SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Unhappy Can't connect to PlaceShifter

I'm in the trial period & trying toget PlaceShifter working. My server is running XP SP2, and client is running Win2K. Both are on my local LAN connected via ethernet. I've tried with both 6.4.8 and the latest beta. The firewall has been configured to pass through port 31099 to the server, and PlaceShifter on the server succeeds in connecting to itself. I set up 2 users for Placeshifter. On the client, I set up 2 different connections, one using the LAN computer name or IP address (tried it both ways), and another using the locator ID. When I bring up PS on the client, I get the servers manager, which shows the one set up with locater id as "locator found server" and the one using the local LAN info is displayed by the computer name & "local network." When I try to connect to either one, I get a brief screen saying "attempting to connect" (I think - it goes away too quickly to get a good look). That screen goes away and PS simply closes - no login request.

Sage Client works fine (well, mostly - there are some oddities about playback and live tv display, but at least I can connect & do stuff). Am I doing something wrong, or have I found a bug?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Sage Expert

Try modifying the placeshifter settings. Trying to use 3D acceleration on my laptop will cause the same issue. I've also seen it happen when trying to enable post processing.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs up Turning off the 3d worked!

Thanks. post-processing had already been set to "off", and once I turned off the 3d accelleration I was in business. Playback wasn't perfect over my 100 megabit LAN (need to see if it improves if we can connect to the gigabit router). I don't know what I might expect trying to connect remotely, esp. since my laptop is old & slow, but that's less of an issue for my intended use - at least for now.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Sage User

Exact same problem and same solution

Hey! I came here to write exactly what VCRUser wrote - same problem, same solution - turned off 3d acceleration in the Settings and Placeshifter came up for the first time. Didn't even ask for a password. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-15-2009, 04:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ausmerica
Same PS connection problem

Configuration the same as VCRuser, XP SP2 running SageTV server, Placeshifter running on laptop XP SP2. Licensed copy of SageTV & PS.

Placeshifter User is configured on Server.

Placeshifter Servers Manager window shows "Locator Found Server" attempting to connect brings up Username/Password window but disappears after about 2-3 seconds. Can't enter username (no characters echo on screen)

3D accel is off, Video Post Processing is off, I've tried various combinations of these without results.

Last Connection time refreshes to current time on the Placeshifter Servers Manager so it appears to be connecting, hence assume ports are configured appropriately ....any ideas / suggestions appreciated.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Sage Expert

Try two things (both are a shot in the dark):

1. Find out your home's IP address, and use that instead of the locater server (at least for this test; eliminates one cog in the chain).

2. Turn off the dynamic streaming system, and manually specify the connection speed to be less than your upload speed. Although this should have little to do with entering the password, my experience is that I've had trouble in the past on relatively slow connections entering the password when using the DSS.

HTH,
Stu
Old 04-16-2009, 08:39 PM
SageTVaholic

I had a similar, if not the same problem and I tried everything I could think off to fix it. Finally I deleted the lines in sage.properties that started with "locator" and then Sage regenerated these lines with a new locator ID. You might want to try this - but first backup your sage.properties.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausmerica View Post
Configuration the same as VCRuser, XP SP2 running SageTV server, Placeshifter running on laptop XP SP2. Licensed copy of SageTV & PS.

Placeshifter User is configured on Server.

Placeshifter Servers Manager window shows "Locator Found Server" attempting to connect brings up Username/Password window but disappears after about 2-3 seconds. Can't enter username (no characters echo on screen)

3D accel is off, Video Post Processing is off, I've tried various combinations of these without results.

Last Connection time refreshes to current time on the Placeshifter Servers Manager so it appears to be connecting, hence assume ports are configured appropriately ....any ideas / suggestions appreciated.
Have you tried this? It may not apply to your situation but it's just a placeshifter setting. "It looks like the developers found the issue and will be fixed in a future version.Here's workaround for now; you can go into the placeshifter Settings (prior to connecting to the server) and then for 'Local Filesystem Security' you should select 'disable server access'."
Old 05-02-2009, 08:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ausmerica
Yes tried that. The 'Disable server access...' setting is the default. Tried other settings as well. Problem persists

Server connects an shows U/P screen, if I enter any character it immediately disconnects. If I leave it dormant it disconnects after 2-3 seconds.

Is it possible ISP (Time Warner Cable) don't allow this server connection?

-- JP
Old 05-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausmerica View Post
Yes tried that. The 'Disable server access...' setting is the default. Tried other settings as well. Problem persists

Server connects an shows U/P screen, if I enter any character it immediately disconnects. If I leave it dormant it disconnects after 2-3 seconds.

Is it possible ISP (Time Warner Cable) don't allow this server connection?

-- JP
You should contact sage support and send them your server and placeshifter logs. I doubt if your ISP is the problem.

From the server:

To enable logging, disable any custom STV's/ plugins you are using, close SageTV and the service if running, then open up your Sage.properties (with notepad) file in your Frey Technologies or SageTV folder. Add this line to the properties file: "debug_logging=TRUE" Without the quotes and the word TRUE must be capitalized.

Then run SageTV and recreate the problem. After you recreate it, you can then close SageTV. Now look for this file in your Frey Technologies or SageTV folder: "sagetv_0.txt" Send them that file as an attachment. The quicker you can reproduce the problem the smaller the log file will be. The Sage.properties and the log files will be placed in C:\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramFiles\SageTV.

Sage creates a new log file each time you run it. It will also name the newest log file "sagetv_0.txt" and the previous log file will be named "sagetv_1.txt" and so on. Also, Sage will create a new log file after one reaches 10 megs. So the "sagetv_0.txt" log file is always the newest. I recommend deleting log files before you recreate your problem so that the support crew doesn't need to sift through too much other stuff.

Then send them a copy of your system information. Go to Setup > Help > System Information screen and hit the Info button (defaults to CTRL-I on your keyboard). A txt file named "SystemInfo.txt" will be created in your SageTV folder. Send them that file.

For the Placeshifter logs, go to the settings tab and tell them which version you are running in the About section.

Here's how to get the log file for the Placeshifter. Run the Placeshifter from a command prompt. Go into DOS and go into c:\Program Files\SageTV\Placeshifter or wherever you installed the Placeshifter and type in this command:

java -cp MiniClient.jar sage.miniclient.MiniClient 2> logfile.txt This will create a logfile.txt in that directory.

I hope this helps resolve your issue.

Last edited by lazy; 05-03-2009 at 06:42 AM.

Tags
connections, installation, placeshifter, setup