SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD200 initial impressions

Well, I've integrated my 2 new HD200's into the system and I've got to say they are GREAT. It was running a little glitchy doing skips at first, but I upgraded the firmware, and they've been solid ever since.

I am staying on 6.4 as I have a complex setup with HDHomerun's, R5000Mod's, and 3 clients, 4 HD Extenders and can't afford the system not working while folks visit from out of town. I've e-mailed Sage for the 2 extra licenses I need.

My initial impressions (v. HD100/Clients)...5 sec wait is a non-issue...my TV hasn't even dropped the initial "Input 6 selected" balloon before the SageMC screen is up and ready. I like the fact that I can press ok in that first 5 sec's and configure the extender.

I watched a combination of Live SD and HD TV and HD .mkv's (just quick test and all the mkv's worked...these also worked on HD100 so I don't know if the HD200 is any "better"). The 200 extender seems to perform better than the 100 or PC Client (less glitchy with macro blocking or weird skips). I now think I am ready to ditch my Fios set top and use HD200 for 100% of TV viewing. Watched the SD Cal Washington game on mostly delay (cought up to real time late 4th quarter) watched the SEC game in HD again mostly delay, watched USC live, watched Oklahoma in 30 min with lots of skipping all tape delay. Usually this much viewing and I'll get some weird glichyness...but the HD200's were so near flawless, I can't complain.

Only weird thing was this morning when I tried to power up the HD200 it wouldn't power up (green light just flashing, red wouldn't come on.) I unplugged it and it started right up on re-power...hope this isn't a foreshadow...fingers crossed.

The HD200 is able to load more covers than the HD100. I loaded my whole video library (maybe 500 covers) and although the HD200 waits until you page to a cover to load it, once loaded, they all stayed in memory (HD100 would reload after maybe 100~200 covers so the interface was not as snappy)...just wish sage would load covers in the background during idle so they are there more often...

So far, I am a very happy camper with the HD200 and will have it replace Client PC's as they can't handle .mkv's like the HD200 can. All of my experience is using HD200 to run the SageMC app...haven't tried anything in standalone.

Can anyone fill me in on how to use as placeshifter? I am traveling some this holiday season and it would be cool to carry my video library with me.

For those that asked, the HD200 is about as heavy as the HD100...didn't weigh it, but I'd guess it really is ~3 lbs, with 2 lbs of other stuff (wires etc) to make it really 5 lbs for shipping...my first impression when I picked up the box was "wow this is heavy"...I was expecting it to feel "empty", much more dense! It gets warm but not alarmingly so (probably because of the density, chip used, and smaller ventilation).

I'll hook up the kill-a-watt and let folks know how much juice it sucks in another thread...
Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I confirmed the new HD200 uses the same 6-8 watts as the HD100. Variation is between standby and active usage.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmv View Post
Only weird thing was this morning when I tried to power up the HD200 it wouldn't power up (green light just flashing, red wouldn't come on.) I unplugged it and it started right up on re-power...hope this isn't a foreshadow...fingers crossed.
I got my two last night and hooked them up also. I saw this same thing when coming out of standby a few times. I also locked it up a few times in standalone mode. I chalk this up to some tweaking they need to do in the firmware.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I actually don't like the fact it doesn't have a real power switch. I use my single HD200 for my main TV, so I don't mind it being powered up all the time, but on my other two TV's, they get a lot less use. I have HD100's on them, so I usually leave them powered off.

6-8 watts isn't a lot, but I do have three of them. I already leave my Sage server on 24/7, so every little bit helps.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

One thing I have noticed is that it is a LOT quicker than the HD100 when using the default STV with menu animations on my systems.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGk View Post
One thing I have noticed is that it is a LOT quicker than the HD100 when using the default STV with menu animations on my systems.
You should see it with SageMC and the movies Plugin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTjYP...en-add-on.html
Old 12-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Sage User

Got 2 and connected them over the weekend.

They work great except for one small complaint.... The red and green lights are way too bright and the blinking is annoying when trying to watch TV. I have the HD200 sitting right on top of the TV.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpott6 View Post

They work great except for one small complaint.... The red and green lights are way too bright and the blinking is annoying when trying to watch TV. I have the HD200 sitting right on top of the TV.
Window tint film may fix that
Old 12-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Got mine 2day

Received my two today. Set up without any problems. It does seem faster scrolling the menus when a video is active. Tried Playon. Looks like it's not ready for us yet. It took 20 minutes to get to a Hulu folder that was empty!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpott6 View Post

Yeah, that annoyed me too. If you put a piece of electrical tape on any clean piece of glass like a window or something (clean and dry), and then take an exacto knife or other sharp razor blade and slice 2 little 2mm by 2mm squares in the tape, and then use the sharp small tip of the blade and scoop it up so it is stuck on the corner of the tip. Then lay it carefully over the LED so it is perfectly level, and push it into place with your finger. This is what I do to all of my annoying LEDs in the house. It looks so neat and clean you can't even tell they are covers on LEDs and you never could tell it was taped. If you get up close you just see like this little black square that looks like a decal.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojosch View Post
Yeah, that annoyed me too. If you put a piece of electrical tape on any clean piece of glass like a window or something (clean and dry), and then take an exacto knife or other sharp razor blade and slice 2 little 2mm by 2mm squares in the tape, and then use the sharp small tip of the blade and scoop it up so it is stuck on the corner of the tip. Then lay it carefully over the LED so it is perfectly level, and push it into place with your finger. This is what I do to all of my annoying LEDs in the house. It looks so neat and clean you can't even tell they are covers on LEDs and you never could tell it was taped. If you get up close you just see like this little black square that looks like a decal.
I was thinking about some tape over them, but this seems more "professional". I'll give it a try.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 11:43 AM

YouTube Post

MikeJ could post the listing of all software involved and versions to get the look of the YouTube Video.

I have been using STV for about a year using the standard interface, but now I am now looking exploring SageMC and other addins.

Thks
Old 12-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
MikeJ could post the listing of all software involved and versions to get the look of the YouTube Video.

I have been using STV for about a year using the standard interface, but now I am now looking exploring SageMC and other addins.

Thks
Check out the thread at:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37512
This is where you will get all of the instructions for using this plugin created by jaminben.
The direct download is at:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=280

The video comes from Brent who runs the Geektonic website.
http://www.geektonic.com/2008/12/sag...en-add-on.html