SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hulu plugin?

Any way to get Hulu listed in the online services? I guess I would need to provide/save my username/pw somewhere?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage was showing it at CES, pre-beta...
Old 01-13-2009, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

It's currently only possible using the HD200 in standalone mode. But you have to use PlayOn to do it and after trial period costs.

As Stanger89 mentioned, they demo'd it at CES and it looks like we'll see Hulu available to SageTV on the Online Video page in a future version - hopefully soon.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

this will totally rock!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey3002 View Post
this will totally rock!
Agreed. I'm looking forward to the day when we can all pull our tuners, crazy IR => cable box setups, splitters, HD converters, etc. and just pull our content via broadband. It's comin'.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

this will be like the golden egg.. lol better start saving for the 2 hd theaters i need..
Old 01-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Diginerd Send a message via Yahoo to Diginerd
I have PlayOn running with my X-Box 360, best $30 spent in a long time.

Also supports NETFLIX as well, huge huge huge...

Sage really needs to have this available on regular clients, older HD etenders etc. Pretty please with sugar on top. I don't want to have to buy an X-Box 360 for the bedroom to stream. I already have a HD-1000 for that, please let me do it with Sage...

PlayOn uses WMP11 functionality, and it works surprisingly well.

Come on guys.. :-)
Old 01-24-2009, 01:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diginerd View Post
I have PlayOn running with my X-Box 360, best $30 spent in a long time.

Also supports NETFLIX as well, huge huge huge...

Sage really needs to have this available on regular clients, older HD etenders etc. Pretty please with sugar on top. I don't want to have to buy an X-Box 360 for the bedroom to stream. I already have a HD-1000 for that, please let me do it with Sage...

PlayOn uses WMP11 functionality, and it works surprisingly well.

Come on guys.. :-)
What are you asking for here? PlayOn works in SageTV HD200 already (Netflix doesn't work but Hulu does). Matter of fact I watched the first episode of this seasons BSG last night on my HD200 and it looks pretty darn good.

PlayOn in general stinks though imo.

Can't wait for Hulu support in all of SageTV.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Diginerd Send a message via Yahoo to Diginerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
What are you asking for here? PlayOn works in SageTV HD200 already (Netflix doesn't work but Hulu does). Matter of fact I watched the first episode of this seasons BSG last night on my HD200 and it looks pretty darn good.

PlayOn in general stinks though imo.

Can't wait for Hulu support in all of SageTV.

Last line is what I'm after, support in Sage Server / Software Client / 1st Gen Extenders. :-) If we could get native Netflix too in the process that would rock. Netflix on the XBox is another nifty benefit of that platform.

I too watched BSG from HULU, admittedly to my XBox360, but the net result is the same. IP TV is viable in the livingroom, without the need to pay a monthly tax to your cable company for a bunch of garbage I don't want is a reality. It will only be a matter of time before more HD content becomes availble via this vector, and to be honest I'll take free SD over expensive HD...

At this point, I have to admit I'm on the edge of jumping ship from Sage again (I've bounced in and out of the fold twice over the past 5 years).

I'm only recording Locals with a HD Homerun these days, along with accessing a large video library. I used to have 4 STBs runing via firewire into a Mac too until it got to the stage where the cost benefit ratio of content / Cable Co bill passed the stupid mark.

Getting IP TV content into my existing Sage setup with 2 extenders would certainly feed my green eyed monster for fresh content.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Looks like MediaCenter might get Hulu before SageTV

Hurry Jeff! Hurry.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Eh, MCE can have that version of Hulu. Judging from the video all its doing is scraping Hulu's site for links, scraping theTVDB for posters/fanart, and then kicking off a web browser and auto-clicking full screen. There's no way it would...

a) Ever work on an extender.
b) Be able to fast forward and rewind.

I'm not really sure why its getting so much press other than the "OMGZ HULU!" factor.

Edit: I added the part about theTVDB, associating Hulu's shows with theTVDB's artwork is pretty crafty. I imagine once Sage releases Hulu support we'll need to make a plug-in that does the same thing. In those videos from CES it looks like they were just dumping Hulu into the online services template they already have. Hopefully I'm wrong because it would be a huge mistake to release a new, flagship, feature that looks exactly like the UI most reviewers have already written off.

Last edited by evilpenguin; 02-11-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

From what I understand, AppleTV already has a Hulu section? I don't know for sure, and I was told from a non-techy AppleTV user that may be confused.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
I'm not really sure why its getting so much press other than the "OMGZ HULU!" factor.
Must have been that Alec Baldwin Super Bowl commercial.

...Okay, maybe not.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
Anything like this with online video will be getting good press these days. I know its inferior and not ideal yet, but online video is becoming very prominent these days.

They plan to actually transcode the video to make it usable on the xb360 and extenders - we'll see how that goes.

I want it in SageTV as one more source of content - will use it as a "oh I missed that show" kind of thing.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I want it in SageTV as one more source of content - will use it as a "oh I missed that show" kind of thing.
When I read this it crossed my mind that since I went Sage I havn't missed a single recording yet. 6 months in about two weeks. I used to use Hulu almost weekly in my MCE phases. Not so much in my Beyond TV phases. Never in my SageTV phase. (Actually, SageTVs not a phase anymore)

I guess I'll use it for old Perry Mason shows and such. It will be a welcome addition.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT

Last edited by HelenWeathers; 02-13-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
When I read this it crossed my mind that since I went Sage I havn't missed a single recording yet. 6 months in about two weeks. I used to use Hulu almost weekly in my MEC phases. Not so much in my Beyond TV phases. Never in my SageTV phase. (Actually, SageTVs not a phase anymore)

I guess I'll use it for old Perry Mason shows and such. It will be a welcome addition.
I will say that once I tried Sage I almost immediately dumped BeyondTV and went to Sage in production. Very stable compared to BTV.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
When I read this it crossed my mind that since I went Sage I havn't missed a single recording yet. 6 months in about two weeks. I used to use Hulu almost weekly in my MCE phases. Not so much in my Beyond TV phases. Never in my SageTV phase. (Actually, SageTVs not a phase anymore)

You know I actually have had a few missed shows - some because of
  1. operator error (I tend to test a bit much on the production system)
  2. some because I didn't set up a recording the wife wanted (this happens less often now that I do the "premieres and returning shows" post each Sunday)
  3. and finally sometimes in a very rare occasion my HD-PVR IR blasting screws up. This is the one thing I need to tackle and get firewire tuning going.

Another good reason for Hulu is it actually has some shows you might not have access to depending on what level of cable/satellite you have. If you're all OTA, it is a really nice addition.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
...some because I didn't set up a recording the wife wanted (this happens less often now that I do the "premieres and returning shows" post each Sunday)
I read the premieres and returning shows section on your website every week. Thanks for adding it as a regular feature. I would have missed "Medium"s premier if not for your posts.

I have forgotten to record some shows as well, but I was really talking about software failure.

I did have four weeks of he!l when I first added the two HD-PVRs (and switched to Sage) but since I got my components coexisting, not a single miss due to software/system issues.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 02-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I read the premieres and returning shows section on your website every week. Thanks for adding it as a regular feature. I would have missed "Medium"s premier if not for your posts.
I assume you have Medim in your favorites? (Great ending on it BTW!) If so, I am sure you would have noticed that it had recorded sooner or later.

I have missed a few shows over the years due to one bump or another. The last bump I had a connector on a coax cable (one that came with the HDHR) literally come apart. Hulu saveed me on that one. Just for such occaisions, I would love to have access to Hulu via the extenders. Right now my server is still hooked up to my tv along with an extender allowing me full web access. I prefer to use the extenders because they just work.

Wayne
Old 02-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszoo View Post
I assume you have Medim in your favorites?
I do now. It ended last year before I was up and running with Sage. I just overlooked it until I saw Brent's list. The only thing I miss in skipping commercials, is that I'm not always aware of new shows and season premiers. Now I just go to geektonic.