SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-04-2004, 07:52 AM
Sage Icon

Important Feature request in my mind.

It would help me greatly if Sage could tell me how many gigs it has available/not available to use based on calculating the files it can delete vs the files that are marked to keep etc. Is this a planned feature?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Not sure what you mean, in Detailed Setup -> System Information, the currently used/free space is given, both Gb and Hours for used, just Gb for free. It also shows the amount of space used by the library.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Sage Icon

Right but it doesn't tell me how much it were to have available if it deletes the files I've marked for deletion. Only tells me free gigs on the drive which never really changes once it has filled up to my leave 2 gigs available level. I want to know how many gigs sage knows it can or can't free up if it starts deleting old watched show files etc.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Sage Icon

In v2, if yo mark it for deletion, its deleted. It does not hang around like 1.4.1. It will not tell youhow much space it can free up because it wont even try if you keep free space by deleting files. It only deletes files automatically that it absolutely must so that it can record th next show.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Administrator

... and unless I'm mistaken, it will find _something_ to delete if the drive gets full, as long as you don't have _everything_ marked as manual delete only. So, technically, since all of the auto-delete files are available for deletion, you may have all of your drive space available for new recordings.

- Andy
Old 03-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Sage Icon

I think you are missing the point of the feature. The purpose of the feature is to determine how much can be recorded before unwatched shows are overwritten. This can be done by manually deleting all watched shows and then checking the available disk space or it can be done as I do by adding up all of the viewed shows to see how much time can be recorded.

I personally would take the feature one step further and request that the software look at the available deleteable programs and the requested scheduled recodings and determine the time that unwatched programs will be overwritten. The reason this is needed is that most recordings probably take place starting during prime time ending in the middle of the night. I would like to know before I go to bed that I have enough disk space for the recordings without losing any unwatched shows.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Administrator

OK, that clarification made more sense to me so I can see what you mean. (If that was what ToxMox meant too.) I guess you would want, at a minimum, to have it at least list the amount of watched shows, if your desired overwrite time isn't calculated. An easy visual for your request would be to draw a line on the Recording Schedule where unwatched shows will begin to be deleted.

I never get to that point since I'm a little more hands-on about all this than most people seem to be: once I've watched a show, I immediately delete it. If it is something I've decided isn't important enough to watch & I want to make sure I have room for 'better' shows about to be recorded, I delete it. If IR starts recording too many episodes of some kids show for my daughter, I delete a few. So, I never get to the point of having the drives get full. I guess I'm afraid to let SageTV decide what to get rid of.

I wouldn't mind seeing the info screen display the recording time available for the free diskspace using the default recording time, instead of just a GB value, such as: "120 GB (40 hours at 3GB per hr)".

- Andy
Old 03-04-2004, 11:26 PM
Sage Icon

Yes, a line like the current time indicator would be ideal.

The only time I delete shows is when I want to defrag my disk. I am at a slight disadvantage here because I have not yet done extensive testing with the beta. With the release version, deleting a program causes Sage to think you don't like the program which is another pain to deal with.

The estimated recoding time available would also be nice, as would an option to stop recoding instead of overwriting unwatched shows.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by carlgar
With the release version, deleting a program causes Sage to think you don't like the program which is another pain to deal with.
Are you sure? I know v1.4 would show an X through the show when you manually delete it, but I saw other comments on the forum somewhere that noted it was simply part of the process of deleting the show; it didn't actually mark it as 'don't like'. In v1.4, I deleted episodes of my daughter's kids shows & IR would continue to record more of them. Maybe someone else can confirm this one way or the other.

- Andy
Old 03-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Sage Icon

Deleteing a show definitely does not mark it as dont like. I have deleted in all versions of sage since 1.3. It has never done what you describe. And tomox's question was regarding deleted files, not watched files. Read his second post.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by falchulk
Deleteing a show definitely does not mark it as dont like. I have deleted in all versions of sage since 1.3. It has never done what you describe. And tomox's question was regarding deleted files, not watched files. Read his second post.
You're right, I said files I've marked for deletion. I somewhat misspoke. I meant the files I've said "Yes" to when the show ends and it asks if Sage can delete the show. I'm actually not referring to the files I literally choose to delete in the options of the show. The files I'm talking about are still on the hard drive and can still be found in SageTV doing a search or viewing Additional Airings.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Sage Icon

I guess toxMox will need to clarify exacty what he does mean. However, I still think he wants to know how much total recording space is available before SageTV starts overwriting unwatched shows. This would include fragments from live TV that SageTV knows it can delete.

As far as the don't like issue, it may not be as bad as I thought. I just deleted tow shows marked as favorites to see what happened. These shows are marked as don't like for shows already recorded, options also show clear don't like. However, when I look at future shows to be recorded they are still listed as favorites and not marked as don't like. I dpn't use IR so not sure of the effect there. I will hedge on the above statements by saying that SageTV may just not have gotten around to the future shows yet. The reason I mentioned this in the first place was that one of these shows did get removed from my favorites and I thought it was because of the don't like flag. I will not know for sure untill monday whether these shows will be recorded or not.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ToxMox
I meant the files I've said "Yes" to when the show ends and it asks if Sage can delete the show.
As an aside... I believe those are manual recordings & SageTV just wants to know whether it can automatically delete them when/if needed. I wondered for the longest time why I kept saying "YES, delete that show"... and then it would stick around, requiring manual deletion. This is a separate issue from the one where in v1.4 I would manually delete the show, SageTV would remove it from the list, but the file wasn't deleted -- that seems to work for me now in v2.

- Andy
Old 03-05-2004, 08:01 AM
Sage Icon

I actually like that the files don't get deleted until Sage needs the space. Comes in handy when someone I know misses an episode of a show and I still have the file.