SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Pauses at programme ends

Has anyone also experienced the pause at the end of programmes when watching live tv? I haven't seen any mention of it in the forums, but I'd be surprised to find I'm the only one getting it.

Basically, when the end of a programme is reached (and the tuner is staying on the same channel) there is a reasonably long pause (up to 3 or 4 seconds) before live tv continues. The only thing I can attribute it is to the closing of the current mpeg file and the starting of a new one. The problem never occurs if I am watching later than real time or watching a completely unrelated recording.

I don't generally watch completely live tv that much now (since Sage lets me watch what I want when I want), so it's not a show-stopper, but it would be good to eliminate the problem if possible.

I'm not sure if it's specific to the beta version, as I didn't run 1.4 for very long before upgrading. The problem seems to exist on all beta versions from 2.0.11 onwards though.

Anybody have any ideas?

- Neil.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:23 AM

The pause is generated by closing and opening a new MPEG2 stream. It has always been in there. This is pretty normal for PVR's.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Administrator

It has definitely been talked about in the forums & the pause varies from system to system. You'll get the same pause when you change channels in live TV.

- Andy
Old 03-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Sage User

I've seen up to 11 second pauses and just recently realized if I hit FF in the middle of the pause, it starts playing again.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I've seen up to 11 second pauses and just recently realized if I hit FF in the middle of the pause, it starts playing again.
Now that is NOT normal .
Old 03-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

It looks like it's an issue with reading a stream that has just been started, probably because there isn't enough data there to start decoding from it yet.

But surely this can be solved by maintaining a sliding window of mpeg data which overlaps the two streams and running the playback from there? I'm not saying that it's necessarily easy to do, but I would expect it to be possible.

- Neil.