SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 AM

Need help with networked setup

Hi,

I've been lurking around in hope to find an answer to my question, but I have had no luck so far and so I hope a direct question may finally send me in the right direction with this.

My setup is a server running SageTV in the basement with a capture card hooked up to a cable source. There is a computer up one level under the tv that is running Sagetv client. I usually use a mouse to control it, but I also use a harmony remote with a MCE usb receiver when we feel like it. Either way, we are controlling regular cable through the client software.

Our cable provider is trying to saddle us with a digital box, but I still want to use SageTV Client to control everything (channel change, etc.) I've read about IR Blasters a bit, but it looks like it needs to all be in the same room. I've also tried using girder on my server, but am unable to see any events happening.

Does anyone have my setup, and can anyone tell me a way to make this work so I can control the set top box which is in another room hooked up to a server? Is doesn't have USB or firewire or serial. I really don't want to take the server out of the equation and move my cable upstairs.

Thank you
Old 01-16-2009, 05:39 AM
Sage Icon

The most common control device here is the USB-UIRT which requires a USB port. I also had a serial port device which could control 1 STB but requires a serial port on the server.
And finally, some STB's have firewire connection.
The only suggestion I have is to buy an add-on card for USB, Serial or Firewire...
Old 01-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Is doesn't have USB or firewire or serial.

Nope.

Best advise I can give ya is add a USB add-on card to the server so you can use USB devices. Once thats done you can use a USBUIRT to control up to 3 of the same device with the same IR codes. Done it several times, no worries. The box would be installed at the server and controlled via the client upstairs or any other client anywhere in the case of placeshifter.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Sage Icon

Are you saying that the server has no *available* USB/serial/firewire, or just none at all?

If none, you could probably drop in a new motherboard for $50 and get a faster rig with more ports. (I'm guess that your current server is old, since most boards, even the small ones, have at least 1 or 2 USB ports.)
Old 01-16-2009, 10:19 AM
SageTVaholic

I think he's saying the STB has no USB, firewire, or serial. Which is OK, you can control it with an IR blaster (such as the USB-UIRT) attached to the server, and still administer everything from the client upstairs. You don't need to move anything.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
I think he's saying the STB has no USB, firewire, or serial. Which is OK, you can control it with an IR blaster (such as the USB-UIRT) attached to the server, and still administer everything from the client upstairs. You don't need to move anything.
Yeah, I guess that make more sense. OP seems ambiguous, though.

Then, yes, USB-UIRT via IR blast (and USB to the server, which it seems you now might have) should do 'ya.

Other than coughing up the $50 (?) to get one, should be easy to setup.
Matt
Old 01-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
Yeah, I guess that make more sense. OP seems ambiguous, though.

Then, yes, USB-UIRT via IR blast (and USB to the server, which it seems you now might have) should do 'ya.

Other than coughing up the $50 (?) to get one, should be easy to setup.
Matt
That's correct, I have usb on the server, but the STB has no USB, firewire, or serial.

If I get the USBUIRT, then sagetv client and server can be set up without any extra hassle to have this setup working?

Thank you, looks like I will be making an order then.

Thank you to everybody whom posted. I was feeling really lost there for a bit.

Last edited by jkasdorf; 01-16-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Forgot to thank for the information
Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasdorf View Post
If I get the USBUIRT, then sagetv client and server can be set up without any extra hassle to have this setup working?
I think you'll need to delete the current source, install the UIRT, then reconfigure the (new) source. You'll select "USB-UIRT" as the method of tuning the source.

From that point on, whenever Sage wants to change the channel of the tuner (either b/c you're surfing on the client PC, or just to record a scheduled show), it'll IR blast a new channel via the UIRT. Might take a second or two.

Matt