SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-29-2009, 04:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Putting Multiple heads on my sage-beast

Has anyone made an attempt to run sage twice on the same hardware? heres why i ask. I've got my Sage machine in a closet in my office, along with my HDHR and a couple Dish boxes running into my PVR-500. I have this machine hooked up to my HDTV in the living room, and use a USB-UIRT to control it from there, as well as the USB-UIRT in the office to control the Dish boxes.

Currently, when i want to watch TV in the office, i have to fire up client on my desktop, and share the screen space with the tv. I'm curious if it is possible, instead, to put an install of SageClient on the sage machine in the closet, and hook up a tv/monitor to the 2nd output from the vid card, along with some PC speakers on the built-in sound card, and use it for viewing in there? (I could easily configure Girder to send commands from teh office's USB-UIRT to SageClient, and the other in th eliving room to Sage). i guess the biggest problem might be making sure that the sage client opens up on the right screen, but as it's a different classname, i SHOULD be able to automate that as well.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-29-2009, 06:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Has anyone made an attempt to run sage twice on the same hardware? heres why i ask. I've got my Sage machine in a closet in my office, along with my HDHR and a couple Dish boxes running into my PVR-500. I have this machine hooked up to my HDTV in the living room, and use a USB-UIRT to control it from there, as well as the USB-UIRT in the office to control the Dish boxes.

Currently, when i want to watch TV in the office, i have to fire up client on my desktop, and share the screen space with the tv. I'm curious if it is possible, instead, to put an install of SageClient on the sage machine in the closet, and hook up a tv/monitor to the 2nd output from the vid card, along with some PC speakers on the built-in sound card, and use it for viewing in there? (I could easily configure Girder to send commands from teh office's USB-UIRT to SageClient, and the other in th eliving room to Sage). i guess the biggest problem might be making sure that the sage client opens up on the right screen, but as it's a different classname, i SHOULD be able to automate that as well.

Why not just add a second monitor to your desktop and watch Sage on that? Or use the video out (if you have it) from your desktop to another tv. Two issues with your thoughts: 1. You have to run Vista in order to get hardware acceleration on a secondary monitor (aka second tv). Won't work with XP. 2. I am not sure how the audio is going to handle your situation. I worry that it will either fail or you will end up hearing both streams at both locations.

Someone else can give their two cents worth on my above issues.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Sage User

Get a second monitor for the client, that's what I have. I watch sage on one and do stuff on the other.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Already have 2 monitors on the client, hence the problem. Sound shouldn't be a problem, as the too instances will be using different .properties files, and as you can specify what audio renderer to use, you can specify which sound card to use. (My living room is using a USB sound card located out there, leaving the local motherboard sound for use in the office).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Administrator

SageTV and SageTV Client can run simultaneously on the same PC; I do that all the time during development. If you aren't using service mode, you can also use SageTV as a client UI -- see Appendix D for that parameter.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
SageTV and SageTV Client can run simultaneously on the same PC; I do that all the time during development. If you aren't using service mode, you can also use SageTV as a client UI -- see Appendix D for that parameter.

- Andy
Thanks Opus, I was hoping there wouldn't be some check that prevented client from running if sagetv is already up. I do run in Service Mode now, and use SageTV.exe as a client to watch TV on my main set. My plan is to also install SageClient (I have an unused lisense floating about) as well and use that for the 2nd (local) monitor.