SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

You can in fact read AND write with the drive formatted ext3. It takes a little bit longer to back up a DVD, but I attribute that to wireless. So far so good. I need to do a bit more experimenting to feel comfortable moving my entire video collection to the external drive as of yet. I'd have to do a lot of moving around, reformat my 2TB external drive, then move everything back to it. For now, everything is working fine wireless, so I'll wait to do that until I get into HD video.

If anyone else can read and write to a local NTFS formatted USB drive on the HD200, let it be known. I didn't find anything specific about formatting it to ext3 on order to work. Then again I may have missed something.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_ View Post
This isn't an issue with ext3 since it has better handling of blocks and we haven't seen it have issues related to block size.

_Demo_
Thanx,

Since blocksize doesn't cause a problem, I have formatted to ext3. The copy option appears to be working. I also installed Ext2ifs_1_11a and am able to read and write to the drive from windows. I think that pretty much takes care of my issues for this since I'm not really attached to ntfs.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason22 View Post
Thanx,

Since blocksize doesn't cause a problem, I have formatted to ext3. The copy option appears to be working. I also installed Ext2ifs_1_11a and am able to read and write to the drive from windows. I think that pretty much takes care of my issues for this since I'm not really attached to ntfs.
With this setup, can SageTV on a networked PC use the ext3 drive connected to the HD200 as a recording directory? In other words, can Sage record directly to a usb drive connected to the HD200? If so, that would most likely cause me to purchase an extender right now since it would eliminate the need of a NAS drive.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulinigo View Post
With this setup, can SageTV on a networked PC use the ext3 drive connected to the HD200 as a recording directory? In other words, can Sage record directly to a usb drive connected to the HD200? If so, that would most likely cause me to purchase an extender right now since it would eliminate the need of a NAS drive.
I tried this, but it did not work for me. It kind of froze. But I don't know if I can test this for you in a meaningful way. I'm using sage4 server and using an old wireless G router flashed with dd-wrt as an access point. When I copy a movie over the network, it is fairly slow though I have been able to play SD over the network from the device without issue. The write process to the usb drive might slow it down further. It still may work for you since It was writing to the drive. The HD200 doesn't seem to be preventing it.

I never intended to use it this way myself. My usage is not the norm and I don't use the record functionality frequently. If I recorded more, I'd be more likely to just setup an autocopy job of some kind to keep it in synch. That is probably only an option for someone like me who doesn't use all the advanced watched/auto delete functionality. For me the drive on the HD200 is my backup drive put to good use.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Sage User

Hey Jason

I just was doing a search for this read only issue on the HD200 and came across this thread. Funny, I posted about the same thing back in January and received not a peep.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38329

I haven't tried EXT3 yet but FAT32 was a failure much like you experienced. I do believe its due to the use of the NTFS driver they are using instead of NTFS-3G which works fine in all my other *nix based systems.

I will give EXT3 a whirl tonight and see what happens. With samba, I really don't care too much about the underlying filesystem type.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by petely View Post
Hey Jason

I just was doing a search for this read only issue on the HD200 and came across this thread. Funny, I posted about the same thing back in January and received not a peep.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38329

I haven't tried EXT3 yet but FAT32 was a failure much like you experienced. I do believe its due to the use of the NTFS driver they are using instead of NTFS-3G which works fine in all my other *nix based systems.

I will give EXT3 a whirl tonight and see what happens. With samba, I really don't care too much about the underlying filesystem type.
Ext3 is still working well for me. A little slow on file transfers, but no real problems. After some research, I came to the same conclusion about NTFS-3g, but I never got a confirmation of that. I had thought that it might not be a free driver though so that would explain why it isn't included.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Sage User

NTFS-3G is a free and open source driver. It might not been a part of the stripped down distro that they built the HD200 on or there might have concerns about resource utilization or possibly corruption of data. Honestly, I would believe it was just an oversight as the NTFS driver was available and the need to r/w to an attached drive wasn't considered high enough to actually try to compile the NTFS-3G driver for the HD200 hardware in light of all the other stuff that needed to go out before shipping.

It would be nice if this information could be added to an FAQ or wiki or something.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by petely View Post
NTFS-3G is a free and open source driver. It might not been a part of the stripped down distro that they built the HD200 on or there might have concerns about resource utilization or possibly corruption of data. Honestly, I would believe it was just an oversight as the NTFS driver was available and the need to r/w to an attached drive wasn't considered high enough to actually try to compile the NTFS-3G driver for the HD200 hardware in light of all the other stuff that needed to go out before shipping.

It would be nice if this information could be added to an FAQ or wiki or something.
Sorry, I meant being gpl it might put sage under an obligation that vanilla linux with linking exclusion did not so then they might have to purchase it. NTFS-3g seemed to be offering a commercial version on their site as well as a gpl one which gave me that impression. I would rather you were correct though. Then sage would be likely to offer it in a future release. I think it is important myself because ntfs seems to be the most commonly recommended file system, and sage appear to offer the desired functionality with other filesystems that are less well suited for the task.

Last edited by jason22; 03-21-2009 at 05:01 PM.