SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:31 AM
Sage User

Program info for QAM- So close, yet so far...

I have a new HP 2250 dual analog/digital tuner. Flowing the helpful posts here, I have gotten tantalizingly close to getting this to work as I want.

I added the two tuners twice, once as analog, once as digital. I end up with a list of channels where the analog ones are listed alongside the digital QAM ones. I can watch and record both.

The problem is that I can't figure out how to get program info for the digital channels. I have read the posts on remapping, but I can't get it to work. I have tried mapping the QAM channel "logically" to the analog equivalent. This doesn't seem to change anything, I still see the two channels where the analog has info and the QAM does not. I tried to map the QAM to the "physical" channel of the analog equivalent, but then the digital disappears in the channel list.

What I want is to see on my channel list is both the digital and the analog with the program info for both so I can choose which source i want to use for my recording. At a minimum, I would like the QAM channels listed with program info since they are higher quality anyway (i could live without using the analog equivalents).

Can someone please offer some advise or a nice step by step to help me?

Thanks!!

_Steve
Old 01-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Remapping is covered around p. 162 of the v6.4 PDF manual.

Use the Remap -> Map Different Station to this Physical Channel option to map the channel to proper station name.

Use the Remap -> Map to Different Logical Channel Number to change the number that is shown in the guide, if you need to.

The QAM channels need to be mapped to the correct stations, so go to Channel Setup, select the Remap option, choose Map Different Station to this Physical Channel, then select the correct station name from the list.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

cathersal, I was having the same issues as you are. Opus' post is the same as the one he said when I was asking.

I think if you look around (in this EPG thread and the hardware thread) you will find quite a bit of discussion on this topic.

Basically, just do what Opus said and you'll be fine (all QAM channels will be mapped into the existing EPG). Plan on spending a good afternoon checking all QAM channels against the cable channels so you know which QAM channel is the same as the cable ones.

I made a spreadsheet to list all QAM channels and what the mapping was for the cable channel. That way I can go back to it for reference.....I suggest the same for you.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Sage User

Solved

Thanks guys! You are exactly right. Remapping the QAM channel to the physical analog equivalent did the trick. It now shows up only once on the channel list, has the program guide info and records the QAM stream.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Sage User

On to my next issue, Clear QAM

So now that I seem to have sorted out the picture quality issue, my next issue is mapping the Clear QAM channels. I run a channel scan, and when SageTV does not crash during the scan, it gives me a list of available channels.

When I try to either map the channel of a digital channel to a physical channel, or remap a physical channel to the digital, it does not seem to work. Has anyone put together a clear set of instructions for how to map QAM channels? I have not run across any using search, and the manual seems less than helpful with this topic.

* merged *
Old 01-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Administrator

markh: see my above post. Also, I've moved your question to the EPG forum, where you will find several recent topics dealing with remapping.

The v6.5 PDF has a new blurb about remapping for QAM, starting on p. 164, called "Remapping Stations for EPG data using ATSC or QAM Digital Tuners". I just realized that it doesn't say how to determine what a channel is while trying to determine which station to remap it to... to do that, you pretty much have to use the View option to preview the channel & see what you tuned into if there is no info that SageTV could get about the channel in the broadcast stream.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Sage User

Thanks, I was searching in the wrong forum. My mistake.

Just a comment for SageTV from a probably soon to be former BeyondTV user. While the SageTV implementation does offer much more flexibility, the QAM mapping in BTV is more user friendly. It will show the channel and display a program guide to help match up the QAM channels with the physical channel. Given how often Comcast will be tweaking the QAM channels in the coming year, this may be a feature that could be improved upon.