHS box then wouldn't it be prudent to have daily backups of your C:\Program Files\SageTV folder, or at least your wiz.bin and sage.properties files? If so then what is the best way to do this. Does it complicate matters that these files are always open, assuming that Sage is running 24x7?

Or can you even move the location of wiz.bin and sage.properties to the shared volume.
Look at something like SyncToy 2.0 from Microsoft to synchronize files and/or folders out to a folder.
Quote:
SyncToy, a free PowerToy for Microsoft Windows, is an easy to use, highly customizable program that helps users to do the heavy lifting involved with the copying, moving, and synchronization of different directories. Most common operations can be performed with just a few clicks of the mouse, and additional customization is available without additional complexity. SyncToy can manage multiple sets of folders at the same time; it can combine files from two folders in one case, and mimic renames and deletes in another case. Unlike other applications, SyncToy actually keeps track of renames to files and will make sure those changes get carried over to the synchronized folder.
Latest version as of Aug. 2008 SyncToy 2.0 and .NET 2.0 should already be installed. 32 or 64 bit available.

Another good tool SyncBack SE. SyncBack SE

Another excellent choice is Cobian Backup 9. Cobian Backup

You really can't go wrong. Decide if you want to sync/backup the whole folder or just certain files. (wiz.bin and .properties) Determine how many different versions to keep. Auto schedule it. They can all do it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 PM
SageTVaholic

I tried Synctoy with WHS in the past (about a year ago before PP1- see this thread that I started http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...a-cb582b010e8f ) and it didn't play nicely with WHS. In fact Synctoy 2.0 was specifically one of the apps that caused corruption in pre-PP1 WHS. But that was when I was trying to sync from the Shared volumes to an external drive.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

I've never had issues with synctoy. Pre or post pp1...